September 2015 Moms

Graco pack n play question please help

So-
Now that my little one is starting to roll (out of swing, off of couch) I need a safe place to put him. For example- I need to make a bottle and need to set him down for 5 minutes.
I'm thinking a play yard/pack n play of some sort. We don't have one.
I found one on Amazon- Graco for only $38.88.
If I buy this does it also need a mattress that goes in it?
Does anyone have this and have thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks!

Re: Graco pack n play question please help

• I would recommend a pack and play with the bassinet inside, which would elevate your child, making it easier to put him in and out and not have to bend over so much.

My sitter also puts him on a bed and lines the edges with pillows

I started putting him in an exercise saucer/walker. Dr said as long as he holds his head up, its fine to start using it this early. It buys me some time to do a few things.

I sometimes baby bjorn him while making bottles ir putting things away sometimes. It helps right before a nap.

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes the mattress is included. As for ones with a bassinet part, if money is tight, you don't need the bassinet part as they do outgrow that part pretty quickly. (There is a weigh restriction). I too put a big blanket on the floor and put baby on that, as well as a jumper/saucer. He sleeps in the PNP right now but fixing to transition to the crib.
  • I have hardwood, so don't put him on the floor much, but recently bought large foam squares for about $15. Similar to the alphabet squares, but I like that this had less pieces.
  • agree with PP about the bassinet part of pack n plays. It's recommended not to be used at 15 lbs or more. That part is mostly for newborns. I put my little man in his bouncer, jumperoo, swing, sous chef seat or play may if I am doing anything around the house. I haven't used the pack n play since he was 2 weeks old. Maybe once he's crawling like a crazy man I will use it again but I haven't had any need for it.
  • Yea, DS spends the majority of his day hanging out on the floor. PPs suggestion of the foam mats was good, I used them when I had hardwood in my old house when DS1 was a baby. I had to hide them and throw then out now that he is a toddler now because I was dumb enough to get the alphabet set with about 7000 pieces. He just took it apart everyday and it took forever to clean up after he went to bed.

The pack n play would seem like a waste of money at this point to me. Once DS1 could move around he would only tolerate such a small space for about 15 minutes before he got angry and wanted out. DS2 is already way past the weight limit for the bassinet as well. You'll get more use out of a jumper or exersaucer and it will serve the same purpose of keeping LO contained. I vote for floor, easy and cheap. Just put a couple blankets or an activity mat under him if you think it's too hard.
  • You could buy a separate mattress if you wanted, but it comes with a thin mat as a base which works great for us. I wouldn't get one with a separate napper at this point, I think the weight limit for those is 15lbs. I like it because it keeps LO happy and safe when I need to step away. I can't leave her alone on the floor because I have two dogs who I'm worried about stepping on her by accident. It folds up really easily so it's great if you need to take LO somewhere and don't want to pack up a bouncer. I did buy sheets for mine but they aren't necessary
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited January 2016
    If I need to do something and keep LO occupied, we have a bunch of different places we can set him: activity mat, crib (he just lays there and talks to himself), high chair, jumperoo, infant-to-toddler rocker (https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-2464823/fisher-prince-infant-to-toddler-sea-creature-rocker.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=EC BABY NON-APPAREL&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=76631258&CID=shopping15&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=76631258&gclid=CIjRvpv8q8oCFQooaQodxaoOQw&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIr41Jv8q8oCFQdCAQodmfgByA). We also do have a pack n play we'll use for playing when once he's sitting up, just keep in mind the top bassinet portion is only good up to 15 lbs. They are nice to have to use as a bed when traveling too!
  • If I need to do something I just leave her on the floor in the playroom (child proof, blankets on an area rug over hardwood). If she cries I wear her. If I can't wear her (like cooking) I buckle her in her bouncy chair within sight. Once she's too big for the bouncy chair I'll be able to wear her on my back.

A pnp is handy for travelling though, and for that price it's worth a shot. It comes with a padded bottom, and you wouldn't need a bassinet at this stage.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you everyone!
    I should have added- the floor isn't a good option yet because just like @AndieTessie I have two terrier dogs that would mess with the baby. I'm also looking for fencing to keep dogs out of family area. The family area is open - so it's difficult to find fencing affordably. I think I'll get the 38$ pay n pack until we can get fencing to keep dogs out- then I'll buy the foam lettering cushions and put him on the floor. I'm glad to know I don't need a mattress. Thanks ladies!
  • Definitely look into an activity mat. We have 2 and they are super helpful in keeping LO occupied and especially helpful with tummy time too. One is by infantino and has a little pillow to help prop her up as if she was over a boppy.