November 2015 Moms

Anybody else think about their birth often?

LydianGLydianG member
edited December 2015 in November 2015 Moms
I don't know why but i find myself thinking about luke's birth often. I had a water birth at a birth center with midwives, everything went well... I didn't even tear or need to use a peri bottle afterwards. I just think about it. My SO made a video when the baby was coming out and its almost like watching someone else and not myself. I'm not upset by anything. I was just wondering if anyone else thinks about theirs a lot lately as well. If so... What do you think about?

Re: Anybody else think about their birth often?

• With my daughter I thought about and re-lived her birth almost nightly. After 2 days of unmedicated labor I ended up with a c-section. I had a lot of bad bad feelings about it.
    This time I had a VBAC and I'm still on a high from it! It makes me so happy when I think about it.

I think it's normal to think about it. The story of your childrens' births will stay with you forever. I know my mom used to tell me my birth story every year on my birthday.
  • I think about it often. Mainly the part when he came out and was plopped on my chest and we made eye contact. Such an awesome moment.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think about it a lot... more so because I feel a little guilty about it. I had an easy pregnancy and delivered at 41 weeks after only 20 minutes of pushing.... but my daughter was blue when born, and her cry was so weak (she aspirated during delivery and immediately spent a week in NICU)

I guess I hate so much that it was so easy for me, and so hard for her.
  • Yeah I also had a positive birth experience and I replay it in my head often. I think it's pretty normal, I do the same for other big moments in my life too: my wedding day, graduation, the day I met my husband, etc. Reminds me of all the positive things in my life when I feel down
  • Yes it was the most beautiful experience i have ever experienced I didn't know life was this beautiful till my baby girl came along I'm so happy I had her after a miscarriage, so thankful. As far as labor was very painful but very worth it I will do it all over again :)
  • Yeah I think about it a lot. I wish I could say it makes me happy to relive it but it doesn't. I went in for what I thought would just be some monitoring and then was told I was going to be induced. 21 hours later my son was born via CS. Just feel like I missed out on a lot. My body didn't even get me to the point where I could even try to push. I'm hoping for a VBAC and a more positive experience next time around.
  • I do all the time! I'm ready to do it again and she's only 6 weeks:) I had a great experience and thinking of the first time seeing her makes me tear up
  • I don't even remember much, I had a 5 hour labor and as a FTM I had no idea what was going on. I was only at the hospital for an hour, I wish I could
    Of soaked more of it in!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I relive mine a lot. It almost seems surreal, like I made it, I'm a mom. Overall I had a really positive birth experience until baby came out. She wasn't put on my chest, they took her to clean her off while I was stitched up and afterwards handed to SO. I didn't get to hold her until 20 minutes later. In that sense I feel so cheated, and it makes me upset. Also the stitching experience was super painful because the numbing shots didn't work and they turned off my epidural so I just remember crying in pain and wanting my baby. I'm starting counseling so hopefully I will be able to start focusing on the good rather than the bad.
  • I had a wonderful birth experience as well . . . it didn't go as planned, but it was definitely a positive experience.  My doula took photo's, and I find myself looking over them and thinking about it from time to time.  Next birth I will aim for some changes, but am very pleased with it :)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know if I would call my birth experience wonderful, but it went exactly as planned and LO came out perfect and healthy. I also had a birth center delivery, and it was hard as hell and intense and painful, but I got to do it how I wanted, and LO was steady as a rock the entire time, enabling me to persevere through. I do definitely think about it a lot, and appreciate the physical and mental support from my H and the calm presence of my labor nurse and Midwife. Having such a peaceful atmosphere really helped me. Birth, to them, was business as usual, and that attitude helped me keep going. I was so lucky to have the birth experience I planned for, and I am certainly thankful for that.
  • It's all I think about it because it took an hour and a half from start to finish and I feel like such a badass. Contractions started at 1:00 am and she was born at 2:35 am. No time for any pain relief, I was forced to go natural. I didn't think I could ever do it until it was the only option. Still wouldn't choose to go that route if there's ever a third haha. Recovery was a breeze and I knew what to expect as a seasoned mom. It was just SO different from DD1...induced, epidural, over 24 hours of labor, second degree tearing, being clueless about everything.
  • Omg I freaking love my birth and will gladly tell anyone who asks about it every detail lol. I also birthed outside of hospital at a birth center med free and I loved every single thing about it all. I am already excited to have another baby :flushed: don't worry. Waiting til LO is 2 before we plan on trying for another! :)
  • gumby22cgumby22c member
    edited December 2015
    Yes. I had a really good birth experience and love thinking about it and replaying it in my head.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mmmynyxmmmynyx member
    edited December 2015
    I do too! It wasn't how I planned it but the rush of emotions when I heard and felt my water break and everything after was amazing. 32+ hrs of labor from when my water broke to when I first woke up from surgery. I almost want to relive it...ALMOST. :flushed:
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited December 2015
    I think about mine often as well. It was such a great experience and I love thinking about the part where I saw her for the first time and pulled her onto me.
  • I do, too. It wasn't a glorious experience- not enough time for an epidural, needed vacuum and episiotomy, back labor bc DS was sunny side up, his heart rate dropped to the point that it was push *now* and an emergency cs was imminent if I couldn't push him out.

