April 2016 Moms

Who Holds Baby First?

2»

Re: Who Holds Baby First?

• Talk to your doctor about letting DH catch. That was the plan when DD was born, but DH ended up being in a wheel chair and on pain mess since he'd had a injury a few days before she was born. If DH and Dr are okay with him catching, it might solve both your problems! He catches baby and gets him/her to your chest.
  • Not holding the baby right away was one of my biggest fears with the prospect of having a c/s. Two c/s's later (and one on the way) I can say that I would not willingly give up the experience of holding my baby just after birth for anything. It is something I've never had and it still saddens me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • juana0909juana0909 member
    edited January 2016
    @cosmobella , i know the feeling,, i also had two previous c/s and LO on the way,, and it does suck that we have to wait to hold little one,,
  • DS had to be checked / observed after birth since his cord was wrapped around his neck (twice) and he was having a hard time breathing.  I honestly don't know if the nurses gave him to me or if DH did.

Could your DH catch the baby or cut the cord and then take him from the DRs / nurses and hand you the baby?  (Would not be for my DH though, seeing DS actually being born was NOT the highlight for my DH - I don't blame him!)

If everything goes well this time, I will do skin to skin immediately, but am prepared that that may not happen.
  • If I were in your shoes, definitely to MY chest first. This is selfish but I carried her for 9 months, I just went through labor ect. As mom don't you dare try to come between me and my baby (minus cs-I get that). That said, when DD was born there were no questions asked she was placed on my chest first. After a few minutes of cuddles and trying to nurse she was given a bath and put under a heat lamp, the entire time she held onto DHs finger. This was his special bonding with her and something he talks about all the time.

THIS. There is no discussion in my house about this. My husband wouldn't even think to suggest something else.