Yep, Another sleep question! — The Bump
Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Yep, Another sleep question!

I'm very fortunate that my 4 week old daughter has become quite a good sleeper already. She will have 3-4 hour sleeps during the day and sometimes will sleep 5 hours during the night.
I have been told that babies shouldn't be awake any longer than 1 hour, however sometimes she is awake, alert and happy and really isn't ready for a sleep for up to 1 hour 45 mins(on the rare occasion).
I put her in her cot anyway and sometimes she's happy others she is not. Would it be so wrong if I kept her with me until she was tired and then I put her down?

Re: Yep, Another sleep question!

• I think that every baby is different and has different sleep/wake patterns. My LO is a great sleeper at night, usually goes 12 hours with one wake up to eat around the 8 or 9 hour mark. However, she barely sleeps during the day, only taking four or five 30 minute naps. Most every article I've read says babies need to nap at least 45 minutes, but that's just not how her body works. She also stays awake much longer in between naps, usually around 2 hours. I say just trust your instincts and that you know your baby well enough to know when she's sleepy. Follow her lead mama!
    Bigboobsmcgeewintersong
  • Loading the player...
  • Nothing wrong with that!
  • Loading the player...
  • Not at all! The key to being successful at parenting is being able to read your child and then act accordingly.
    wintersong
  • Not at all! The key to being successful at parenting is being able to read your child and then act accordingly.

This. ^
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My 4 week old was awake for 8 hours during the day Sunday with one or two 30 minute naps during that time. I asked the pediatrician about it Monday and said that it wasn't a huge deal unless he showed signs of sickness/not gaining weight/etc. or if it became routine. 1 hr 45 min awake is probably fine.
  • Like everyone said, should be fine. My LO is 4 weeks and has very awake hours from 10:30-noon/1pm at the latest. After that she's goes back to napping and being awake maybe an hour/ hour and a half during wake ups to naps.