April 2016 Moms
Options

Anemia/Iron deficiency

So my OB nurse called yesterday to let me know I failed the 1 hour glucose test (by 1 point, gah!) And now I have to take the 3 hour....also she said my iron is low and I'm slightly anemic. I have 2 different prenatal vitamins, gummies with no iron and another pill form that I never take because they are huge, and those do have iron. The nurse said to start taking an iron supplement (slow FE) to see if my levels go up. I took one yesterday afternoon, and it made me feel nauseous. So now I'm thinking I will take the prenatal with iron and eat more iron rich foods to see if that helps first, instead of taking the supplement. I just can't handle being nauseous again, I still have to take diclegis everyday to keep me from vomiting. Does anyone have experience with low iron levels or taking iron supplements? I'm hoping the iron in the prenatal will help, because I'm really struggling at work tonight, I feel awful. This is not a road I want to head down! :(

Re: Anemia/Iron deficiency

• Options
    edited January 2016
    How many mg of iron is there in the prenatal vitamin? I was also slightly anemic (it's getting better but not there yet) and I was prescribed something called Niferex iron 100mg as the iron in the prenatals was not even close to being enough, even when supplied with an iron rich diet (and had calcium in it which prohibits iron absorption). I hope you figure it out as iron deficiency is a bitch!

• Options
    loveymayloveymay member
    edited January 2016
    I'll have to check the bottle, I think it was 27, or 127? I remember the number 27, lol. Did the supplements make you sick? I don't feel as sick now as I did a few hours ago, I wonder if I should take the iron pill before I go to bed...instead of before going to work. And did you still take the prenatal with iron in addition to the iron supplement? I guess I need to call the nurse back and ask if I should be taking both, or if I should continue taking the gummies without iron.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Chance is its 27 mg as its closer to the daily recommended amount. The supplements are in a capsule form which I can dissolve in water if I am too nauseas to take the pill. I take it was a glass of orange juice before sleeping as I usually always drink milk or eat cheese in the morning that prevents me from taking the iron. Yeah, I still take the prenatals as the amount of iron in it doesn't really do much when it also has calcium in it but that's because I don't take gummies so it might not be necessary for you to take both. Try calling the nurse :)

• Options
    At my most recent appointment my doctor told me my levels were borderline even while taking my prenatal, but instead of making me take the supplement right away, she wants me to try eating Malt O Meal more often because it's super high in iron, good for you, and easy to digest. I add sugar to it because it's basically tasteless on its own. I just eat it for breakfast :) hope this helps a little bit!!
  • Options
    Both my pregnancies I've been very anemic. I've been taking an iron supplement for about 8 weeks now. I take it and my prenatals right before bed otherwise I get super nauseous.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have been taking this iron supplement for years now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OUHUA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01 and have great results. It doesn't make me nauseous or constipated (a common complaint in supplements). I take it at night before bed with all my other prenatals and vitamins.
  • Options
    At my most recent appointment my doctor told me my levels were borderline even while taking my prenatal, but instead of making me take the supplement right away, she wants me to try eating Malt O Meal more often because it's super high in iron, good for you, and easy to digest. I add sugar to it because it's basically tasteless on its own. I just eat it for breakfast :) hope this helps a little bit!!
    I'm on the same boat. I just got my results yesterday. Glucose came back fine but a bit low on Iron. I was just told to eat iron-rich foods. I give Malt O Meal a try since I already eat oatmeal most morning. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Options
    I was diagnosed last week as anaemic (thank you third trimester) and am on iron supplements in addition to my standard prenatal.

Iron is hard for the body to absorb and the supplements can have some side effects (like constipation, black poo - yes it wipes a charcoal grey/black!) so the medical advice I was given was also:
    - eat more fibre to counter the constipation
    - Increase vitamin C intake as that helps the body absorb iron - for example I've been advised to have a glass of fresh orange juice just before taking my supplements
    - Calcium/dairy can block iron absorption so be careful about when you time your supplements
    - Iron tablets are absorbed best on an empty stomach (with your orange juice wash down) but if you're getting uncomfortable side effects these can be mitigated by having them with a meal
    - They can take upto 10 days before you feel an energy rise - I'm on day 6 and feel like the same limp lettuce leaf I did before

