April 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 1/14

13»

Re: UO Thursday 1/14

• Options
    AEG84 said:

I don't know if it's a UO but I hate ice chewing. The idea of chewing on ice creeps me out and I hate listening to other people chewing on ice! It drives me insane.

Our work ice machine makes the little bitty round cubes like they have in the drinks at Sonic. I chew them, and it's great. I don't chew on big ones, though.

How do I get one of these magic ice machines? I love crushed ice when I'm at home/the ILs (our fridge doesn't have an ice maker) but that sounds even better!
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AGK2015 said:

AGK2015 said:

@AmadorRose - Nooooooo it's only 7 extra letters! U can do it, I believe in u! ;)

You*

;)

Jk don't hurt me
    Ha! Totally intentional, and completely tongue in cheek. I won't hurt you. What do you think this is, May 16?
    I love you guys.

• Options
    @mojomama6 Totally agree with this! I homeschool, and I make my kids finish their schoolwork before doing anything. Work first then play is a basic value I want them to leave my house with. My husband doesn't have it because his parents let him do whatever, and it's *so* annoying. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AmadorRose He finally did something that took things way too far, so it made it really easy for me to step back, reevaluate the situation and my feelings, and dump his butt. I think if he hadn't of crossed a line, I would have been manipulated into doing what he wanted eventually, which is sad, because then I would never have gotten together with DH and made adorable babies.

DH and I are the annoying couple that asks each other for permission about EVERYTHING. He gets teased a lot because of it... Most of it comes from making sure we didn't make plans already and forgot about it.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @emgee27 I hate the original crocs and swore I would never wear them. However, when endlessly searching for durable flats for work (special Ed teacher where bodily fluids are plentiful haha), I bought these 2 pairs of flats and have worn them every day for almost a year. They are still in great shape and incredibly comfortable.

&i
    @imrachellea I think CIO can be totally useful when used appropriately. I am true believer that kids need to feel disappointment at times and sometimes here is no other way to show a child that they can't just scream to get what they want. I have come across way to many students who were raised by parents from the other side of the CIO debate that have a lot of trouble when entering school. We used a modified version of CIO when sleep training DD and at 3, there are still times when she is left crying in her room when she is tantruming. Toddlers sure can push buttons
  • Options
    @briterfly84 Sorry, didn't see the earlier question! The star necklace is from Amazon :) They have different options, it's one I found doing a search for "nursing necklace" a while back.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

UO: I actually like maternity leggings! I don't know how I am going to go back to regular pants that don't have that extra belly covering. It's like a necessity now

Wait a minute, this is a UO?! I love them too! Maternity leggings for life!

• Options
    mojomama6 said:

My apparently UO: kids should be expected to finish their homework and chores before they can go out to play. The neighbor kids just called me a mean mom to my face because my kids each have a project to finish for school, and I said they couldn't go out to play before working on it. It's not the first time these kids have said something of the sort.

My only thought on this is what works for your family is what's best for your family. Let everyone sip on their hateraid! I have already discussed this with fiancé and in our particular county the elementary schools only have recess for thirty minutes once a week. We both feel it would be more beneficial (when the time comes) to let our LO get some of his wiggles out before having to go back into sitting and schooling all over again in the evenings. Weekends though? Forget about about outside time until chores and homework are done!

It's odd the things we plan five years in advance, right?

• Options
    Oh I love crocs for DS! He won't keep any other kind of sandal on, they are easy for him to put on or take off by himself and if we go in the sand or mud or anything dirty, they're easy to clean! For myself - no, there's plenty other cute options that are comfortable haha!
  • Options
    In short, I am all for play first, then business after dinner.

@Knottie9983816 only 30 minutes once a week? WTactualF!
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

They focus a lot on PE even in elementary, but it's a complete joke to me. When I did PE I half assed everything, and went out of my way to make the coaches lives miserable for expecting me to do ANYTHING. But I went to school through third grade, and we still have recess every other day at the time (alternating with PE) I have no idea who decided it was a good idea to change it but... They're dumb.
  • Options

@emgee27 I hate the original crocs and swore I would never wear them. However, when endlessly searching for durable flats for work (special Ed teacher where bodily fluids are plentiful haha), I bought these 2 pairs of flats and have worn them every day for almost a year. They are still in great shape and incredibly comfortable.

&i
    @imrachellea I think CIO can be totally useful when used appropriately. I am true believer that kids need to feel disappointment at times and sometimes here is no other way to show a child that they can't just scream to get what they want. I have come across way to many students who were raised by parents from the other side of the CIO debate that have a lot of trouble when entering school. We used a modified version of CIO when sleep training DD and at 3, there are still times when she is left crying in her room when she is tantruming. Toddlers sure can push buttons

Ok that second pair is pretty damn cute...
  • Options
    AGK2015 said:

AGK2015 said:

@AmadorRose - Nooooooo it's only 7 extra letters! U can do it, I believe in u! ;)

You*

;)

Jk don't hurt me
    Ha! Totally intentional, and completely tongue in cheek. I won't hurt you. What do you think this is, May 16?
    HAHA! Totally just spit my food out laughing
  • Options

cmjenkies said:

