Trying to Get Pregnant

For TTC ladies planning a Caribbean/central/south america travel

Re: For TTC ladies planning a Caribbean/central/south america travel

• MrsDho11MrsDho11 member
    edited January 2016
    Edit to add TW for the article, I suppose. It talks about many pregnancy-related aspects of women's health, including accidental pregnancy and abortion.

@TheBorg7of9 - thought you might find this interesting:
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/01/26/dispatches-zika-warnings-versus-realities-women-face
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Aaaand...I just canceled my trip to Puerto Vallarta for May. There are too many variables and I don't want to risk it.

@Mlight28- how did you talk American Airlines out of the fee? I'm hoping they will give us a full refund.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ash9614 said:
    Joining the pity party over here. I'm going on a girls trip to the Bahamas in mid Feb. I'm still going to go since 1) I'm not pregnant, nor will I be in the next three weeks. At most, I may ovulate (via my first round of Femara) when I get back 2) it hasn't hit the Bahamas yet and 3) it's a 2-day cruise. I think I can slather myself in repellent for 2 days. But, DH and I were planning a May trip to Jamaica. It hasn't hit Jamaica either, but there's no telling what the next few months will bring. Also, I want to be KU by that point. Guess we'll go to a beach in Florida? Totally not the same Boo on you, Zika virus. :|
    i mentioned to my PCP about going to the Bahamas in May for our friend's destination wedding. His response was that because they are actively looking for Zika now, it's likely that it will surface in other areas in the Carribean, which sounds about right, unfortunately. I'd bet money it'll be in Jamaica by then :( 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • I guess it's time to plan that Alaskan cruise for the summer...
    Keep in mind though, Alaska has TERRIBLE mosquitos. Probably far enough away from SA that it won't travel up there for a while though. 
    From my understanding, it's not just any mosquito - it's the particular species of mosquito that lives in tropical/sub-tropical climates. So you can get totally eaten by mosquitos in Alaska, but they won't be the kind of mosquitos that can transmit Zika.

Ash9614 said:
    Joining the pity party over here. I'm going on a girls trip to the Bahamas in mid Feb. I'm still going to go since 1) I'm not pregnant, nor will I be in the next three weeks. At most, I may ovulate (via my first round of Femara) when I get back 2) it hasn't hit the Bahamas yet and 3) it's a 2-day cruise. I think I can slather myself in repellent for 2 days. But, DH and I were planning a May trip to Jamaica. It hasn't hit Jamaica either, but there's no telling what the next few months will bring. Also, I want to be KU by that point. Guess we'll go to a beach in Florida? Totally not the same Boo on you, Zika virus. :|
    They speculate that if it spreads to the US, Florida would be on the list. Sorry :(

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• So... bummer:  Next year's Olympics will be in Brazil.  Yayyyyy so excited for everyone to bring more of this disease back with them.
  • whiskawhiska member
    edited January 2016
    Another article I thought was informative:
    https://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2016/01/zika_facts_its_symptoms_origin_and_dangers.html

They're advising women in El Salvador to wait until 2018 to TTC!!!  I would move.  But my clock is really ticking now so... I just can't imagine the heartbreak for women without that option.
    I am so so sorry for all of you who had to cancel what were probably well-planned, saved-for, much-needed, much-looked-forward-to trips!  I'm hoping you can find good alternatives and/or stay safe on the trips you do take!

This has been the first-worldiest of first-world problems, but DH and I were trying to decide between the Caribbean and Europe for a vacation in April, and it looks like it will be Europe.  
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• antoto said:

So... bummer:  Next year's Olympics will be in Brazil.  Yayyyyy so excited for everyone to bring more of this disease back with them.

Honestly, I think that ship has sailed. I'd still travel to the Carribbean if we weren't TTC, and assuming enough people feel the same, it's coming. I do feel optimistic that we'll be better able to control it here, as we have with dengue and yellow fever. I think it's likely that in some parts of the country enjoying time outside is just going to become another pregnancy "don't" until there is a vaccine (and maybe even then, since many vaccines don't work 100% of the time).

