May 2016 Moms

Fundal height measuring big

Hi ladies!

I just had my 21 week appointment and they measured my belly for the first time and I measured 26.5 (I guess the norm would've been between 19 and 23). I googled it and that definitely put my mind at ease some. To be honest I'm not really that surprised because I have been gaining weight quickly and I was overweight pre-pregnancy. I also know it's just a guideline and I'm guessing if I keep measuring so big I'll have to go for an ultrasound later on.

Anyway I guess I just wanted to know what your ladies experiences have been, nice knowing I'm not alone!

Re: Fundal height measuring big

• My OB has yet to measure my belly, but based on my anatomy scan my LO is in the 98th percentile for size. I imagine this means my belly is big too, but I'm not sure!
  • I'm pretty sure my fundal height is a lot more than it should be, but my Dr hasn't said anything yet so I'm going to assume it's okay. I haven't gained any weight yet so I don't think it's attributed to that!
  • Loading the player...
  • I measured ahead the whole time with my first. Finally when I was three days late they did a growth scan and estimated she was 9#10oz, give or take a pound. I was a nervous wreck! She ended up being 8#14oz and perfectly healthy. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially this early. They really aren't very accurate when measuring babies in utero.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• I measured nearly 2 weeks ahead by fundal height with my first and this baby is the same so far. Really, it's just a rough measurement of how big the uterus is. They may do a growth scan to check on the baby's approximate size or to check fluid levels. Like PPs have said, it's not an exact science.
  • I usually measure about two weeks ahead based on fundal height and even ultrasound. My two kids were +8 lb. at 39 weeks so they weren't too big at birth.  I'm pretty sure I will measure ahead again this time- I feel huge!
  • Fundal height can be inaccurate, IMO, and unnecessary to get worried over. Last pregnancy I was measuring 36cm at 31w pregnant and they had me come in for an u/s. Complete waste of time. Baby was measuring perfectly for 31w. There are lots of factors that could mess with fundal height.....baby's position, being overweight, etc. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I measured 28 weeks at my 23 week appointment. Baby was in the 35-40% on the U/S's we had at 19&3 and 21&3. If I'm still measuring ahead in February then we will do another scan for fluid levels.
  • At my 20 week appointment my fundal height was measuring about two weeks ahead but my Dr didn't seem concerned about it. During the ultrasound baby was measuring about one week ahead, but my Dr said my measurements weren't anything they were going to change my due date over. Since she didn't seem concerned or make a big deal about it I'm not worried.
  • 2 weeks in either direction is considered normal
  • The last 6 weeks of my pregnancy my fundal height was always high too, but that was because the little squirt was always sticking his butt up and out!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Was your Dr concerned?
  • townsley2015townsley2015 member
    edited January 2016
    @RMLandy no not really. I just had my ultrasound two weeks ago and didn't show anything out of the norm, so she said it would be pointless to send me for a ultrasound now. So she just told me to focus on protein and eat less carbs. Then I guess at my next appointment we will see how I measure and go from there.

I'm not that worried to be honest, but was still alarmed when I heard that number lol.
  • JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited January 2016
    I'm sure you were like WTF when you heard the number, but also keep in mind that this was your first fundal height measurement.  It will be interesting to see where you are at your next appt.  Like other people said, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong or that baby will be huge.   Ultrasound is more accurate, but even US isn't perfect!

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!