Pregnant after IF

midwife vs OB?

I had been potentially interested in a midwifery practice when we first started TTC, but now I feel like I am so used to all the interventions, etc., that it is hard to imagine not going with an OB.  My primary interest in the midwifery practice has always been that it is the only practice in my area that will let you use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) during delivery, which I find intriguing.  Other considerations: the OB that we met with way-back-when and have been planning to use is very convenient to my office, whereas the midwifery practice is somewhat less convenient.  But I probably won't have appointments with the same frequency with which I've had RE appointments, so maybe that's not such a big deal.  Anyway, just curious if others here have made the choice to go with a midwife (or any other thoughts!).  Thanks!
About me:
/loss mentioned/
TTC#1 July 2014
dx: MFI (morphology)
IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
d&c, followed by cytotec
TTCAL April 2016
IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN

Re: midwife vs OB?

• I am thinking that anyone who went the IF route is automatically too complicated for a
    Nurse or lay midwife. I vote ob.
  • We went the OB route. I was pretty indifferent (just want to make sure I can get an epidural if need be, which would have been possible if I had the midwife at the hospital), but when I opened that discussion with DH, he said 'Hell no, I want a real doctor!'...I guess like @hopes4baby we went through a lot medically to get here (with a surgery the month before I got pregnant), so even though all has been progressing well, our confidence in doctors is just a little higher these days. Appointments for me have been monthly and will be until pretty much the end of 2nd tri. Then I'm moving to every 2 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've actually posted something similar to this on this board and so have a couple other people. You might try searching and can find some good responses. :)

On that note, I decided to go with a midwife and I don't regret it. I love the office I go to and I've loved all the midwives I have met with so far! :)

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Thanks @AdorkablePixie! We are actually going to a meet and greet tonight with one of the midwife groups at a hospital in our area.
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN