Trying to Get Pregnant

Intro and Breastfeeding Toddler/Potential Short Luteal Phase Question

Hi everyone! We are ttc our second child. I was active on the Dec. 13 board with my first. I am still breastfeeding my 26 month old son and am a little afraid nursing hormones may hamper our ability to have another child. I have just started charting. Last month I had a 32 day cycle but I did not do an OPK. This month I did an OPK and got a positive on day 26, which would give me a 6 day luteal phase (too short from what I understand) if my cycle is the same length. I did a little research and starting taking a B complex vitamin, evening primrose oil supplement and a natural progesterone cream in an effort to lengthen my luteal phase. Anyone have any experience or advice for me? Thanks in advance! 

Re: Intro and Breastfeeding Toddler/Potential Short Luteal Phase Question

• Honestly, stop the supplements. Without temping you have no idea if your positive OPK was from ovulation or a false surge. You could be "treating" a problem you dont actually have, which can cause more harm than good. Breastfeeding can totally make your cycles wonky. Pick up a BBT and get started on temping.

• You cycle can change every month.  You have NO FREAKING CLUE how long your LP is.  Zero clue.  You could have ovulated on CD 20 last month and have a 12 day LP.  Don't assume you O'd on the same day as last cycle.  Don't borrow trouble and stop the supplements

and

https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ttc-while-bf/
  • Loading the player...
  • Okay, good advice. Thanks! 
  • In two words: lurk more. 

BF and effects on LPs are discussed often. I also recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility and completing the Tutorials on Fertility Friend. 

And definitely stop with the progesterone cream. If you don't know when you ovulated, then you don't know when to use the progesterone cream and you could be doing a lot more damage than good. You should only be using it under direction of a doctor.

The only thing you should be taking right now is a prenatal vitamin. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • I'm nursing #2 (2.5 years old) and the opposite is true for me (longer cycles & LP). Good luck!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks! I did a search but didn't see much on the topic as it related to my question. I will be lurking more I'm sure.
  • I don't have any advice per say, but welcome! My son turned 2 in October and we're still nursing 2-3x/day and TTC #2. I just started temping this cycle, so I'm not sure what O looks like for me quite yet, but my cycles have been regular since DS turned 1, so I see that as a positive.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • champhe said:
    Thanks! I did a search but didn't see much on the topic as it related to my question. I will be lurking more I'm sure.
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12574144/luteal-phase-defect-question
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Agreed with all pp. Stop with everything but pnv.

I am also nursing an 11 month old. I will bump up an old thread for you so you can see who is a regular participant who is in a similar boat and ask questions.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks!! That would be great.