April 2016 Moms

Weight gain feedback

Pre-pregnancy my average weight was around 110. I am 5'2" and 26wks today. So far i have gained 22lb. My ob hasnt said anything but i feel like im on the high end of how much i should gain at this point. Between Monday and Friday i gained about 1lb (measured one fasting and the other after lunch). I was on bed rest first tri with no MS so maybe the contributed. I also deal with hyporhyroid so that might be an adder for me even if its under control. Early on in my second tri my physical avtivities were still limited.

Anyways just curious to hear what you ladies are hearing.

Re: Weight gain feedback

• I think the best thing to remember is that your body will gain what it needs and as long as you are eating healthily and exercising (when you are able), you're fine. I especially wouldn't worry since your doc hasn't said anything. There are a lot of similar weight posts on here but other people's docs have actually told them that they were gaining too much.

I have hypothyroidism, too, and I'm sure you know this but - it's super important to get your levels checked during pregnancy. It could be that you need to get your dosage increased. Has your doc tested you and made sure they weren't elevated?
  • Looks fine to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah my recent levels came back fine yesterday. I use to be hyperthyroid. My ob hasnt said anything but my endocronologist (spelling?) asked me about so it got me thinking. Baby has measured a week ahead since about 10 wks or so...so maybe just a big baby?

Thanks for the reply!
  • If your doctor hasn't mentioned anything don't worry about it.
  • I agree with previous posters, your doc should notice a significant increase and would say something to you. I gained 33lbs in 4 weeks and it was an immediate red flag to my doc. They have now started testing for causes since it's fluid retention and I'm eating a healthy diet, and haven't changed clothing size. I have so much swelling in my hands, feet, legs and now face its obnoxious and really painful. They have found more amniotic fluid around the baby than there should be which they suspect is the cause of the weight gain and fluid retention. I've already been tested for pre-eclampsia (which thankfully came back negative), and they are redoing the GD testing. I just went in yesterday for a level 2 ultrasound and the baby seems healthy and on track. Granted they measured him out to be approximately 4lbs... I've gained a total of 40lbs so far, and I'm at 28 weeks. I've been told that the fluid retention will dissipate once the baby comes. Hopefully he stays safe in his Olympic sized pool until he's supposed to! If you start to see a sudden increase in your weight, definitely let your doc know, but try not to let it get you nervous or down in the meantime. :-)