April 2016 Moms

STM Questions... what small things to re-use what to re-buy?

edited January 2016 in April 2016 Moms
Just wondering what some of you ladies are doing in terms of baby supplies that you still have from your first or second children?  Things like bottles, crib sheets and protectors, burp clothes, bibs... re-using or re-buying?  We still have a lot of stuff and not sure if it's "safe" to reuse them?  
TIA!

Re: STM Questions... what small things to re-use what to re-buy?

• We're reusing almost everything. We may buy a few new bottles (but I'm really hoping we won't need as many) and we'll be buying new pacifiers. We'll buy her a couple new outfits in each size so not everything is hand me down, but all our stuff is in great shape.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • This will be baby #4, so we have reused a lot! All of my babies have used the same crib and bedding, as well as bottles burp cloths and bibs! Of course, when my second baby was a boy after having a girl first, we got some "boyish" items for him to use rather than pink bibs and whatnot. And while my first three kids have safely reused strollers and the infant car seat, we will be needing to purchase a new one for the new baby due to the car seat expiring last year. Otherwise, we have reused everything we can!
  • Loading the player...
  • We're reusing pretty much everything. I'm planning to buy a new crib sheet or two, because DDs aren't so nice anymore, and I need to check our bottle nipples to be sure they survived storage. DD used her pacifiers more like toys - fun every once and a while but no attachment, so they're still in good condition and will just get sanitized. We'll get more/new if he's a pacifier kid. Otherwise it's all being re-used.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are reusing pretty much everything. If it's ratty, severely stained ect we are buying new, but that is pretty minor. I am going to inspect bottle nipples and I plan to replace pacifiers but that's about it.
  • We're on baby 3 and reusing quite a bit, but some things we will need to get new.  We still have quite a few towels/wash cloths/bibs/sheets/blankets/etc.  I'll sort out the ratty looking ones, and maybe buy a few new here and there.  However, I threw out most of the bottles/sippy cups after baby 2, so I'll need to get some more of those.  And, since this is girl #3 born in the same season (spring) many clothes will be able to be reused, although I did weed out some to give away after #2, so we may need to "refresh" the wardrobe a little bit :)  Also, I have found that stains are sneaky, and tend to appear after being stored for awhile, even if they appeared clean when put away...

The hardest thing will be "sharing" the baby clothes/blankets/bottles with my 5 and 3 year old and their baby dolls, lol.  Things tend to disappear and end up on a baby doll or in the toy room.

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• We plan on reusing almost everything. I have tossed some onesies with stains and ratty burp clothes.

I did end up tossing the bottle drying "grass" because I noticed some mold. So we bought that new again.

If you plan to re-use your car seat, check the expiration date.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• rebelonerebelone member
    edited January 2016
    We are reusing everything. The only thing I'm buying is a few clothes because even though I think it's fine that he wears his sister's clothes, I don't want him to always be in pink. I'll probably rebuy pacifiers and maybe some nipples for his bottles, but I'm really going to try BFing.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I'm replacing the nipples for our bottles, cause they get worn out and the flow rate can get off. And I'll buy a few new outfits cause baby clothes are adorable and I can't stop myself. But 99% of stuff will be reused.
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• So, my oldest is 9, and a lot of the stuff I have has been used and reused for more than 6 kids (because of foster care). I had to buy a new car seat because ours expired. I also bought new bottles (the bottles I had were from 9 years ago... pretty sure they're not good anymore!). I still have to buy a new crib mattress because the one we have is over 10 yrs old, and I don't feel comfortable using it anymore. I got a new double stroller because, again, ours was really old and ratty.

We are reusing most of the baby clothing, crib linens, towels, etc. I did get rid of a few stained pieces. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not reusing anything ONLY because I'm a dummy and gave EVERYTHING away once DS outgrew it - granted there will be a 5.5 year gap between them so there's that. I did save some clothes of E's, but they are for a winter born boy and this will be a spring girl.

Hand me downs from family and friends have been welcomed though! Lol
  • The only things we haven't reused were pacifiers, stained/ratty onesies, and beginner walking shoes. Everything else is fair game.
  • I find it annoying and tough on my legs to shop so I've been relying on swap.com for baby's onsies and PJs. Hope this helps ppl like me that don't have many sources for hand-me-downs!
  • We just have to get some nuetral newborn clothes, bedding if we decide to set up the crib, and a baby blanket.

We are able to use everything else like swing, high chair, play pen etc.

Our infant seat does expire in August though. So we will be using it just through the chilly months of April and little bit of May before buying 2 convetible seats for the vehicles.
  • I've been sorting old stuff for the past few days.  We're reusing a lot.  We're reusing bottles but I'll buy new nipples and inside parts (Dr. Brown), I need a new drying rack because the other one was moldy and got tossed.  This LO is a boy so I've sorted the newborn stuff we can use (we were team green with DD) and sold or gave away the rest of the girl clothes.  I was gifted a ton of boy clothes so those are put away.  We'll reuse all our big stuff (pack and play, swing, bouncer, etc).  Our infant seat doesn't expire until December so that will be fine but we'll need at least one convertible next year (the one in DH's car expires in December, not sure when the one in my car expires).  I had to toss most of the crib seats, DD had horrible reflux and most were stained, but I still have a couple.    
  • We're reusing pretty much everything. I'll buy some new bottles and some new clothes, DS was born in Oct and we don't know if this kid is a boy or girl.
  • We're buying new bottles since those did not survive us moving. I bought some new sleep sacks since I gave away almost all of DS's to other moms. The crib we'll reuse, but DS is keeping his crib sheets, since he'll be moving into a toddler bed. I plan on saving money by making LO's new sheets.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• We'll just buy new nipples and pacifiers. DD1 isn't yet 18 months old so we still have everything and we're having another girl.
  • Thanks for this thread!  I was concerned abt bottles and the plastic breaking down. Seems like everyone has reused successfully. DD is 4yo and @Monicagail1  you are so right abt those sneaky stains!  I sold a lot of clothes last year and noticed that!  We don't know if this is boy or girl so we will maybe reuse some clothes and maybe not
  • Literally the only stuff we aren't reusing is the stuff that was destroyed- either in the house fire we had a year ago, or by the older kids themselves. Oh, and the carseat. My last two kids are still in the car seats they got when they were born.