April 2016 Moms

Opinions that are not Popular

2»

Re: Opinions that are not Popular

• brenlo42 said:

I walk around barefoot at home and I think a lot of people do so that argument confused me.

I don't like Adele or any new music.

If you read correctly, I said "do you walk OUT of your house barefoot" not IN your house barefoot. I walked around barefoot in my home all the time, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it in a public place like Disney or the mall. That's just my opinion.
    It's definitely a cultural thing. In Hawaii where I was born and raised we walk barefoot all of the time. When I moved to Cali, I still can't shake it. I know @RoseShadow873 has lived in Hawaii too.

Not saying I go to Target and Von's barefoot.. I just prefer to be barefoot.
    I was actually going to say something about it being a cultural thing as well! Lol. In my culture, newborns rarely leave the home, unless it's to go to the doctor. You're pretty much welcoming visitors at your house for the first couple of months, and. Not going out to places like stores, or theme parks. Grandparents would frown on you for doing so. Also, babies don't leave the house without socks or a hat. Too many germs. Too many things that can affect such an immature immune system. I would get so annoyed with my mom initially, more about the hat part than the socks, because I didn't feel it was cold enough to merit a hat, but sometimes you just have to choose your battles.
    You're afraid of germs that may be floating in the air and landing on a baby? I understand not letting sick family members give kisses or not letting baby play in a port a potty, but this fear of germs seems extreme. Exposure to germs is good for us!

If a baby is walking around, I would want at least socks on them in public places, but if they are a pre-walker, being held and carried all the time, a bare foot doesn't seem any different than an un-gloved hand.

Also, maybe I'm a brat but grandparents can frown all they want, I dgaf. I have had grandparents frowning on me for doing things like LO not sleeping with a blanket, or not wearing a winter coat in the car seat. I get the side-eye all the time from all sorts of people for continued rear-facing in the car seat. Their dirty looks/comments are not going to stop me from doing what I think is appropriate for my kid.
    Nobody said that the side eye from grandparents made anyone stop them from doing what they felt was appropriate for their child, I just said that usually that's what will happen. My mom still tells me about the weather when it gets cold and to make sure I bundle up DS1, but I choose how to dress my child for whatever temperature as I see for. No one will agree on everything you do as a parent. Coming from Caribbean culture, the older generations always think their ways are the best. Valid some of them are good, I don't believe I live my life in accordance to all of their standards and that's fine by me.

Yes, I am concerned about germs floating in the air, especially with little ones. For the same reason I wouldn't someone holding my kid without first having washed their hands or sanitized them. My husband is a little OCD, and DS1 was a preemie which may have part of why I am the way I am, but it's still my opinion. If I feel comfortable putting a blanket and socks over my child's feet in a crowded area, and someone else doesn't, that's their prerogative. This was just my UO for the week, and I can tell that it's definitely... Unpopular. Nbd. Lol.
  • I hate the texture of fruit.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • fbanke42 said:

I hate the texture of fruit.

That was so random it made me laugh out loud!

• @elasticheart13 My family thinks I'm a freak for it! I like the taste (smoothies, juice, flavored water), but I can't stand eating fruit.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @elasticheart13 you took the words right out of my mouth. I don't know if there's such a thing as perfect timing on an Internet forum...but that was it.
  • @elasticheart13 you took the words right out of my mouth. I don't know if there's such a thing as perfect timing on an Internet forum...but that was it.

;)<3

• @fbanke42 I feel that way about some melon - like, cantaloupe and watermelon bug me
  • Melons are gross!
  • Melons are gross!

Ahhhh! Blasphemy!