April 2016 Moms

Crafty moms check in

1. What have you been working on?
2. what would you like to get done this week?
3. What's your nursery looking like?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crafty moms check in

• 1. I just sewed some mama cloth this morning, just have to put snaps on them.
    2. I have no plans, but I do have some fabric for a baby quilt that I'd like to start on. I've never made a quilt, but I'm excited to try.
    3. We're not sure where baby will be going yet. I'm thinking that we'll put our 2 girls in DD1's room, but we've got plenty of time to decide.
  • 1. I want to start working on the wall art and sheets for the boys, but that requires me buying supplies or taking time to sew at my MIL's. I've been too busy and too tired to do anything this month...
    2. If I could get anything done, it would be making the crib sheets, since I can easily store those.
    3. The nursery is non-existent. I can't do anything until after we move, which probably won't be until early March. I've been trying to come up with a good plan for a shared bedroom for the boys, but most of the inspiration that I can find is for a baby and an older child... DS1 will be about 21 months old when DS2 is born, so I can't do the cool bunk bed Hong I keep seeing.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • i'm glad to know I'm not the only "crafty" one out there who's struggling to find the energy or motivation! I assume things will kick into high gear soon, but this exhaustion is real! We're doing our registry this weekend and hopefully that will give me some idea of what I need to make and what colors we need to paint, etc. 
    C + N 8.3.13
    Baby due April 6! 
  • I'm so excited to finally be able to participate! 1. I finally finished painting my chair. The cats claimed it as their own shortly after moving it into the house from the garage. I also crocheted a matching hat and booties, and made my sister an arm-knitted scarf, which I made DH model for photos. He was playing PS4 and was less than thrilled with his new modeling gig. 2. I plan to finish an Avengers afghan for LO (so stinking cute!) and clean out the future nursery, then I'll scout out hobby lobby and michael's online for end-of-year sales. 3. My nursery still has a few miscellaneous boxes to unpack but I plan to take the next few days to clean it out and start buying furniture and buying the supplies to decorate.
    Oooh that hat is so cute!!
  • 1. I've been chipping away at her hue shift afghan... unfortunately, it's been slow going. What with switching colors every other row, I spend more effort keeping my yarn untangled than I do actually knitting. I did finally break down and order a ball-winder, though... I've been trying to keep my skeins centerpull, but they're too loose and falling apart and the end on the outside of the skein keeps working its way into the mix. I want a nice tight yarn cake to knit from!

2. I'm hoping to get the rest of the first quadrant finished, and hopefully part of the second quadrant started. We have no plans this weekend, which should help.

3. It still looks like a guest bedroom/library, honestly. We're starting to put some thought into the colors we want to have, though, so we can start to register and hopefully find coordinating crib bedding and curtains and a comforter for the full-size guest bed that will remain in the nursery. And now that we've brought home the cradle, we're that much closer to actually having the motivation to move the furniture around!
  • AmadorRoseAmadorRose member
    edited December 2015
    @yodiggity it came together in about 20 minutes and the flower was the most difficult part.

@sprocketsngadgets aww a mermaid cocoon is on my wish list! They're all so cute! Is it knitted? I lose my patience for knitting very easily..

Edit because phone think patience is stir crazy.
  • 1. Nothing. I had absolutely no motivation after the holidays... And I feel really super guilty about it.

2. I'd like to restart the scrapbook. Like literally scrap everything I've done and restart.

3. We don't have one yet. We're moving in three or four weeks. The date isn't set yet. All we know is that we're on the top of the list and someone is moving out mid-January so we're getting their spot. Oh, but will I get crafty fever once I have that space to work in. I'm dying to find out if I'm allowed to paint the walls.

• @AmadorRose it's crochet. I would not have been able to knit that in a week. I also restarted like 4 times because I've never crocheted in the round before and redid the tail once from the start and probably 8 or 9 times from the middle. The scallops weren't matching up so I had to keep restarting until I figured out how to get them to look right. Same thing goes for the ruffles. My brain could not figure out the directions so I kind of just went with what was working and looking good. This is the pattern I used
    https://www.bhookedcrochet.com/2014/11/15/mystic-mermaid-cocoon/

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sprocketsngadgets awesome! I knit a scarf once and never picked it up after that. I love how easy crochet is to rip out and start over, because I tear out basically every project I start. And your cocoon is absolutely beautiful!
  • @AmadorRose do you have a pattern for the hat?! So stinking cute!!

