Breastfeeding

Glass of wine

Anyone else have a glass of wine after LO goes to bed? I am EBF but once my LO goes to bed i like to have a glass of wine, he sleep for 3-4 hours before i have to feed him so i know its out of my system but i still cant help but feel guilty.

Re: Glass of wine

• I do too! Don't feel guilty, it's nice to have some adult time and relax for a bit. Enjoy your evening!
  • Don't feel guilty! Your breasts are a much better filter than the placenta. Kellymom.com has a great explanation, but essentially your milk has the same percentage of alcohol as your blood. So if you have a BAC of .02%, that's what's in your milk.
  • Loading the player...
  • Why would you feel guilty? If you don't nurse for a couple of hours then your milk is fine. Red wine is good for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Honestly, I have my glass of wine even before lo goes to bed. I believe the % of alcohol is even less than your BAC. My pedi subscribes to the idea that if I'm sober enough to drive I'm sober enough to nurse. I still stick to wine or a beer instead of hard alcohol, but I have my drinks whenever I want. I read a great article on this, that basically said sticking to breastfeeding is hard enough, we shouldn't limit ourselves so much!
  • We are dealing with his reflux and eliminating dairy and soy and pretty much everything from my diet so I cant help but feel guilty, I feel like everything i eat or drink is bad!
  • Vik9 said:

We are dealing with his reflux and eliminating dairy and soy and pretty much everything from my diet so I cant help but feel guilty, I feel like everything i eat or drink is bad!

Does wine cause reflux?
    It seems like you might be struggling with some issues that have nothing to do with the wine. Carrying around guilt about your lo's reflux...which you could not have prevented and are now doing what you can to minimize...isn't healthy for you. Is there someone who you can talk to? Being a mom is hard, and it's easy for depression and/or anxiety to set in.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We've found Prevacid to be a life saver for reflux. It's been like having a different baby since he was put on it. He was on Zantac before that but it didn't really work. I hope you can find good treatment for the reflux!
  • Yup, if you can drive, you can nurse, and once the alcohol is out of your system, it won't stay in your milk hours later.
  • We've found Prevacid to be a life saver for reflux. It's been like having a different baby since he was put on it. He was on Zantac before that but it didn't really work. I hope you can find good treatment for the reflux!
    After trying Zantac and no luck we put him on Prevacid, the pediatrician started him on 1.5ml and it did nothing for him so we went to see a GI pediatrician and she put him on 2 ml which did nothing and now im trying 3 ml, this is all given once in the evening, from what i have been reading this is a low dose (he is 13lbs 10oz) not sure if its just going to take a while, if the dose is off or if its because its compounded.
  • We are dealing with his reflux and eliminating dairy and soy and pretty much everything from my diet so I cant help but feel guilty, I feel like everything i eat or drink is bad!
    Does wine cause reflux? It seems like you might be struggling with some issues that have nothing to do with the wine. Carrying around guilt about your lo's reflux...which you could not have prevented and are now doing what you can to minimize...isn't healthy for you. Is there someone who you can talk to? Being a mom is hard, and it's easy for depression and/or anxiety to set in.
    I think is just all very overwhelming being a new mom and wanting to do whats best.
  • You may have to try Prilosec next... Crossing fingers for you.
  • I have a glass of wine or a beer 1-3x a week. I don't worry about timing.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017