July 2016 Moms

Pumps galore

Okay ladies, let's hear what pump you recommend and why. Insurance is reimbursing me for whichever one I want, and I'm overwhelmed with the choices.

Re: Pumps galore

• medela in style
  • I'm looking at the medela freestyle myself
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • From the vast amount of research I've done- this seems to be the popular/most recommended choice Medela Pump in Style
  • The Medela pump in style worked well for me. I never used hospital grade or manual, so I have no comparison points, but I do know it also has great ratings.
  • Pretty sure I had the Medela Pump-In-Style and it was wonderful; you are very lucky that you're able to pick whichever one you want!
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • HMcDade1HMcDade1 member
    edited January 2016
    https://www.breastpumps.aeroflowinc.com/
    I found this link today while on TB website. Essentially this company takes all of the guess work out of the process if you know which pump you're most interested in. They call your insurance and contact your provider for the Rx and then they call you to make sure everything is correct and that this is the style you want/is covered/ etc. Then they mail you off the requested pump. I signed up to have them handle it for me and I should be hearing from one of their company reps within 5 days so I'll let you know how that goes but it seems promising ! edited because the hyperlink was wrong.
  • @HMcDade1 do you know what the cost is for having this company do all that work for you?
    Mommy to an angel baby and a sweet little girl Earth side.
  • Just a heads-up: I tried to get a pump through Aeroflow, as I saw the same ad @HMcDade1. Come to find out they don't work with my insurance so I can't get one (which is weird, because I thought I have pretty good insurance that's widely accepted).
  • HMcDade1HMcDade1 member
    edited January 2016
    @elldel I guess we will find out if they'll work with mine or not. Mine's specific to the hospital chain I work for but I guess I'll find out when they call me.

@LifeofLauren2 they don't ask for cc info or anything and don't mention it costing anything, I think they're more interested in the $ they get from insurance companies to buy their stuff - BUT if that changes and they ask me to pay I will let you know !
  • I am jealous you can get whatever one you want! I could only go through a certain company and they only offered the Medela Pump in Style. It worked fine, I just would have gone with the freestyle if I had a choice. The battery pack on the PIS works, but not as good as plugged into a wall.
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • I just called my insurance. They're sending out the Medela In Style Advanced Starter Set and it'll be here in about 10 business days. They only offered that one or the Ameda Purely Yours, so I went with the Medela. I wish I got a fancy bag and stuff with it, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm overly excited about it. I'm trying to avoid buying things before my shower, so anything I can have now is exciting.
  • Anything Medela! The company stands by their product, and the pump motor is covered for a year. I had a Medela pump that stopped working (the motor sounded weird and there was no suction) and I called customer service, they shipped me a new motor overnight! That was the only issue I had with it. I'm getting another Medela (Advance) this time around.
  • @LifeofLauren2 You don't have to pay for anything through Aeroflow unless you want an upgrade from what your insurance covers (this may only be an option for certain types of insurances though). I got the Medela PIS and I had a few upgrade options, but didn't want to pay anything, so it was free. Definitely worth checking out.
  • I was an exclusive pumper. I'm still on the pumping forums... I used two Medela's and they worked for me. The ladies on the forum are pretty obsessed with the Spectra S1 (or 2... Can't remember which). They get REALLY excited about the Spectra and the output they get from it. I may try that next if I get another (and keep my Medela)
  • I EP'ed for 9 months, used the Ameda Purely Yours and it did the job fine. Two things that enabled me to pump for so long:
    1. For the first three months after delivery, while I was on maternity leave, I rented the hospital grade pump from my hospital. I kept it upstairs in the baby's room for middle of the night pumps and had the Ameda downstairs for when I wanted to watch tv or whatever. I strongly believe that this established my supply and helped me stick to the every two hour schedule.

2. I played around with lots of different flange sizes at different times. My breasts fluctuated in size as my supply first came in, then was established, then when my pumping schedule changed. Sometimes I would think I was losing supply, and I would change size and blam, back to normal. I also used coconut oil EVERY time I pumped. Made things much easier on the ole nips.

Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I EPed for 10.5 months. I loved my avent double electric! Fit right into my bottles.
  • Medela Pump in Style Advanced because it's double electric, works well, and...  Well...  It's $250, so make the jerks pay. ;)
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • I'm slightly torn between the portability of the Freestyle and the work horse PISA. However, I've read a lot of reviews about the freestyle that it doesn't have a great suction. Anyone with experience using both? Or the Spectra S1 or S2?
    There are so many options! Ugh. I kinda wish insurance would just pick for me haha.
  • The best pump in the whole wide world is the Medela Symphony. But since that's not the most portable (or even near affordable) choice... hands down the Medela Pump In Style Advance
  • My insurance will cover any hospital grade one I want so I think I'm leaning towards Spectra but I'm heavily considering the Medela in Style Advance.
  • Sigh. I hated pumping. My only advice is to put the Netflix app on your phone if you're going to pump at work :)
    @givemepenguinss OMG JEALOUS! I didn't have phone access in my tiny room where I pumped... Ohh how I would have loved to have been able to watch Netflix! I just played a lot of Candy Crush and listened to books on tape lololol.

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ladythriceladythrice member
    edited January 2016
    My insurance will cover any hospital grade one I want so I think I'm leaning towards Spectra but I'm heavily considering the Medela in Style Advance.
    @Heathereaddy I'm not sure what your insurance covers but a point of clarification, the Spectra S2 is a hospital grade pump (closed system) but the Medela Pump In Style Advanced is not. Medela's hospital grade pump is called a Symphony and it is VERY expensive ($2000+) and its very rare that insurance companies cover the purchase of this pump. They do however sometimes cover the rental of this hospital grade pump though!