They focus a lot on PE even in elementary, but it's a complete joke to me. When I did PE I half assed everything, and went out of my way to make the coaches lives miserable for expecting me to do ANYTHING. But I went to school through third grade, and we still have recess every other day at the time (alternating with PE) I have no idea who decided it was a good idea to change it but... They're dumb.
    Heck yes they are! There are so many benefits to unstructured free play for kids that age! DS is starting kindergarten this fall and I'm thankful they continue with daily recess here.
  • Options
    spatter1 said:

UO: I actually like maternity leggings! I don't know how I am going to go back to regular pants that don't have that extra belly covering. It's like a necessity now

I think...!? I have read on here some women really don't like maternity leggings... Or leggings for that matter!
  • Options

spatter1 said:

I think...!? I have read on here some women really don't like maternity leggings... Or leggings for that matter!
    Guilty!

I do love to wear them to bed and postpartum though!

Anniversary

• Options

spatter1 said:

Pregnancy is quickly breaking my "leggings aren't pants" rule. Must find more butt covering tops...
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    @Knottie9983816 I have to echo @cmjenkies and say wtactualf?! Perhaps if no recess were a thing in my area, I would feel differently, but it definitely is not. My elementary kids have two recesses per day, plus lunch recess, plus weekly gym and movement music classes. Also, when it is warm out, we can bring them early for "morning movement", which is different depending on the the volunteer directing it, but is often a short yoga class. We also have at least one parent at each recess who has volunteered to organize an active game for kids to join, instead of just sitting around. They spend probably 40-50% of their class time out of their desks, too. In short, my kids get plenty of movement during the day, plus they rarely have more than 45 minutes of homework, and that's only if you count the 30 minutes of reading as work. My kids don't, and often have that part finished before we even get home from school. I realize that some of this movement is a bonus of being in a charter school, but even the regular neighborhood school has the same recesses and gym and music.
  • Options
    fbanke42 said:

@Knottie9983816 In Japanese, if someone is referring to their wifey, they're usually talking about an anime character that they are obsessed with and are sexually attracted to... I've known a few otaku men with a "wifey," and most of the time the character that they are obsessed with would be way too young to consent to a relationship in real life. That may just stem from me knowing way too many creepy otaku... DH calls me a closet otaku, which to him is the most bearable.

Edit, because I also forgot about the other half of the term:
    In anime and manga, a character may also refer to a girl/woman as wifey because they are obsessed with her and wish that they were in a relationship with them.

Another UO: I don't understand why a couple would not make major decisions together. DH and I sit down and talk about the pros and cons of switching birth control methods, if we should apply for a different job, if we are going to do something related to the kids, etc... I just don't understand how one person can just back out of the decision and just let the other person make the choice 100%... In the end, you are both effected somehow. DH tries to just let me make the choices about a lot of things, but I won't let him. I drag him into it, kicking and screaming if I have to.

My inner otaku just has to correct this. The Japanese term is actually "waifu" not wifey ;)
  • Options
    mrstrax said:
    Pregnancy is quickly breaking my "leggings aren't pants" rule. Must find more butt covering tops...
    If your butt and crotch are covered, then the leggings are functioning as leggings and not pants in my book (I also agree on leggings =/= pants.)  

I LOOOOOOOOVE maternity leggings & plan on wearing them post-partum for as long as possible!  I bought a lot of long tunic tops cheap on OldNavydotCom and just made sure they were returnable in-store. That way I got the free shipping, could try a bunch on and decide which were long enough for me. (And as a side-note, the reviewers on the old navy site are GREAT and totally point out when shirts are not technically tunic-y and run short/wide/long/narrow so definitely consider reviews if you order.)
  • Options
    spicedicespicedice member
    edited January 2016
    WiseUsagi said:

fbanke42 said:

@Knottie9983816 In Japanese, if someone is referring to their wifey, they're usually talking about an anime character that they are obsessed with and are sexually attracted to... I've known a few otaku men with a "wifey," and most of the time the character that they are obsessed with would be way too young to consent to a relationship in real life. That may just stem from me knowing way too many creepy otaku... DH calls me a closet otaku, which to him is the most bearable.

Edit, because I also forgot about the other half of the term:
    In anime and manga, a character may also refer to a girl/woman as wifey because they are obsessed with her and wish that they were in a relationship with them.

Another UO: I don't understand why a couple would not make major decisions together. DH and I sit down and talk about the pros and cons of switching birth control methods, if we should apply for a different job, if we are going to do something related to the kids, etc... I just don't understand how one person can just back out of the decision and just let the other person make the choice 100%... In the end, you are both effected somehow. DH tries to just let me make the choices about a lot of things, but I won't let him. I drag him into it, kicking and screaming if I have to.

My inner otaku just has to correct this. The Japanese term is actually "waifu" not wifey ;)
    Oh my dear lord... How on earth did I screw that one up?! I feel like a bad, bad otaku right now...

I think I always accosiated the two together because both seem super creepy to me... Both just seem like what you would say about the lady you wish to be with but aren't, and not the silly BFF is my fake wife or the "I'm gunna be his wifey."

Anniversary