Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Getting Baby to Sleep Alone - Advice needed!!!!

My son is 10 weeks old. He has been sleeping with me since he was 3 weeks old. He would wail and cry if he wasn't being held and would not stay asleep in his crib, bassinet or pack and play. We rock him to sleep then would lay him down and he instantly wakes up within minutes. We even attempted swaddling which helps some, but not enough to ensure that his sleep goes uninterrupted. I don't mind him sleeping with me, however, it has always made me a bit nervous. Unfortunately though, he only sleeps in his swing or in our arms. I want to transition him to his own sleep space and would like some advice. Have any other moms experienced this? Thanks!

Re: Getting Baby to Sleep Alone - Advice needed!!!!

• Options
    I'd look at the website precious little sleep. It helped us transition.
  • Options
    wintersongwintersong member
    edited January 2016
    Maybe a cosleeper like the arms reach?

Eta if you Cosleep, make sure to research how to do it safely.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try a RnP, it cradles them, worked for my LO
  • Options
    We used a cosleeper attached to the bed. My kids bedshare (still). Sometimes the kid just has a temperament that requires being close to caregivers. There is nothing wrong with that, IMHO. Its strictly a western ideal that children be forced to bed-down alone or that it is a requirement for "good" parenting.

I know some kids that refused to bed share and required their own crib-- I say follow the baby's lead about what they need vs. what you want. That's my philosophy anyway.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Since nobody has mentioned it: try putting a heating pad on whatever surface you plan to have him sleep on. Let it pre-heat the surface, remove it, then put LO in. The warmth helps since he's used to being snuggled up warm.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020