Disclaimer: I'm pro-vax, just thinking of shots like the MMR that rely on herd immunity.
  • So... bummer:  Next year's Olympics will be in Brazil.  Yayyyyy so excited for everyone to bring more of this disease back with them.
    Honestly, I think that ship has sailed. I'd still travel to the Carribbean if we weren't TTC, and assuming enough people feel the same, it's coming. I do feel optimistic that we'll be better able to control it here, as we have with dengue and yellow fever. I think it's likely that in some parts of the country enjoying time outside is just going to become another pregnancy "don't" until there is a vaccine (and maybe even then, since many vaccines don't work 100% of the time). Disclaimer: I'm pro-vax, just thinking of shots like the MMR that rely on herd immunity.
    Truth.  That's a good point.  Lol part of my brain was like "what??  Everyone else on Earth is not also obsessing over TTC??".  
  • My doctor told me to use bug spray, stay out of the jungle and more remote areas avoid pregnancy until we get back and to enjoy the trip. It made me feel a little better. I went to Africa for a summer knowing there was a chance of getting malaria (probably the same chance I have at getting this) but I followed proper precautions and was fine. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

Keep in mind though, Alaska has TERRIBLE mosquitos. Probably far enough away from SA that it won't travel up there for a while though. 
    From my understanding, it's not just any mosquito - it's the particular species of mosquito that lives in tropical/sub-tropical climates. So you can get totally eaten by mosquitos in Alaska, but they won't be the kind of mosquitos that can transmit Zika.

Ash9614 said:
    They speculate that if it spreads to the US, Florida would be on the list. Sorry :(

I guess it's time to plan that Alaskan cruise for the summer...

Ash9614 said:

Oh, I have no doubt, especially since Fl is close to the Caribbean. But, I live in the south. If it gets to Florida, it's a wrap for me. :neutral: I can't avoid what happens in the US, but I can avoid an international trip, ya know? I can also cancel a domestic drive to a nearby state more easily than an international flight. 
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker

Ash9614 said:

Ahh yes, I forgot it was the aedes mosquito, which yea, pretty sure not in Alaska. Ugh, this whole thing is just so frustrating. When I get pregnant I'm locking myself in a bubble. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I have a trip planned to Aruba at the end of March, and we were planning on TTC beginning at the end of February. It's not a huge deal to wait 6 weeks or so until we get back and are no longer going anywhere, but as disappointed as I feel without having even started yet, I can't imagine how you ladies feel that are months into this process. My heart goes out to all of you.

This makes me so nervous that it will make its way to the US and that pregnant women in the US are going to be at risk.... I mean, what can you really do? Live inside all summer? 

• edited January 2016
    Just saw this and thought it was so cool!  Deet is definitely the most effective, but how hilarious is it that the VS perfume works too?  https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/01/30/464740275/whats-the-best-way-to-keep-mosquitoes-from-biting

Edited to say H and I use the Cutter spray and it works really well!  I prefer not to use deet unless I'm going into the woods or something.
  • https://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

This also a helpful link. According the the CDC, the virus can only live in the system for up to a week. If a woman becomes infected, there is no risk to future pregnancies (as long as she conceived after the virus has left her system). I was worried about this aspect so that's a relief. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• LadyMillilLadyMillil member
    edited January 2016
    hartmich said:
    I have a trip planned to Aruba at the end of March, and we were planning on TTC beginning at the end of February. It's not a huge deal to wait 6 weeks or so until we get back and are no longer going anywhere, but as disappointed as I feel without having even started yet, I can't imagine how you ladies feel that are months into this process. My heart goes out to all of you.

This makes me so nervous that it will make its way to the US and that pregnant women in the US are going to be at risk.... I mean, what can you really do? Live inside all summer? 
    Dengue virus is spread by the same mosquitos as Zika. I read an article yesterday that talked about the difference in dengue rates between a city in Texas and a city directly across the border (and river, I think) in Mexico. There is a huge difference in dengue rates between the two cities, with significantly less infections in the city in Texas due to differences in sanitation, air conditioner use, window screens, etc etc. I would expect it to be the same for zika.
  • MRSCORKER said:
    https://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

This also a helpful link. According the the CDC, the virus can only live in the system for up to a week. If a woman becomes infected, there is no risk to future pregnancies (as long as she conceived after the virus has left her system). I was worried about this aspect so that's a relief. 
    Point of clarification:  I believe this is once you're sick or the virus has matured.  There is an incubation period first.  I also saw that on the CDC website, but I don't have the time/inclination to find it right now.  I believe it was in one of their information for healthcare provider pages and that it was in the ballpark of two weeks.  