1. With the holidays, my sister asked me to do some wood burning for a Christmas Train from Santa for my nephew... it came out cute! But beyond that I have had little motivation to work on projects... I still have only one bootie of my second pair! Ha ha.
    2. I really want to paint the wood letter monogram for the nursery. I'm debating if I want it to have glitter edges, or be hung with a ribbon... both would be too much.
    3. Nursery is coming along so nicely! I'm in love with it!

• Ahhhhh @allaire314 can you hold some wood burning classes? DH got me a wood burning tool for Christmas and I'm super excited but also kind of totally intimidated at the same time!
  • @AEG84  you are going to LOVE all of the things you can do with it!! The only downside is there is no eraser! Ha ha. I'd be more than happy to show you some tips and tricks - maybe we can steal a corner with a plug at the Jan Bumpie meet up ;)
  • @allaire314 YAAAAAAS (please!)
  • 1. I started a boy colored baby blanket this week. I'm only like eight rows in.
    2. I won't be finishing anything, but just plugging away at this blanket.
    3. No nursery. I did start looking at change tables, though.
  • AEG84 said:

Ahhhhh @allaire314 can you hold some wood burning classes? DH got me a wood burning tool for Christmas and I'm super excited but also kind of totally intimidated at the same time!

I have a wood burning tool on my Amazon wish list, but didn't get it for Christmas. Now, I'm wishing I had. The train looks amazing!
  • @kielpinskim  I had a regular on/off one to start, but upgraded to one that has an adjustable temperature setting. I definitely recommend the adjustable - you have so much more control. Here are some of my favorite projects!

Thanks @AmadorRose! Hope mine comes out as cute!
  • 1. I refrained from throwing my stubborn, jammed up sewing machine out the front door... Instead just packing it back up to try to fix another day.
    I also taught myself to crochet! Sort of...evidently I missed the memo that I need to count on every row, because its rather tapered and will end up looking more like a triangle than a blanket.
    2. I bought marshmallow yarn tonight and hope to start a blanket with that!
    3. I don't have a nursery, but I am working on putting the massive pile of laundry away that currently sits in the spot where LOs crib will be.

imageimage
  • 1. Nothing since Christmas travel started, but I started painting a house rules sign (in this house we...) the week before. The blank canvas has been hanging where it will go for months, so I felt super productive just starting it.

2. I'm debating starting an afghan purely to have a long term project, but we have so dang many blankets in this house already that we definitely don't need to make another. Maybe I'll look into if the hospital does care packages for losses. I've heard some do, but have no idea about ours...

3. Done from DD but in need of some TLC. (Pano attached, click and zoom to see the whole thing). Hopefully I'll paint the Baobob/Savannah tree mural (in the corner over the twin bed) in 2 weeks when DD is at the ILs. Then the to do list is:
    Deep clean
    New sheets and lengthen crib skirt,
    Re-hang chevron lion painting,
    Move DDs monogram and make a matching one for DS (once he has a name),
    Sort DDs and DSs clothes and swap the drawers to the other side of the credenza
    Get a bed rail so we can transition DD to the twin bed.
    Anniversary 
  • 1. What have you been working on?
    I'm starting a marshmallow blanket tonight that I got from Good Knit Kisses tonight. This little guy will be born in AZ in April, so it's not for warmth, mostly cuteness for pictures.
    2. what would you like to get done this week?
    I want to figure out how to do the damn magic ring part from the pattern @AmadorRose used. I seriously can't get it right and it's driving me nuts.
    3. What's your nursery looking like?
    We've deciding on doing a completely grey and white bedroom for the kids with masculine fabric for him and feminine patterns for her. This is one of the sheets I got for Thomas today :smile:
  • I'm planning on the tree being something along these lines in dark brown. Haven't decided if I'll do the giraffe or not yet.
    Anniversary 
  • @k&elizabeth I had never heard of it but once I figured it out, it was super easy. I believe there's a link to instructions on the page for the hat; otherwise, I always go to YouTube for answers.
  • mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited December 2015

@k&elizabeth I had never heard of it but once I figured it out, it was super easy. I believe there's a link to instructions on the page for the hat; otherwise, I always go to YouTube for answers.

