February 2016 Moms

How do you know? Leaking Fluid..

My doctor said today that my twins had dropped down so low that he is surprised I am not leaking fluid(I am a little over 35 weeks). My first thought was how would I know if I am leaking? I pee so often that I don't think I would know the difference. Is there a color to it? What should I look out for?

Re: How do you know? Leaking Fluid..

• That's how I feel when they ask me about leaking at my NSTs. I'm think I pee a thousand times a day. I pee when I cough, sneeze, puke, or laugh. How the heck am I supposed to know if I'm peeing or leaking?!?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It is more like you have no control- say you go to the bathroom and your done peeing, but then liquid just keeps coming out and you have no control. They can always test your Urine too to see if it is just pee or amniotic fluid. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • RHrebien said:

It is more like you have no control- say you go to the bathroom and your done peeing, but then liquid just keeps coming out and you have no control. They can always test your Urine too to see if it is just pee or amniotic fluid. :)

Ditto all of this. If liquid is coming out just when you're walking or sitting (even a little) it's likely amniotic fluid.

• I found out that I was leaking when I had been to pee an hour before I felt fluid.  It wasn't amniotic fluid but it was blood.  

Amniotic fluid smells sweet.  They also have test strips at the doc's office for it.  They also measure how much amniotic fluid is around the baby during the ultrasound.  If u are leaking after u go potty, go to the Dr and have them check it out asap.
  • With my first my water broke at 37 weeks. I didn't know for sure that my water broke but I was peeing and just kept peeing. It wasn't a ton of liquid though so I was unsure. 20 or 30 minutes later I thought I had peed myself a little bit. I changed my underwear and put on a pantyliner. Throughout the evening I kept having to change my pantyliner. A few hours of this and I started to notice little pink, yellow and red spots in the liquid. Before that it was just clear. 
  • I had an appt. yesterday and they asked the same thing. And I wonder how you know if you're "leaking" as well!!

I have had a bad cough for about 10 days and half the time i cough I pee too. I can use the restroom, wash my hands, walk out and then have to go again. I probably should have told the doctor this, but forgot. I also drink a lot of water so I assume it's just that?! Like 12-14 glasses a day.
  • robinj716robinj716 member
    edited December 2015
    I had to pee the other morning while making SO's lunch, but I was trying to hold
    It. Then the feeling of needing to pee went away. A few minutes later, all of a sudden liquid started running down my leg. I thought my water broke for a minute, but then after actually
    Going to the bathroom to pee and then laying down for a little, I didn't experience any other wetness after that. I honestly just peed my pants. Talk about freaking out and embarrassing all at once! Note to self: don't try to hold it any longer!
  • I'm not sure. I walk at the YMCA. Yesterday I walked two miles. When I got home my pants were all wet. More than just sweating. How do I know of its pee or sweat or fluid?
  • mabrams27 said:

My doctor said today that my twins had dropped down so low that he is surprised I am not leaking fluid(I am a little over 35 weeks). My first thought was how would I know if I am leaking? I pee so often that I don't think I would know the difference. Is there a color to it? What should I look out for?

If you're soaking in your pantyliner super fast (less than an hour) with fluid I would say you're leaking and should call.
    I believe that's the rule I was told
  • Smell it, if it smells like urine you peed yourself. Totally happened to me with baby #1. Completely peed myself and thought my water broke. I called the doctor and she told me to smell it...it was definitely pee.

When you water breaks you have absolutely no control and there is no peeing sensation with it. It just happens...
    Praying this is our take home baby. STICK TURKEY Mommy will miss you everyday my beautiful angel. We love you Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers M/C on 1/05/11 at 11 weeks.
  • Having to change underwear twice a day is classed as "normal" per the OB Dr at L&D on Sat night. More than that and you should get checked out. Urine has the acidic smell vs amniotic fluid having no smell or a slight sweet smell.
  • I'm a STM and still don't know the answer. With my first and this one I felt like I was leaking fluid all the time and everytime they tested it came back negative. So in just waiting for a gush this time or it to break at the hospital like before
  • It's normal...I had a very full bladder and once I stood up the baby pushed on my bladder and I started leaking pee and had to hold myself lol

I'm 36 weeks now and so far I have an increase of discharge but a little more liquidy and I gotta use pads plus mild menstrual like cramps. Body is prepping for labor!