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ladythrice thanks for the info. The rep I spoke to just said any hospital grade pump so I was thinking of the spectra 2 since it qualifies and has great reviews. I know the medela isn't hospital grade (I should have clarified that) but since I've heard good things about that one also I'm still considering it. The rep didn't mention anything about a price limit on the pump but I can't imagine them paying that kind of money for one.
  • jlgriff11 said:
    This thread has taught me that I have a lot to learn about breastfeeding and pumping.
    One thing you will never get out of your brain, is the sound of the pump. My DD is four, and I still remember that sound, clear as day. Even my husband cringes when I mention the pump or night time pumping, because he remembers the sound. And whenever we are talking to other people, he is like "OMG.....the sound of that thing....its like a bad nightmare!" The sound isn't bad, I think that it is just because we were both hearing it every two hours. And when you are trying to sleep at night, and all you hear is WHEE-WEE-WHEE-WEE-WHEE-WEE the sound will sound ten times worse than it actually is. LOL! 

Haha I have one pic of my pumping just because I had to. I really hope not to pump this next time otherwise I might go crazy!
  • I had the PISA and it did not work well for me. By 7 months, 2 prescriptions, a million herbal supplements, etc my supply had tanked. When I first went back to work, I had no issues, but after months of pumping my supply was low and almost impossible to get back up. I am planning on getting a Spectra S2 or seeing if my insurance will pay for a Symphony rental this time.

• jlgriff11 said:

This thread has taught me that I have a lot to learn about breastfeeding and pumping.

One thing you will never get out of your brain, is the sound of the pump. My DD is four, and I still remember that sound, clear as day. Even my husband cringes when I mention the pump or night time pumping, because he remembers the sound. And whenever we are talking to other people, he is like "OMG.....the sound of that thing....its like a bad nightmare!" The sound isn't bad, I think that it is just because we were both hearing it every two hours. And when you are trying to sleep at night, and all you hear is WHEE-WEE-WHEE-WEE-WHEE-WEE the sound will sound ten times worse than it actually is. LOL! 
    Agreed!!!!

Mine always said "PAT BOONE" or "BATHROOM" over and over and over again. It was enough to drive me nuts.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I also didn't love the Pisa! Ds was in the nicu and I used the medela symphony in the pumping room at the hospital while he was there so the Pisa just never compared! I haven't looked into yet what my insurance will cover this time around but I have better insurance than I did last year with ds, so hoping the spectra 2 or to rent the medela symphony if they cover it!
  • I EP'd for nearly 12 months and I bought all the pumping paraphernalia.  I got a hygeia Q https://store.hygeiahealth.com/Hygeia-Q/dp/B00U2XOYA2 for free through my insurance. It was adequate for traveling--I bought a car adapter to pump in the car whenever I wanted to leave the house for more than a couple hours.  

But I rented a hospital grade Ameda pump from my hospital for the duration--I firmly believe that it worked 10x better than any consumer grade pump and was worth the additional cost. https//jet.com/product/detail/f36d1ab35f6245a19859a77a8443266fjcmp=pla:ggl:baby_toddler_a1:nursing_feeding_breast_pumps_a1_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=5a8c84bb-ace1-4b04-85ab-3040f9372a66&abkId=403-22189&gclid=CKKV08DDy8oCFVQYHwodmM4ITA  I did have to replace the valves frequently to maintain suction power. And It was nice to have a backup pumping option in case something broke.  For a hormonal mommy whose breasts are about to explode, a malfunctioning pump is a catastrophe of the highest order. 

Some other stuff you might need if you're a frequent pumper:
    • An additional set of flanges, etc.  Time spent washing pumping stuff is nearly as soul-crushing as the sound of the pump.  I loved having an extra set so I could put off washing for a couple hours.  Some people are able to keep their pumping stuff in the fridge between sessions in lieu of washing more than once a day, but my stuff got gummed up with the lanolin i used to soothe my nipples.
    • Try a lot of different flanges and consider having a lactation consultant help you find the right flange size.  I ended up using "pumpin pals" https://www.pumpinpal.com/ 
    • I applied heated pads https://www.buybamboobies.com/products/boob-ease-soothing-therapy-pillows-1 to my boobs for a few minutes before pumping and ate lactation cookies https://www.milkmakers.com/  to up my production.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Dumb question.. So do you have to have a doctor prescribed you a certain kind for it to be covered by insurance or just ask the insurance itself and run it through them after..?
  • ninji15 said:
    Dumb question.. So do you have to have a doctor prescribed you a certain kind for it to be covered by insurance or just ask the insurance itself and run it through them after..?
    Depends on your insurance. Usually you can just call and ask them what brands and models they will cover. Some are specific (like mine only offers one brand/model), there are some that will just tell you that it has to be under a certain amount, there are some that have a handful of models/brands to choose from, and there are some that don't have specific brands/models, but they want you to order it from a specific website.

• ninji15 said:

Dumb question.. So do you have to have a doctor prescribed you a certain kind for it to be covered by insurance or just ask the insurance itself and run it through them after..?

Depends on your insurance. Usually you can just call and ask them what brands and models they will cover. Some are specific (like mine only offers one brand/model), there are some that will just tell you that it has to be under a certain amount, there are some that have a handful of models/brands to choose from, and there are some that don't have specific brands/models, but they want you to order it from a specific website.

My insurance just said "send us the receipt" and they'll reimburse the cost. Call your insurance to find out what they cover.