YouTube ALL the new techniques/stitches!
    (This is my crochet life)
    Anniversary 
  • mrstrax said:

@k&elizabeth I had never heard of it but once I figured it out, it was super easy. I believe there's a link to instructions on the page for the hat; otherwise, I always go to YouTube for answers.

YouTube ALL the new techniques/stitches!
    (This is my crochet life)
    That's how I learned hairpin lace! Generally, though, the more you do, the easier it is. I've been crocheting for nearly 20 years and learned before the days of YouTube, but hairpin lace kicked my butt until I found tutorials.
  • So I have a question for crafty moms. I've dabbled a bit in jewelry-making and beads. Are there any good magazines out there to use as guides? Or websites, vlogs, etc, that I could utilize to take up the craft again? I took a class once before but it was too expensive to continually go to. I also would be fine with any information on painting guides.
  • @Bubbles3592 I don't have experience with beading specifically, but literally all of my ideas come from the Internet, mostly Pinterest. I can only assume there are tons of tutorials for beadwork, as there are tutorials for basically anything you could ever want to do. Once you get into the swing of things and have experience with patterns, you can start branching out and doing your own thing.
  • Finished first baby blanket, started a second one (looks like a scarf atm) and I'm almost done with the aphgan from hell I started over a year ago. I'll post that picture when it's finally finished....

• yodiggityyodiggity member
    edited December 2015
    Knottie9983816  Love those colors and the tassels
  • @yodiggity thanks! We're keeping to a neutral grey theme. I am happy that no one feels it's a girly blanket. I worried about that with the granny squares >.>
  • @Knottie9983816 granny squares rock! Your colors aren't feminine, so I don't think the blanket looks feminine at all.
  • yodiggityyodiggity member
    edited December 2015
    I bought some wooden letters to spell baby girl's name last night at hobby lobby. At first I thought of painting a couple and fabric wrapping a couple but I think I'm going to use some kind of decoupage and pretty paper to wrap because i couldn't find any fabric I liked at two stores.  
  • cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited January 2016
    yodiggity said:

I bought some wooden letters to spell baby girl's name last night at hobby lobby. At first I thought of painting a couple and fabric wrapping a couple but I think I'm going to use some kind of decoupage and pretty paper to wrap because i couldn't find any fabric I liked at two stores.  

I really like the look of the yarn WRAPPED ones too! Similar to this..

ETA: wrapped, not weapon, sheesh.
  • I've been working on a triple-yarn crocheted play mat/blanket. It's enormous but I've got a few months so no worries.

Her room is not as far along as I'd hoped because we realized we'll need to reorganize other rooms first to clear out our existing guest room/soon-to-be-nursery. Oh well!
  • Looking for opinions! I want to order fabric to make blankets and crib sheets. Which ones do you like? My MIL and DH like all of them, so they are no help.

Anniversary

• fbanke42 said:
    Looking for opinions! I want to order fabric to make blankets and crib sheets. Which ones do you like? My MIL and DH like all of them, so they are no help.
     1. Blue hexagons (row 2 #4)
    2. Aqua squares (row 1 #1)
    3. Blue arrows (row 2 #3)
    4. Burgundy/gray triangles (row 3 #2)

What colors/theme is the rest of your nursery? Or were you one of the ladies doing a corner nursery?
    Anniversary 
  • fbanke42 said:

Looking for opinions! I want to order fabric to make blankets and crib sheets. Which ones do you like? My MIL and DH like all of them, so they are no help.

Oh gee, they're all cute!

I like.. blue chevron with goldfish (1:2), grey stars (2:5), and multicolored triangles (3:1) the best though.
  • @mrstrax I don't have a color plan yet for the nursery, since I can't set anything up until March. LO will be sharing rooms with DS1, so I don't want to do a "baby theme" or make it look explicitly like a nursery. DH has been leaning towards sage as the feature, since it's a nice neutral color. I think the sage would look good with grey and/or burgundy accents. Yellow and orange would also go well with sage... I'm so torn!

Anniversary