• brambles1brambles1 member
    edited January 2016
    @missteacherlady16 You have to listen to the podcast for the information; if you fast forward to 22:18 you can hear where it starts to be addressed.  I tried to find a transcript to make the info easier to access but On Point doesn't provide one.  I didn't mean to be alarmist; I know if I were to contract Zika it would almost certainly be via mosquito but I just wanted to share the information.  Thanks for the additional research @LadyMillil !  

Also,  I found a quick comparison of the effectiveness of various bug repellents (some DEET-free): 
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/01/30/464740275/whats-the-best-way-to-keep-mosquitoes-from-biting

Edited to add:  Whoops!  I didn't see that @antoto beat me to the DEET link.  :-)
  • Looks like they (CDC) updated their estimated incubation time in the good direction!
    "The incubation period (the time from exposure to symptoms) for Zika virus disease is not known, but is likely to be a few days to a week."
    https://www.cdc.gov/zika/symptoms/index.html

so add that on to a few days and a week for being sick, and you're still around two weeks max.  (sorry, I'm a nerd and I avidly follow science)

• I'm really stressed out about this too. I leave for Mexico on Thursday for a week. We have been ttc for 8 months. I tested  today as AF was due and got BFN and some symptoms AF is on the way. It's scaring me how little they know. My doctors office today advised me not to go because we are ttc but could choose to go because I'm currently not pregnant. But can't ttc for at least 1 month after the trip. :( talked to my husband and we are still going but buying lots of bug spray!! And I think I'm going to check in with my doctor when I get back. Scarey virus to be around. I hope everyone has safe travels! 
  • antoto said:
    Just saw this and thought it was so cool!  Deet is definitely the most effective, but how hilarious is it that the VS perfume works too?  https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/01/30/464740275/whats-the-best-way-to-keep-mosquitoes-from-biting

Edited to say H and I use the Cutter spray and it works really well!  I prefer not to use deet unless I'm going into the woods or something.
    It's interesting that "mosquito skin patch" is worse than not having any repellent. 
  • If you look up aedes aegypti (the type of mosquito that carries Zika) on Wikipedia, they are native in east Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.

I really hope it doesn't start getting transmitted here.
  • I'm really stressed out about this too. I leave for Mexico on Thursday for a week. We have been ttc for 8 months. I tested  today as AF was due and got BFN and some symptoms AF is on the way. It's scaring me how little they know. My doctors office today advised me not to go because we are ttc but could choose to go because I'm currently not pregnant. But can't ttc for at least 1 month after the trip. :( talked to my husband and we are still going but buying lots of bug spray!! And I think I'm going to check in with my doctor when I get back. Scarey virus to be around. I hope everyone has safe travels! 
    I know how you feel!  We are at 8mos too and leaving for our cruise in a week.  It's put a cloud on what should be an otherwise exciting trip!  Hope you're still able to enjoy the vacation :) safe travels! 
  • BerkeBaby said:
    Aaaand...I just canceled my trip to Puerto Vallarta for May. There are too many variables and I don't want to risk it. @Mlight28- how did you talk American Airlines out of the fee? I'm hoping they will give us a full refund.
    Sorry to be responding so late, I just saw this!! I literally called 4 different times and asked the same exact questions each time until I got a nice lady on the phone. 
    I also switched to a much more expensive flight (Caribbean to Europe), and she priced it all out for me. I told her that I would book it right then if we could do it without the $400 change fees for the two tickets. 
    She put me on hold and made some calls and then told me that she could. I had explained to her the situation and she seemed very sympathetic. 
    Just keep calling until you get someone helpful! 
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Fur child: One awesome Golden Retriever
    IUI August 2016  : Cancelled due to polyp
    September 2016: Polyp removal/hysteroscopy
    October 2016: IUI #1- BFN
    November 2016: IUI #2- BFN
    December 2016: IUI #3 - BFN
    January/February 2017 - IVF + ICSI + PGD
    March 2017 - FET

• Back from Mexico and I just want to say we were there 5 days and managed to avoid the mosquito bites with liberal mosquito repellant application. Unfortunately/fortunately I got the BFNs while there as well, so I should be clear of Zika worry.