Sometimes I cry, but mostly I'm happy we both can out great in the end. I really can't ask for more than that.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm in the opposite camp and look at my birth story with a lot of contempt. I feel as though a lot of the experience I craved was robbed from me as I was induced when my body (and LO) was not ready. 4 days of laboring- 2 off of cervadil at home (frankly the worse part of it all), 2 in the hospital, 2 attempted fails to break my water, finally caving into an epidural after not sleeping only for it to not work in transition labor;pushing for 3 hours all to end in a Csection. At the end of the day,I've come to terms with it and will happily wear the story as a badge for my daughter as she is safe and happy. It definitely skews my next pregnancy as though I want a VBAC but I'm scared out of my mind the same will happen again- I find myself focusing more on that than anything else when thinking on 9 weeks ago.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one! My birth experience was great. I progressed pretty fast and my epidural was great. my doctor was fantastic, her cord was around her neck and I tore more than normal inside and lost a lot of blood and he stayed very calm and made sure I didn't freak out about anything. I absolutely loved all my nurses they were great and very comforting considering I spent a good hour crying about how I wasn't ready to give birth and I said i was going to hold the baby in cause I'm not having a baby that day, Lol.
  • Sounds almost like mine.
  • sadyy131 said:

I relive mine a lot. It almost seems surreal, like I made it, I'm a mom. Overall I had a really positive birth experience until baby came out. She wasn't put on my chest, they took her to clean her off while I was stitched up and afterwards handed to SO. I didn't get to hold her until 20 minutes later. In that sense I feel so cheated, and it makes me upset. Also the stitching experience was super painful because the numbing shots didn't work and they turned off my epidural so I just remember crying in pain and wanting my baby. I'm starting counseling so hopefully I will be able to start focusing on the good rather than the bad.

Sounds like my experience, I am fighting PPD for these reasons.
  • I think about it a lot, too. I just wish I could remember it clearly enough to write it down. My memory of that experience is so blurred that I can't seem to get my facts straight enough to write them down.
  • I'm so obsessed with my birth. It was exactly how I wanted it. I'm pretty sure my family is really sick of hearing about it... ;)
  • I thought about DS birth a lot afterwards, after 35 hours of labor I had a CS. I really did not want a CS, as I replayed the experience in my head there was nothing I would of done differently which really helped me accept the CS.
    This time I had a scheduled CS and don't think about it at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think about mine everyday. It was the worst experience of my life. I was induced and in excruciating pain for 11 hours. I got an epidural on the tenth hour but it didn't work so they had to come back and redo it cause I was crying and begging for help. The anesthesiologist and his assistant were mean and rude and wouldn't let my husband be in the room and told me to stop all the crying and wouldn't help me sit up. After they re-did it, the Dr came in and I pushed like 4times and he was here. I think I'm a little traumatized.
  • I think about mine everyday. It was the worst experience of my life. I was induced and in excruciating pain for 11 hours. I got an epidural on the tenth hour but it didn't work so they had to come back and redo it cause I was crying and begging for help. The anesthesiologist and his assistant were mean and rude and wouldn't let my husband be in the room and told me to stop all the crying and wouldn't help me sit up. After they re-did it, the Dr came in and I pushed like 4times and he was here. I think I'm a little traumatized.

