May 2016 Moms

Very frequent urination!

Good morning!

I'm a first-time mom here and I'm very curious as to how frequent do you urinate? I'm 22 weeks and I swear, I'm going like 12 times a day! Many times, I'll go to the restroom and 10-20 minutes later, I feel that sensation. If I touch my belly or pelvis area, I'll feel that discomfort, like if I have to wee again. My urine isn't dark, it's usually light yellow to almost clear. I always lean forward to try and empty out my entire bladder. 
I had heard that the frequent wee-wee lets up during the second trimester, but it has gotten WAY worse. From one day to the next. I already called my doc and they sent in a prescription for a UTI, but I'm not in pain when I pee, nor does it burn or itch.
Is this normal for pregnant women or do I have a reaaaaaaaally overactive bladder?

Re: Very frequent urination!

• Sounds like you're pregnant to me. ;)

I pee about every 30-45 minutes now. I also drink a crap ton of water all day long, so that doesn't help.

• So normal. Don't take the prescription unless you for sure have a UTI. I'm surprised they would call that in without seeing you.

It only gets worse with the peeing party :p
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I took the prescriptions because I was also having some pelvic pain and it was thought that this was a UTI (better to be safe than sorry). I don't have pelvic pain any longer, but still peeing like crazy.
  • Yeah I definitely wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • Yup. I got in trouble at my sonogram the other day because my bladder was full, and I had literally just peed 15 minutes earlier.

I've found that spacing out my drinking and taking small sips- rather than just downing a glass all at once- helps it absorb better, so I pee less. So does adding a tiny pinch of salt.
  • This sounds normal for me! I drink a lot of liquid throughout the day and I pee 3-4 times during the night
  • Yep, I go about every 30 mins or so, and anywhere from 1-4 times during the night. It's become really annoying
  • I worry because the bladder area is always uncomfortable. I don't get uncontrollable urges, neither am I going to wet myself. It all just feels so uncomfortable so I go to the restroom thinking it'll relieve the feeling. This happened the next day after I jogged a 5k and I wonder if I hurt something down there.
  • I worry because the bladder area is always uncomfortable. I don't get uncontrollable urges, neither am I going to wet myself. It all just feels so uncomfortable so I go to the restroom thinking it'll relieve the feeling. This happened the next day after I jogged a 5k and I wonder if I hurt something down there.

Look, if you are this worried about it, you need to call your Dr.
  • I already did and see him on Tuesday. I just wanted to know how common this is. Sheesh.
  • I already did and see him on Tuesday. I just wanted to know how common this is. Sheesh.
    As PP have implied, very.
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• yogahhyogahh member
    edited January 2016
    I'm not trying to be rude or snarky but have you read any pregnancy books or talked to any pregnant people before? Frequent urination is extremely common. I'm not sure why you are concerned about this? I probably went 15 times yesterday and never once wondered if this was an issue because I've read about what's happening to my body and what to expect. If you haven't read up on what to expect during pregnancy I would highly suggest you do so.

To add- the "uncomfortable" feeling is probably rlp. Again, a common occurace in pregnancy.

cat fail animated GIF

• Sounds like things feel different since your jog and that's why you are asking. That's fair, it might be time to change you work out routine to something lower impact- there is more weight and pressure on your pelvis (and everything in it/bladder etc) than before and things might have gotten over stretched.

I doubt anything serious has happened :) and it's always good to run things past your doctor.

You might try some gentle stretching, pelvic rocks, kagles over the next couple days, you may also find that a pregnancy support tank top helps too. Try not to worry, be gentle with yourself and take care.
  • Sounds like things feel different since your jog and that's why you are asking. That's fair, it might be time to change you work out routine to something lower impact- there is more weight and pressure on your pelvis (and everything in it/bladder etc) than before and things might have gotten over stretched. I doubt anything serious has happened :) and it's always good to run things past your doctor. You might try some gentle stretching, pelvic rocks, kagles over the next couple days, you may also find that a pregnancy support tank top helps too. Try not to worry, be gentle with yourself and take care.
    Thank you! I suppose I should have asked this previously, but it just didn't feel right - the extreme bathroom breaks literally transpired ONE DAY TO THE NEXT and after a 5k so I'd gotten a bit panicked. Of course, I do have an appointment so I'll run it by him, though he did give me permission to jog. I know frequent urination is a staple of pregnancy, but this I'm experiencing doesn't FEEL right. It's pretty disruptive and I'd read so much about the 2nd trimester being a "break."
  • I pee all the time, but they aren't massive pees. My husband asked if maybe I had a bladder infection, but I had a reflux in my kidneys growing up, so I'm pretty good at determining what is/isn't an infection. I told him it didn't feel like a bladder infection. Fast forward a couple of weeks to my anatomy scan. I learned I had an anterior placenta, and without even mentioning my bladder issues, the tech commented that the baby really loves my bladder. Right there in front of us, I saw my baby shoving her face and hands into my bladder. That explained that.

Although, you say your bladder area is "uncomfortable." Mine wasn't uncomfortable, just really annoyed with having to pee 5 times in the middle of the night. I'd definitely mention it to your doctor.
  • missnc77 said:
    I pee all the time, but they aren't massive pees. My husband asked if maybe I had a bladder infection, but I had a reflux in my kidneys growing up, so I'm pretty good at determining what is/isn't an infection. I told him it didn't feel like a bladder infection. Fast forward a couple of weeks to my anatomy scan. I learned I had an anterior placenta, and without even mentioning my bladder issues, the tech commented that the baby really loves my bladder. Right there in front of us, I saw my baby shoving her face and hands into my bladder. That explained that.

Although, you say your bladder area is "uncomfortable." Mine wasn't uncomfortable, just really annoyed with having to pee 5 times in the middle of the night. I'd definitely mention it to your doctor.

I'm startin to think the baby is situated there. 5 days into the UTI meds and not much relief.
    LOL funny thing is I only go 1 time at night. It's during the day that kills me! I have an appointment tomorrow so we'll see :)
  • Peeing like a race horse here, just saying ....
  • same here, had to get up three times last night to pee and just assumed it was normal.
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited January 2016

Life now moves from one pee to the next...

<3
    So nice, I have to love it twice.
  • LOL! How many times do you all have to go now daily? I'm like close to 12. Sometimes I feel pulses in the bladder area, which makes me wanna go. Funny thing is that I am not in danger of exploding. I just get that sensation. I'm thinking le bebe is kicking the bladder.