December 2015 Moms

MOTN 1/27

amye02amye02 member
edited January 2016 in December 2015 Moms
I have the best or strangest ideas / thoughts / epiphanies during night feedings, which I don't remember afterwards. I can really only compare it to my college days and the brilliant ideas lost in the haze of herbal experimentation.

Tonight I realized my DS will never experience the thrill of having successfully passed an artfully folded note in school. That made me a little sad.

Re: MOTN 1/27

• Loading the player...
  • We're limiting electronics and our son will have toys like blocks to play with. We're trying to keep it "old school"

We're doing the same with DD. Mostly because I'm not a fan of the expense of electronics or the noise and I'm not sure why everything needs to light up or make sounds.
    To be honest we're limiting toys in general. We have very little storage space in our apartment.
  • I wish DD could grow up like I did. A small town where everyone knew everyone and it was safe to play outside until dusk. I didn't own any major electronics until I was in high school. DH is a city boy so we are staying in the city, sigh. I love the old school toys idea, batteries are expensive. Lol
  • We are going to limit the electronics too.  It's not so much DH or I that I'm worried about with buying and/or providing DS with the stuff, it's the Grandparents.  My Dad bought all 3 of the boys, (he has 2 other grandsons) these Amazon fire tablets that were on special, on Black Friday at Best Buy.  Mind you, DS was not even born yet at the time, and my 2 nephews are 3 and 1! I told my father to keep it as backup in case one of the other boys broke theirs,  because we do not have any use for it right now or soon.

I believe I was 13 or 14 when I had my first electronic besides a handheld cd player and it was...wait for it...a PAGER! lol. I can't even believe those things existed, now that I think back to them.  :D 
  • We had custody of my husbands nieces last year 2 girls ages 2 & 5. The 5 year old had a tablet that her mother used as a babysitter. She was developmentally behind and her hand-eye coordination was so poor. She got mad at us because we limited her use to only when we were in the car for more than 20 minutes. As soon as her mom got her back the first thing she wanted was to play with her tablet. This experience was what made me and DH decide to limit them.
  • Also limiting technology. And this kid WILL play outside and ride her bike around the neighborhood. Whatever happened to that?

And, for the record, my dad hates technology and still has a pager :)
  • We are going to limit the electronics too.  It's not so much DH or I that I'm worried about with buying and/or providing DS with the stuff, it's the Grandparents.  My Dad bought all 3 of the boys, (he has 2 other grandsons) these Amazon fire tablets that were on special, on Black Friday at Best Buy.  Mind you, DS was not even born yet at the time, and my 2 nephews are 3 and 1! I told my father to keep it as backup in case one of the other boys broke theirs,  because we do not have any use for it right now or soon.

I believe I was 13 or 14 when I had my first electronic besides a handheld cd player and it was...wait for it...a PAGER! lol. I can't even believe those things existed, now that I think back to them.  :D 

I had a pager too, but I never had a quarter for the pay phone! Now I see 8 year olds with Iphones
  • I might be an oddity but because my dad worked with computers I grew up with lots of electronics around and remember when I was 5 getting my first computer (my own computer in my bedroom). He would set it up with educational games, sometimes writing programs for it, and sit there with us (we had to learn to troubleshoot and fix our own computers). Then as balance my mom read books and did home science experiments and art projects and all sorts of other stuff without electronics with us.