Wtaf. That is beyond traumatizing. Someone needs to shove an epidural up that anesthesiologist's ass.
  • I compare this birth to DS's birth all the time. This one was 4 hours long, no time for epidural, and my memories are basically of intense pain (back labor) and screaming through each contraction. I was so surprised by the way events unfolded that I didn't have the same bonding experience I had with DS. It feels so sad to say that, but I was in shock about what my body just went through. I would describe my epidural birth with DS as beautiful and calm. I was in no pain and could concentrate only on him. In hindsight, I love that I gave birth both ways, because I won't ever give birth again, but I wish I had better memories of the med free one.
  • chein1 said:

I think about mine everyday. It was the worst experience of my life. I was induced and in excruciating pain for 11 hours. I got an epidural on the tenth hour but it didn't work so they had to come back and redo it cause I was crying and begging for help. The anesthesiologist and his assistant were mean and rude and wouldn't let my husband be in the room and told me to stop all the crying and wouldn't help me sit up. After they re-did it, the Dr came in and I pushed like 4times and he was here. I think I'm a little traumatized.

Wtaf. That is beyond traumatizing. Someone needs to shove an epidural up that anesthesiologist's ass.
    Thank you. I really would like to. I asked my ob for his and his assistant's names and told her what happened. I plan on writing a complaint to the hospital.
  • I think about mine too. My water broke at 34.5 weeks. I had a pretty easy birth. Was induced at 12:00 and he was born at 8:30 but since he was so early I only got to hold him for one minute and then he was risked away to NICU for 12 long days. We didn't get to hold him again until the next day and he was on the ventilator then. I really missed out on the normal post birth experience. :(. I think that will always be with me. He was my first baby and I hope if we have another one it is a healthy term baby and I can cuddle him/her after all that work. He is a healthy growing boy now and I'm so thankful for that. He is my whole world even though I am utterly exhausted most of the time.
  • I think about it also.
    There are things that I wish were different. They nag my brain sometimes.
    Overall though, it went along with my birth plan, which is great.
    That moment when he came out and got put on my chest, watching him latch for the first time, seeing his dad hold him and cry and thank me so sweetly.
    I could do all that again!!
  • Yes! I think about my daughters birth often and I think it is mainly because it was the most beautiful experience I've ever had. I labored naturally for 13 hours until I reached 6cm dilated then I received an epidural and was able to sleep for another 5 hours until it was time to push. I was able to feel my daughter move through my birth canal until she was crowning. I pushed 3 times and she was out. I only needed 2 stitches and was able to go to the bathroom and walk within 30 mins of having my epidural removed. I couldn't have asked for a better birth experience.
  • chein1 said:

It's all I think about it because it took an hour and a half from start to finish and I feel like such a badass. Contractions started at 1:00 am and she was born at 2:35 am. No time for any pain relief, I was forced to go natural. I didn't think I could ever do it until it was the only option. Still wouldn't choose to go that route if there's ever a third haha. Recovery was a breeze and I knew what to expect as a seasoned mom. It was just SO different from DD1...induced, epidural, over 24 hours of labor, second degree tearing, being clueless about everything.

