Infertility

Anyone had a HSG test?

I'm scheduled for a HSG test on Thursday after years of TTC and I've been on Clomid for three months (but not this month due to the test).  I'm about to turn 37 and hoping for some positive results.  I know everyone is different but has anyone stopped Clomid, had a HSG test and had a BFP soon after?

Thanks!

Re: Anyone had a HSG test?

• You may want to edit your thread question to say "Has anyone had a hsg and gotten a BFP soon afterwards?" or something like that as your thread title is not what you were really asking.

Some people will say that after an HSG, it will help clear things out, which raises the rate of fertility... This factsheet from ASRM discusses the possibility.  https://www.asrm.org/FACTSHEET_Hysterosalpingogram/  Good luck!
  • Yes, I had one. It showed that tube was blocked. I had surgery to ligate the tube. 3 retrievals and 6 transfers later it worked.

It's was a marathon with a lot of hurtles but crossing the finish line makes it all worth it.

Ask your doctor if you can take anything before. I'll be honest, it was the worst thing ever.
    Baby #2 coming in August!
  • Loading the player...
  • Everyone's experience is different. Mine wasn't bad at all. I took 3 ibuprofen an hour beforehand, and it never got worse than my typical first day period cramps. Hearing the horror stories and creating the fear was worse than the actual experience for me.

The "cleanout" didn't work for me in those first 3 months, but I have heard it float around re: success. Good luck to you!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • HSG is a diagnostic test only. Some women experience a bfp after naturally or with iui since the tubes have been flushed and cleared allowing the sperm to better meet the eggs. If this isn't your problem it doesn't change anything (such as egg quality, implantation rates etc.)
    the HSG itself isn't so bad and could bring to light good information for moving forward though. Good luck.
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011
    Me: 32, DH: 32
    Diagnosis: Endometriosis

• 2012 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    • 2013 - 1 Fresh IVF with 2 day 3 embryos - BFN
    • 2014 - 1 Frozen IVF with 2 day 5 embryos - BFN
    • Took a long break, continuing trying naturally
    • Feb 2016 - Biopsy = Endo, DH sperm improved from 1% to 6% morphology
    • March 2016 - Fresh IVF cycle with acupuncture & intralipids: 20 eggs retrieved (17 mature), 7 ICSI'd fertilized, 9 naturally fertilized. 16 total embryos!
    • April 8th - 2 embryos (1ICSI and 1 Natural) transferred. (7 blastocysts frozen), April 18th - Beta = BFN
    • Sept 23rd - Lupron Depot Injection for Endo control
    • Nov 15th 2016 - Started daily Lupron Injections for upcoming FET
    • Nov 22 - Baseline US/BW - Intralipid Infusion - Start Meds for FET with immune protocol
    • Dec 16th FET transfer of 3 embryos (1 - AA, 2 - BB)
    • TW below
    • Dec 22nd - first ever bfp (very faint lines FRER & cheapie)
    • Dec 27th Beta = 192, Dec 29th Beta = 379
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    I'm a YouTube vlogger who talks about Infertility, IVF and Endometriosis. Check it out here!
    Follow along at http://liv4today.blog
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• I had one a couple years ago. Worst pain of my life, never got a bfp
  • **loss mentioned**

I did get my first (and only) BFP the cycle right after my HSG. It ended up as a chemical pregnancy so I think there was just a chromosomal anomaly that caused it not to work. BUT... the good news is egg and sperm met right after! I know another girl that got her first BFP after about 6 months of treatment after her HSG. She now has a healthy little boy!

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • ...loss mentioned...

I too had my first BFP right after my HSG. It was also my first cycle of Clomid and my first cycle post laparoscopy, so I had that working in my favor. Unfortunately it ended at about 6 and a half weeks, but I think I had several things all at once to help the process along.
  • I've had this and it was only painful for 10 seconds during the test. After that only has painful as a period cramp here and there.
  • I also wanted to give you a heads up that you may not find too many success stories with this question on this forum. Most people with success either leave the forum or participated on this forum a while (most likely longer than the 3 months) and come back to check on people/give advice where they can.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"