Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Missed miscarriage-- fears about D & C

Hello everyone,

My partner and I went to my 12 week appointment on 12/7 only to find that I had experienced a missed miscarriage at 7-8 weeks (after seeing the heartbeat at 6w1d). This has been devastating for us. I took cytotec on 12/10--had some intense cramping and bleeding, but then went in for an ultrasound on 12/28 to discover the tissue had not been passed after all. Took cytotec again (happy NYE) for two more nights-- nothing. At this point my doctor advised a D&C scheduled for 1/6. I am terrified. I know it's the best way to move forward but I am so scared about the process. Any advice? Thank you so much.

Re: Missed miscarriage-- fears about D & C

• Options
    Hello, I am so sorry for your loss! I am going to bump a recent post about D&C's that I hope you find helpful. All the best to you!
  • Options
    Thanks, silentP-- very helpful. Fingers are crossed that it goes well and this will give some closure to the whole physical part of all this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The week before Christmas i went through a similar process over the course of little over 1 week (2 failed cytotec doses then d&c). I was scared, but the d&c was super easy for me. Cramping pretty minimal for a day or two after and no more worrying. Hopefully it will be just as smooth for you! No big need to worry. It is a very easy and quick procedure that many women have.
    Married 10/12 & TTC since 09/15
    BFP #1 11/06/15 - EDD 7/14/16 - MMC 12/14/15 - D&C 12/22/15
    BFP #2 03/13/16 - EDD 11/26/16

• Options
    Ugh. Holidays can be so tough! Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate knowing you went through it and all went well. I am also so sorry for your loss. Wishing you the best!
  • Options
    I had one at the end of October.  (Oct 23.  I'd found out that the baby was no longer viable Oct 21, and they suspected a molar pregnancy.  So I went in to see my ultrasound and hear a heartbeat and ended up leaving with a scheduled operation.  So I hadn't had time to adjust emotionally to anything).  Physically the procedure was a breeze, but emotionally I was a wreck.  The nursing staff at the hospital were all very nice and very understanding about what was happening.  My doctor was awesome and answered all my questions, so make sure you ask if you have any questions remaining!
    I didn't have any pain immediately afterwards, but was so exhausted for days!  They said I could return to a normal schedule after, but I was too tired to do much of anything for days.  However, several days after the procedure I was in a lot of pain and ended up taking tons of pain meds and it didn't even seem to help!  I'm guessing it was made worse by the fact that I hadn't felt any pain after the operation so I hadn't taken any meds, and then suddenly there was pain and it was awful for a few days.  But then everything seemed to return to normal physically after that.  

I did have bad cramps/ovulation pain during my next cycle, which was very odd and something I'd never had before but apparently is common.  

Hopefully this helps in some small way!

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    Hi, first so sorry for your loss. I just had my D&C today. I was terrified as well. The procedure really was a breeze. I got anesesia via IV and only remember them turning it on and then waking me up after, seemed like it never happened. No pain after. My doctor does at least one a week and she only uses suction if she can. To ease your fear, they are unfortunately very common. I saw another woman getting wheeled out in the same elevator as me upset, coming from the same area, clearly she probably just had one too. Anyways, don't be scared, it's so fast I didn't even have time to cry and be upset because I was waking up and seeing my family already. Hope this helps and happy to answer any questions I can.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your comments-- honestly, just opening up and sharing on this board has already helped so much. I'm still scared, but that burden of carrying around this devastating secret has lifted. I know this will bring closure in some ways and help us move forward again. My guy is wonderful but it's just nothing like talking with someone who has been through it, another mom who lost her baby. I never knew I could be so in love with someone I had never met yet! Thanks again for your honesty and kind words in sharing about your experiences.