Sounds so much like mine ! Second baby , the whole thing was 2 hours from start to finish , also no time for an epidural or anything ! All unmedicated and def not by choice ! I guess looking back it was a good experience , just really really intense, I really thought I was going to die.
  • @wulfpackgirl my little was on my chest about 30 seconds but wasn't breathing properly bc she swallowed a lot of meconium coming out and I didn't see her for over 2 hours where I wasn't updated at all anything about how she was doing. I feel like I missed out on a lot too obv your experience was much more but I feel your pain!
  • Shortly after his birth I thought about it a lot and really wanted to talk about it. Explain to people what really happened and be able to work through the traumatic experience by sharing it and talking it out. I wouldn't change a thing about my birth and I'm happy with the way things went. But for some reason I felt the need for people to understand that my emergency c section wasn't just a failure to progress or a baby not fitting, or even a heart rate dropping with each contraction, but rather a heart rate that plummeted and would not come back up resulting in c section with him born less than 10 minutes after the first sign of trouble. And it frustrated me to no end that no one wanted to really listen and hear me out. They just wanted to hear about the baby. Which I totally get, the baby is the exciting part. But for me I felt the need to talk about it and because no one wanted to hear it, I found myself thinking about it a lot. Now I don't really find myself thinking about it much anymore, but if someone asks about it I take the opportunity to talk about it.
  • kmd91 said:

Shortly after his birth I thought about it a lot and really wanted to talk about it. Explain to people what really happened and be able to work through the traumatic experience by sharing it and talking it out. I wouldn't change a thing about my birth and I'm happy with the way things went. But for some reason I felt the need for people to understand that my emergency c section wasn't just a failure to progress or a baby not fitting, or even a heart rate dropping with each contraction, but rather a heart rate that plummeted and would not come back up resulting in c section with him born less than 10 minutes after the first sign of trouble. And it frustrated me to no end that no one wanted to really listen and hear me out. They just wanted to hear about the baby. Which I totally get, the baby is the exciting part. But for me I felt the need to talk about it and because no one wanted to hear it, I found myself thinking about it a lot. Now I don't really find myself thinking about it much anymore, but if someone asks about it I take the opportunity to talk about it.

That is hard. I'm sorry to hear that. I met a couple of wonderful girls in our birth class and we have all talked extensively about our births. It is really therapeutic, regardless of if your birth went the way you wanted or not. I hope you can find someone that will really listen. My birth didn't go the way I wanted, but I did have a good experience overall and for that I'm thankful.
  • I think about mine probably everyday. I had a great experience and loved my Midwife and nurses. I also love to talk about my birth, and will tell anyone that asks all about it.
  • YESS because it was miserable! I was induce. I was in labor 25 hours, 17 without an epidural, and they Uped my petocin about 6 times. Then on top of all of that, when they broke my water, she went into distress, so we got rushed into am emergency c-section. I went though 25 hours of labor, then still had to recover from a c-section anyway. My body went through it! My first baby and I think I'll never be induced again. I think about how much I wish I could have done differently.. nothing went according to planned.
  • I don't think about birth too often but it was wonderful. I labored at home for 2 hours and another hour at the hospital and LO was hhere. No time for any pain meds but that's how I wanted it anyway. This time I didn't want to be induced and I wasn't, if I had to be induced again I don't think my experience would be as good.
  • chein1 said:

It's all I think about it because it took an hour and a half from start to finish and I feel like such a badass. Contractions started at 1:00 am and she was born at 2:35 am. No time for any pain relief, I was forced to go natural. I didn't think I could ever do it until it was the only option. Still wouldn't choose to go that route if there's ever a third haha. Recovery was a breeze and I knew what to expect as a seasoned mom. It was just SO different from DD1...induced, epidural, over 24 hours of labor, second degree tearing, being clueless about everything.

Sounds so much like mine ! Second baby , the whole thing was 2 hours from start to finish , also no time for an epidural or anything ! All unmedicated and def not by choice ! I guess looking back it was a good experience , just really really intense, I really thought I was going to die.

It was terrifying for sure! And I was so "wtf?! Our baby's here?!" after it happened...no mental preparation whatsoever.