April 2016 Moms

Heartburn more like having your chest ripped apart!!

What do I do to ease this horrible heartburn I can hardly breathe !!!! Please help

Re: Heartburn more like having your chest ripped apart!!

• Keep an eye on what you eat that makes it worst or timing of eating. Ie. I can pretty much only do dairy or carbs after 8 if I want to lay down before 10. Staying propped more upright to fall asleep also helps me.

Tums and other antacids are pretty much all okay in the meantime. Did your OB give you a list of play's meds?
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^^ Watch what you eat. That has a lot to do with heartburn, pregnant or not. I have had a history of GERD. Spicy, acidic, greasy, caffeine are all triggers.

Also when I went on a Gluten Free Dairy free diet most of my problems went away. Now saying it will work for you but it helped me tremendously.

Also, sleep with head or mattress elevated slightly.

• Loading the player...
  • rebelonerebelone member
    edited January 2016
    OOh, I've had this a few days ago. I almost thought it wasn't a heart burn, more like a heart attack. I had to take zantac 150 and from there pay close attention to what are causing them and stay away from those foods. What triggered mine was delicious home made chicken Parmesan with spaghetti noodles. I made my own sauce and breading but after eating that I almost turned miserable for the next day and a half. That happened to me on Friday and I've been very careful since.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I've tried the tums and various antiacids nun work so maybe I'll see what OB can do for me in the mean time I'll just watch what I eat and follow the rest of the advice thnx ladies

• Definitely worst when certain foods are eaten. For me, anything sugary is sure to make it worst. I've been taking papaya enzymes (Swiss naturals) since it started at the recommendation of my naturopath, over tums. It works just the same. I also have a prescription for zantac 150 in case it's intolerable. I need my rest so I'll take it if I think I should. I was on it twice a day with DS1, as I would wake up choking on my reflux and end up sick. It was awful!
  • I've had bad heartburn with all 3 pregnancies and this time it has been accompanied by esophageal spasms.  Horrible!  And, they most often occur when I take the first few bites of something like meat or bread.  It is horrific pain!  I read a trick on-line that I do think helps a bit.  If these are what you are experiencing, try grabbing a glass of water ASAP and chugging with as little breathing as possible.  It does seem to have helped.
  • Mine happens randomly.  Not necessarily from anything I've eaten.  Drinking a small glass of milk helps me
  • ivyvines6ivyvines6 member
    edited January 2016
    Smaller meals, not drinking water while eating, following up dinner with whole fat vanilla (or plain Greek) yogurt, and limiting carbohydrates/sugars/caffeine throughout the day is what's helped me out. Also regulating when I eat and what has helped the most. If I'm having carbs for dinner, I eat earlier, and pair it with high protein foods, and LOTS of fiber-y veg. Trigger foods for me are coffee, if I have it after noon, pizza/pasta, and white potatoes. I don't avoid those foods completely, but I don't eat them every day, and try to avoid them for dinner when at all possible.

In the end anecdotal advice will only get you so far, and you have to figure out what works best for your individual self.

(Edit: spelling is hard)
  • edited January 2016
    I've been explaining my heartburn to my husband as 'hot lava' in my throat lol. Not pleasant at all! I had never experienced heartburn before getting pregnant. I don't really have any triggers such as food... I could seriously just drink water & still get it. The only thing that has helped is Zantac in the morning & at night. My doctor said Zantac is a Category B drug (shouldn't harm my baby). I tried Tums, but I only had short term relief. Hope that helps!
  • Mine gave me Prilosec after a stint in the ER for food poisoning. It's a pregnancy category C - risk unknown, but the heartburn I had was terrible due to the lining of my stomach being completely ripped up. The doctor told me I could take the full 14 days of Prilosec, or stop if I felt better after 5. I did end up feeling better and left more than half the box untouched. It's good stuff!
  • I started out taking tums but that didn'thelp much. Now I take pepsid, which helps tremendously! I don't take it everyday, just when I feel heartburn start. Sometes I take it too late and it doesn't stop the heartburn. In those cases, I drank a glass of cold milk and that made it go away. It's awful, I hope you find something that works for you!
  • I've had acid reflux/heartburn for years. My OB is ok with me taking 2 Zantac 150's each day (morning before eating anything and evening before dinner) and Tums/Rolaids if I need it throughout the day.  
  • Bread or biscuits seem to do me in big time.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• water gives me heartburn. Wtf is that?

• yodiggity said:

water gives me heartburn. Wtf is that?

OMFG I thought it was only me!
  • Clearly you haven't experienced it. Maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.
  • aleflore2 said:

Clearly you haven't experienced it. Maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.

Um, what?
  • aleflore2 said:
    Clearly you haven't experienced it. Maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.

• Water makes mine worse too. I swear by almond milk.
  • jonesl12 said:

Water makes mine worse too. I swear by almond milk.

Definitely trying this since I have a full jug in the fridge anyway :)
  • Yep, water kills me too! Almond milk, coconut milk and sports drinks helped me a ton

Pregnancy Ticker