April 2016 Moms
Options

Braxton Hicks really starting to concern me!

I am 27 weeks as of yesterday and I have had a few real small contractions. Nothing to crazy or painful. Last night however, I had 2 really intense ones. The first one just made me feel really nauseous which I haven't felt nauseous because of pregnancy for a few months now. It lasted about 3 minutes then slowly faded. No big deal, wasn't really painful so I laid down to fall asleep. About 5 minutes later I have to stand up because I was in so much pain. At first I thought it was gas pains. Lord knows I have had some terrible gas pains before. So I pace for a few minutes and the about 5 minutes later it fades slowly again. I didn't have one the rest of the night but this morning I have had a few real small ones again. I am a little concerned. What do you ladies think? Am I just worried for nothing. This is my second by the way and I don't remember having Braxton Hicks with the first at all!

Re: Braxton Hicks really starting to concern me!

• Options
    I'm a FTM and have had BH but am not qualified to be able to say whether that's normal or not. Seems like they usually aren't that painful, though. Try to call your doctor asap and ask to speak with the nurse. S/he will be able to look at your file and have a better idea of what's normal for you. 
  • Options
    I would drink a big glass of cold water, lay down on your left side and call your doctor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine haven't really been painful, just uncomfortable. I would call my doctor if I were having pains as you described. 
  • Options
    I mentioned BH to my doctor today at my 28 week appointment, because I had a few painful ones in the past week or so. He said to make note of when they occur, but that he wouldn't be overly concerned unless you're experiencing multiple contractions (5+) in an hour. But they could possibly be pre-term contractions, which they do want to track. Since every doctor is different, make sure to mention it to yours, and call them if you're experiencing them regularly!
  • Options
    I have a lot of BH at 27+4, but though often uncomfortable, they never hurt, especially to the point you are describing. I'd call if they continue.
  • Options
    I'm 29+2 and have had uncomfortable and frequent BH since 20wks. Discomfort tends to come from the tightening. I'm a FTM.

In the last week however they've turned into period-like crampy pain. Docs aren't worried though, neither do they seem to care about frequency of BH - I went into triage after having over 6 in 1 hr and effectively got laughed out of there with 'BH are perfectly normal'.
  • Options
    My biggest suggestion is to just listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, call your doctor. It's better to be laughed at than to have something wrong. If you can get the BH to go away with rest, water, changing positions, eating, etc, then I wouldn't really be worried. Mine were terrible with DS. Bent over constantly terrible. BH definitely were different from real contractions in how they felt, but BH also changed how they felt over time. Mine are pretty constant again with this pregnancy, but they aren't as ridiculous. They feel the worst at night, but that's usually because I have DS snuggled up with me.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker