July 2016 Moms
Options

Which prenatal vitamins are best?

So I've been taking the prenatal vitamins my OB called in for me. They are blue (VP-PNV-DHA). Whatever that means. Lately they've been making me pretty sick. The nurse at the doctor's office told me when this happens they tell patients to take 2 of the Flintstone vitamins a day until they reach 13 weeks. I've got 3 weeks until I'm there. My question is which Flintstone vitamin? The gummy or chewable? I didn't even know there was more than one kind!!
Mommy to an angel baby and a sweet little girl Earth side.

Re: Which prenatal vitamins are best?

• Options
    I like the chewy prenatal vitamins. They seem to have enough folic acid and some even have DHA. Plus they don't have iron in them which helps prevent constipation. I have never gotten sick with from them.
  • Options
    This is a great search topic :) there is a long thread on this called parental vitamins and other supplements. I'm not able to link it since I'm on the app but it was from I believe Nov. 17th if you just search prenatal vitamins it shows up second :)
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    With DS I used the gummy vitamins from Target, but this time around I am using the Women's One-a-Day Prenatals. They have 800mcg of folic acid and 200mg of DHA, in addition to 28mg of Iron, so I feel like they're kind of a one-stop shop. I have to take them after a meal, though.
  • Options
    The ones you can keep down. I switched to a gummy prenatal a few weeks ago and also take them at night before bed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    I take Vitafusion brand prenatal gummies. I couldn't keep the regular pills down. The gummies that I take have enough folic acid that I don't need to supplement with another pill.
  • Options
    Which ever on you can keep down is the best.
  • Options
    I love the rainbow light prenatals. They are the only ones that make feel ok and don't constipate me. They actually have prenatal blends for morning sickness and a digestive blend in the pills.
  • Options
    My OB told me that whatever prenatal you can keep down, is a good one. ;)

That being said, I used the NatureMade ones last pregnancy, and I am using Rainbow Light this time. There is one Rainbow Light that you take three times a day, or you can get the one that you take once a day (which is the one that I take). But it doesn't have any DHA, so I also take a Omega-3 soft gel at the same time. 
    My doc said take whatever, they're pretty much all the same, and since I typically grocery shop at Trader Joe's, I got their prenatals. They don't make me sick or constipated or anything so works for me.
  • Options
    My doc said the Target brand, up & up, is pretty much the best vitamin on the market.

I get the gummy vitamins and love them.
  • Options
    I just found this website that runs chemical analysis on popular prenatal vitamins. It won't tell you which ones upset your tummy - but it will tell you which ones are safest and most effective. So cool!

https://labdoor.com/rankings/prenatal-vitamins
  • Options
    I take the VitaFusion Gummies. I have trouble swallowing pills so gummies are the only way to go for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kellz14 said:

I just found this website that runs chemical analysis on popular prenatal vitamins. It won't tell you which ones upset your tummy - but it will tell you which ones are safest and most effective. So cool!

https://labdoor.com/rankings/prenatal-vitamins

Yikes, the VitaFusion gummies I am taking were tested as having 3200 mg of folic acid when we only need 800 (which is what the label claims it has). Wondering if I should switch to diner going else.. I have read too much folic acid can be bad for you.. Thanks for the link!