You can drive yourself crazy with the do's and don'ts, upto you how much to take in but I have found the orange juice tip, and having them with or just before a meal helps.
  • Options
    I've had low iron for the past few years... was prescribed 100mg of ferritin on top of the 28mg in my multi.  It made me feel HORRIBLY sick.   My recommendation is to talk to your pharmacist and see what your options are.  I first started on a liquid form which was really hard on my belly.  I ended up switching to pill-form of 35mg, 3x per day.  I now take one with breakfast, one with lunch, and one with dinner (plus my multi).  As long as I take them with meals then it is bearable.  @Jkeezy also has very good advice... watch the dairy as it can block absorption, and try to take with vitamin C... and DEFINITELY up your fiber intake!  Your bum & bowels will thank you!!   Just remember - if you're upping your fiber, then up your water as well or the fiber can actually have the opposite effect and make your constipated.  And no momma should have to deal with that!

• Options
    I also am anemic.. Hemoglobin 10.7 or something. I was told to take 325 mg ferrous sulfate but I'm opting to just take my multivitamin which has 27 mg + Slow release iron which is 45 mg and was more foods rich in irkn and take it with increased vitamin C and no calcium as stated above. I'm hoping my levels go up with this dosage and will request they take my blood again
  • Options
    loveymayloveymay member
    edited January 2016
    My hemoglobin was 10 and hemotocrit was 30. I googled the normal ranges for each and I think it was like 15 and 34, or something like that. I took the iron pill this morning with orange juice before going to bed (I work nights). I haven't felt sick any today so that's good! I was hungry this morning too, so I ate an orange. I normally eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, but won't be anymore because of calcium interfering with absorption. Such a pain! But I read that restless legs is a symptom of iron deficiency, so I'm hoping taking iron will help with that. @jkeezy limp lettuce leaf, haha! Yes that is what I feel like! I can barely keep my eyes open lately, keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get some energy back!

Thanks for the responses everyone!
  • Options
    Same story here! HB 10. Felt soo tired!!! Doc doubled my iron dosage and switched until I found a good iron tablet. Been on this dose religiously for the past 2 weeks. going in for a blood count tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Same boat here. I failed my glucose test and I'm anemic. I was put on a prescription called Corvite FE for Iron. I was told NOT to take it with the prenatal. Directions state to take it two hours after a meal and one hour before eating my next meal. The first two days I felt crumby but I'm feeling much better now. The first day I ate cheese  an hour later and I felt horrible. I've read that taking it with orange juice helps, but being that I have gestational diabetes, I'm staying away from sugary drinks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Beautiful Daughter 11/08/2002
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
    Rainbow Sugar Baby due 04/22/2016, C Section Scheduled for 04/08/2016
  • Options

Same boat here. I failed my glucose test and I'm anemic. I was put on a prescription called Corvite FE for Iron. I was told NOT to take it with the prenatal. Directions state to take it two hours after a meal and one hour before eating my next meal. The first two days I felt crumby but I'm feeling much better now. The first day I ate cheese  an hour later and I felt horrible. I've read that taking it with orange juice helps, but being that I have gestational diabetes, I'm staying away from sugary drinks.

Take it while eating an orange, or look for vegetables that are high in Vit C. Eating an orange is better for you than drinking juice because the fruit has natural fiber in it to aid in digestion, and won't leave you with the sugar high. (Or do what I do and mix like 1/4 juice to 3/4 water ratio. Tastes a bit like koolaid like that.)
  • Options
    Have you tried this one? Turns out i'm anemic too so doc told me to get this liquid version. It tastes refreshing of fruit flavors and you take 10ml in the morning and night. Thought it could help since it's not a pill and tastes nice.
    https://www.amazon.com/Floradix-Floravital-Supplement-Extract-Formula/dp/B002F5GESU/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453148625&sr=1-4&keywords=liquid+iron+supplement
  • Options
    I've been anemic off and on my whole life. The only official diagnosis before pregnancy was about 10 years ago. I remember one of the warnings was to NOT lay down for an hour after taking it. Read the warnings closely!

I popped up as just barely under the levels they were looking for at my last appointment. They just said to up my red meat consumption. Best. Homework. Ever.
  • Options
    Originally i was suppose to just up my iron rich foods. Now they said to take a suppliment on an empty stomach with orange juice. My struggle - wake up around 3am take thyroid med, wait about 3-4 hrs take iron, then finally prenatal later in the day. I cant take synthroid and iron at the same time and they asked me to take each on an empty stomach Ugh!