We counted 10 pregnant ladies from the US and Canafa while we were there, so apparently not everyone is following the  CDC travel advisory.

• Thanks for the update @chloe97!  Where in Mexico did you go, if you don't mind me asking? And did you see a lot of mosquitoes there?

• Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DH and I:  Early/mid 30s
    Married 7/15
    TTC #1 as of 8/15
    BFP 11/21/15 -- MC confirmed 12/1/15
    BFP #2 2/18/16
  • edited February 2016
    Not to get all doomsday but it's been confirmed to be sexually transmitted, and they're not sure how long it stays in semen

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/02/health/zika-virus-sexual-contact-texas/index.html

So don't forget to slather you partners in bug spray too!
  • Not to get all doomsday but it's been confirmed to be sexually transmitted, and they're not sure how long it stays in semen

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/02/health/zika-virus-sexual-contact-texas/index.html

So don't forget to slather you partners in bug spray too!
    Yup, just saw this too... Very concerning. Glad we canceled our plans to attend a wedding in USVI in April (granted we hadn't booked yet and were on the fence about dropping 2000 $ on a long weekend anyways, so its not as bad as for many of you ladies who already had vacations booked). It is heartbreaking to think about the women living in the countries affected. Especially given the draconian abortion laws and lack of access to contraceptives in some of those countries. 
  • Alright so then I have a follow-up question (I know none of you are doctors, but humor me). DH is going on a cruise in March. I am not going. It is for his mom's 50th birthday and I have to work. They're going to a bunch of places listed on all of these lists. How long would you NOT have sex when he returns then? Two weeks? a month?

Me: 28  DH: 28
    TTC #1 since Nov. 2015
    Dx: Both tubes blocked, PCOS, DOR, RPL
    IVF Cycle #1 Dec. 2016 - 11R·11M·5F - Transferred 2 - BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    IVF Cycle #2 March 2017 - 5R·4M·3F - Transferred 1 -  BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    Instagram: KateDoesIVF

• @PennStateCait My doc told me to wait 3 weeks after returning from my cruise before we start trying again. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @MRSCORKER Good to know. I'll definitely put in a phone call mid-March to my obgyn, but that's a good fact to know.. gotta mentally prepare for a month of TTA.

TTC #1 since Nov. 2015
    IVF Cycle #1 Dec. 2016 - 11R·11M·5F - Transferred 2 - BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    IVF Cycle #2 March 2017 - 5R·4M·3F - Transferred 1 -  BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left

• If you look up aedes aegypti (the type of mosquito that carries Zika) on Wikipedia, they are native in east Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.

I really hope it doesn't start getting transmitted here.
    I'd suggest googling aedes aegypti and then the name of the state you live in because although it may not be native to where you live it could still be there.  For example they are not currently officially listed as being in Arizona, but when I google "aedes aegypti in Arizona"  tons of articles pop up that they have very recently been found here.  
  • @housewifehobbyist We were in Puerto Vallarta. We definitely saw a few, but neither of us got bitten with lemon eucalyptus spray all over our bodies and DEET spray/lotion on the places we got bit the most. 

• atcwagatcwag member
    edited February 2016
    *tagging fail
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Ok this article freaked me out... if a woman is pregnant and her partner has been exposed to Zika, they should abstain or use condoms for the duration of her whole pregnancy. The article implies we don't know how many weeks or months that semen can transmit Zika.

What if we're TTC and my husband is going to Haiti at the end of March?! Again, I know, doctor question... 

TTC #1 since Nov. 2015

• Ladies, read this article. I think it's always good to be safe, but don't stress too much :) 

https://leviquackenboss.wordpress.com/2016/01/31/zika-virus-hysteria-got-you-worked-up/
  • We are going on a cruise to the Bahamas in May. OB said we needed to be on birth control or tta if we want to continue to go. If we got pregnant she would not okay us going if I am pregnant. So we will be tta till May now. It sucks but I don't want to risk it. Ugh!