September 2016 Moms

ZIKA VIRUS POSITIVE THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT BLOOD CLOTTING

Hello all,

This is my first time writing on here. Quickly please think good thoughts for me. I live and work in Managua, Nicaragua and the first cases of the Zika Virus have been detected as of tonight:-( i love love love my job with the Peace Corps in their training department, love my life here in Nica and am so sad about this horrible epidemic.  Will most likely be stateside soon - i need start looking for a new job.. has anyone looked for a job while pregnant? Man, this is not what I was expecting with my first pregnancy :(

Second Question: Nica doctors are not very aware of some gene mutations that increase the chances of blood clotting, especially when pregnant. They have me on aspirin a day but honestly don't really know anything about what I have. Should I be on Heperin? I have Factor 5 Leiden and Prothrombin. I see a new OBGYN tomorrow that will hopefully have a better idea.

Good night, from under my mosquito net :) I am staying covered, deeted up and doors clothes, AC on all day long. 

Cheers

Re: ZIKA VIRUS POSITIVE THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT BLOOD CLOTTING

• izzetootizzetoot member
    edited January 2016
    I also have Factor5 Prothrombin, so random bc it is such a rare disorder! But this is my 2nd pregnancy and with both I took (am taking) 30mg of Lovenox (enoxoparin) once a day as an injection I give myself in the stomach.  Around 30 weeks I will be switched to Heparin and that is bc lovenox and epidurals do not mix so if you go into early labor or require csection you will be able to get an epi for pain.  I was also induced about 3 weeks early and am closely monitored by my OB, MFM and Hematologist.  I see them almost every 2 weeks for the entire pregnancy.  Taking baby asprin is good! So keep doing that, but once you switch to a blood thinner (lovenox) its unnecessary.  

Keep yourself safe and healthy and let me know if you have any other questions or need to chat! 

Edited to to add you should also stay away from excess Vitamin K, so lay off hearty leafy greens like spinach & kale :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Im on Lovenox too for clothing problems. Have you had a dvt or PE episode ? I was put on the shot at the 8 weeks Mark. To reassure you the risks start really increasing in the second and third trimester (highest risk is postpartum) so you'll have time to find someone to prescribe it. Maybe print some protocol to show the doctors?
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both so much. Yes, I am printing (and translating) your replies and some things on the internet I have found. No, I have not had a DVT or PE. My uncle had 2 a while back - which was the catalyst for my family to get tested. But I have not have one.  thank you so much for sharing. 

• I know that some doctor without episode of DVT will have a more laid back approach, but in my opinion (knowing someone who lost her baby due to clothing problems) it's not worth the risk! Do they have maternal foetal Doctors (high risks?) in Managua? Maybe ask for a transfer
  • I also have factor V however I have the homozygous gene which I guess is the better one ? My doctor just has me on the aspirin for now. Should I be worried ?
  • @mpijun I have factor 5 prothrombin gene mutation and was discovered by the increase in estrogen my body was exposed to by simply taking birth control.  I developed a blood clot that was trapped in my brain and had brain surgery when I was a teenager. At the time I had only been taking birth control for a few months. So naturally when you are pregnant there is a huge increase in not only estrogen but all kinds of other hormones that can cause your blood to become thicker potentially resulting in a blood clot.  I would recommend speaking to a hematologist if you are concerned.  From what I have been told its a pretty rare disorder to have and your OB might not be as aware of the risks/educated in this type disorder as a hematologist who specializes in blood.

• Best of luck with staying mosquito free! Maybe there is something you could eat that would make you less appetizing as well? 
    Me:35, DH 37  ~ Married July 2014
    ttc July 2015 ~ bfp Nov 2015 (cp)
    bfp Dec 2015 ~ (tfmr 17wk, March 2016, genetic disease)
    ttcal May 2016
  • I hate mosquitoes. I just learned about the Zika virus myself. I'm happy that it's winter out here in PA. Mosquitoes also carry the West Nile Virus. It scares me that mosquitoes carry multiple viruses, and I'm scared myself, this is my first pregnancy as well and I'm 18 years old. I don't blame you for being scared, I'm terrified myself. :(
  • thank you all for the zika virus thoughts... !

My doctor gave me clexane today which i looked up is similar to lovenex. I just gave yself my first shot and I immediately threw up and then had tingling hands. has this happened to any of you? do you put the shot in at a 90 degree or 30 degree? My doctor said 90 degree but I just googled it a bunch and it said 90 degree. thoughts?

• I learned that the zika virus is more dangerous for pregnant women, than a person who's not! :(
  • Hey guys, sorry for popping in a little late on this! I was shocked to find so many other people with BOTH the Factor V and prothrombin genetic mutations, for which I am heterozygous. I am 5 weeks along and my doctor said that we would start low doses of Lovenox next week. Not to worry anyone who didn't already know, but I was told by my hematologist that we have a higher chance for complications and MC. So trying not to freak myself out, but I'll admit to being worried (my poor hubby keeps having to deal with hormone enabled crying jags). I had a bi-lateral (both lungs) PE last year and a small infarction (where some of the tissue died from lack of blood/oxygen). I was in the hospital for 4 days. My clotting incident was also caused by taking hormonal birth control (now banned for me for life). Since I have been in contact with my hematologist since that lovely incident I actually got my OBGYN referral from her (I guess some wont even deal with pregnancies like ours?). Now I am working with the one high risk clinic in the area.

meganschuck: Oh how I dread having to start the shots next week (they hurt!). Good luck with that :(

mpijun: My understanding was that heterozygous is better then homozygous because hetero means that only half of the chromosome has the mutation. If you are unsure I would get a referral to a hematologist from who ever diagnosed you. StoptheClot.org has a lot of info on it if you are interested. https://www.stoptheclot.org/learn_more/genetics__testing.htm 

~ Diana

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • thank you all for the zika virus thoughts... !

My doctor gave me clexane today which i looked up is similar to lovenex. I just gave yself my first shot and I immediately threw up and then had tingling hands. has this happened to any of you? do you put the shot in at a 90 degree or 30 degree? My doctor said 90 degree but I just googled it a bunch and it said 90 degree. thoughts?

I was told to pinch my skin around my belly button and insert the needle in a 90 degree angle.  Its never made me nauseous and usually doesn't hurt all that bad either.