September 2016 Moms
Options

NYE Plans

Hi Ladies! I didn't see a thread about NYE yet, so I thought I would start one. 

I just posted my intro over in the intro thread, and am very happy to see a lot of familiar names here from TTGP! I just got two faint positive tests this morning which is AMAZING, but now I'm freaking out about our NYE plans. Anyone have a good lie to tell for not drinking? 

We made plans with another couple almost two months ago to go to a fancy wine bar/tapas place for dinner tomorrow night for NYE (we hang with them pretty much every NYE), so I can't cancel on them now the day before. Since I just got these positive tests, DH doesn't want me to drink at all. I've told him that we don't share a blood supply until about 6 weeks and one glass would be fine just to throw off suspicion, but I don't think he's sold on that. 

So my questions to you ladies are:  what are your NYE plans? How are you explaining not drinking to friends? Or are you just going to have a glass of champagne anyway? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: NYE Plans

• Options
    We aren't doing much for NYE so I'm not in your predicament but I would just order a yummy non-alcoholic drink. Will they notice your drink doesn't have alcohol? Or you can just say you're on meds that don't allow alcohol. Or say you've had a headache all day and don't think alcohol will help. 
  • Options
    Were staying in and dvring the ball drop to watch with DS the next day. Can you get to there early and get a fruity non-alcoholic drink from the bar and then be the dd?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Emillz5Emillz5 member
    edited December 2015
    We also have plans with another couple for NYE. I think I am just going to tell them we are expecting even though it is still really early and we just found out 2 days ago. She is one of my best friends and I trust both of them not to spread the news. Plus, I already told her when we were TTC. I just can't think of any other excuse that I won't be drinking because if I was not pregnant I would always be down to drink lol
  • Options
    I guess it depends on how comfortable you feel with them but I would probably tell them you are pregnant.  And just ask them not to say anything since it is still so early.  Have fun!  We are probably going to see if my parents can watch the kids so we can go to dinner.  Then we'll just stay home to watch the ball drop.  If I can stay up that late.  Last year I didn't make it lol!
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am so jealous of everyone staying in to watch the ball drop! 

We're good friends with the other couple, but we're not that close, and don't see them too often. I probably wouldn't want to tell them before we tell our families. I am anticipating that they'll come to our house first, since I think they're spending the night, and then we'll all head out to the restaurant. I suppose I can use the old antibiotics routine? My allergies are bad year round so I'm always blowing my nose anyway! I was thinking of maybe saying I'm coming off of a sinus infection/end of antibiotics and can't drink too much? I guess being sick would also explain away any food aversions and not wanting to drink in general? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am having dinner with 2 of my best friends and their husbands- I already told them because I knew they would just call me out for not drinking plus we tell each other everything...I'm sure I'll have a glass of champagne though ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had the same  situation at brunch this morning with BIL, SIL, and DH's best friend and his wife. The girls were like "why aren't you having a mimosa?!" We just told them since that's why we took them out to brunch anyway.

For NYE we're going bowling and playing lazer tag, so I'm just going to tell the friends we're with that I'm not drinking because I'm the DD and don't want to start yet another year with a hangover!
  • Options
    We're having a get together with the fam at my moms house, so 4 couples and 4 kids.  We decided to go ahead and tell family tomorrow so don't have to hide the no drinking bc that would be a dead give away!! I am in the wine industry so wine is always always around.  With my first pregnancy my boss took me out to dinner and I wasn't ready to tell him yet and of course he ordered a bottle.  I took tiny sips, never even finished the whole glass and he drank the rest, and ordered another bottle!  He didn't even notice I wasn't drinking much, but he got smashed :)  @ashbear720  If everyone is drinking off the same bottle of wine its easier to hide, and your DH can sip off your glass some too :)

• Options
    nwshaynwshay member
    edited December 2015
    I am heading to a party tomorrow night with some close friends. My best friend is coming, and knows already shes she going to help me be sneaky. Shes either going to mix a drink for herself, and make a virgin one for me or just something to that nature. My coworkers PG sister went to a bar and actually spoke to the bartender early on and told him the situation so he brought virgin drinks all night. At the beginning she said shed get the first round and went up to make sure it was virgin. She also made herself some non alcoholic sangria for Thanksgiving and poured her own. Just some ideas! Everyone have fun!!

**edited because i forgot what day it is??**
  • Options
    We were supposed to do a big fancy dinner with some friends at a local steakhouse. I can't see spending a few hundred dollars to fake drink and not even be able to have my steak undercooked, so we're going to use the food poisoning excuse. We are having brunch with the same group on Sunday though, so my plan is to sneak in a word with the waiter to make sure all of my mimosas are just ginger ale and OJ.
  • Options
    AlyeenaAlyeena member
    edited December 2015
    I am having dinner with my husband and his family at a nice restaurant his sister and her husband are playing at. It will be good food and good music, but I definitely will not be making it until midnight, I have been falling asleep so early recently and I don't want to make myself over tired.

I won't be drinking either, obviously but I don't think anyone will care, I don't always drink anyways so. On this topic tho... I think it is insanely rude of someone to ask "OMG are you pregnant??" just because you are not drinking. My father's girlfriend did that to me and I was so mad, because she kept going at it to. 
    I wish people would realize that if people do not say anything it is because they are not ready yet and keep their suspicions to themselves. 

@KatBH Good idea about asking for ginger ale. It is good tip for those who would toast at midnight.
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• Options
    DH and I were just joking about one close friend of ours that ALWAYS asks "are you pregnant?" If I don't have a drink (I'm known to enjoy a beverage :) ). I said whenever we're ready to tell him I'll just wait for the question and say "yep" and continue on like its no big deal.