July 2016 Moms

Advice to a FTM from STM about foods to avoid

I am a huge worrier and have yet to really let myself enjoy beinng pregnant. I am almost 14 weeks and with friends yesterday went to a sushi restaurant. I know not to have raw anything so I ordered miso soup and a california roll with the fake crab meat. However since last night i have had a throbbing headache and freaking out. Can a STM reassure me?

Re: Advice to a FTM from STM about foods to avoid

• The throbbing headache may just be a coincidence. It is totally safe to eat cooked sushi. Definitely avoid anything raw, whether it be sushi, meat, eggs, etc. and you'll be fine! Try to enjoy your pregnancy and not worry too much. :smile:
  • The miso soup and soy sauce could of been the culprits. Happens to me on occasion. It could of just been too much sodium for you.
    I never had a problem with it until pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have throbbing headaches all day everyday. It is hormones. Cooked sushi and miso soup are totally fine. I had some raw poke a couple of weeks ago and I am totally fine :)
  • DH and I are planning to go to a sushi restaurant for NYE dinner. I usually get the rolls with the crab meat since it's pre-cooked or anything tempura. As long as it's cooked you're fine! I second PP's thoughts - most likely a combination of hormones and possibly too much sodium. Besides, if you ate bad fish, I don't think it'd be your head that would be hurting.
  • DH and I are planning to go to a sushi restaurant for NYE dinner. I usually get the rolls with the crab meat since it's pre-cooked or anything tempura. As long as it's cooked you're fine! I second PP's thoughts - most likely a combination of hormones and possibly too much sodium. Besides, if you ate bad fish, I don't think it'd be your head that would be hurting.

this. exactly.
  • I agree with others - cooked sushi is fine! Likely it was too much salt, your hormones are out of whack, or it's just another fun random pregnancy symptom. Try to drink a lot of water today, that may help. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Don't eat peas. They make your farts smell terrible.

And asparagus makes your pee smell funny
  • My thought is you do you boo. Everyone is going to decide what is best for themselves and how strict they will be on the restrictions.
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• For real though I'm pretty sure if it was bad or somehow affecting the baby you would be throwing up and feeling sick... Not have a headache. Besides headaches are a perfectly normal pregnancy symptom. Like @Lindsayleigh1989 said everyone will decide their own limits when it comes to what they eat during pregnancy. I'm personally in "eat whatever the hell sounds good because I won't hold it down anyways" camp. I do my research and I am careful with things that have studies against it but there is also going to be a study against everything saying it's unsafe during pregnancy. You just have to pick and choose.
  • I had a rare steak 2 days ago. It was fantastic. I ate rare steak and cold subs through out both my children 's pregnancies. They are fine... as long as you don't look at the 2nd head.

I'm sure they are still cute :wink:

• MillieT09 said:
    The miso soup and soy sauce could of been the culprits. Happens to me on occasion. It could of just been too much sodium for you. I never had a problem with it until pregnancy.
    I totally agree with this - soy can be a big headache trigger.
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Milk. I haven't touched it this time around yet bc it is awful coming back up!

Addison (DD) born 6/10/12
    M/C 3/3/14 Due 10/8/14
    Rainbow Koen (DS) born 7/9/16

Lfafer  you want to have in your playgroup  * Best Baker  * Sweetest Lfafer * Best NBR\GTKY Threads*  Most Supportive Lfafer *   Best Mom * Lfafer you want organizing your meal train after birth

• Milk. I haven't touched it this time around yet bc it is awful coming back up!

This^ as is broccoli made that mistake today gross!

• What's with the sushi fear? I ate it both pregnancies and will this one too. It's fish!!!!
    Baby#3!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My new issue can't tell if I'm nauseous or hungry !

• I ate sushi with my second and this one. Raw sushi is pretty much the only thing I have actually wanted to eat so far this pregnancy. The listeria fear isn't enough for me to avoid it since the actual listeria outbreaks from the last 5-10 years have been predominately from lettuce and melons and ice cream...none of which my doctors have mentioned avoiding. I do make sure that I don't eat high Mercury fish and that I don't eat it too often in a given time period. Other than that, I don't worry. I also go to reputable places with consistently good health scores. There isn't really anything I avoid this pregnancy, unless it is something that the thought of turns my stomach.

Oddly enough I had worse heartburn after eating a really mildly flavored sweet potato curry than I did after eating tacos with a load of spicy salsa and a ton of jalapeños at a local Mexican restaurant. Crazy.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Eat whatever you want. I follow the rules on fish usually but if it looks good....eat it.
  • htn1763 said:

You might not want to ask stms! We are more likely not to care as much! Bring on sushi, caffeine, lunch meat, and whatever else you think it is you can't have.

Eh, I did this with my first pregnancy too. But again, I looked at the research behind it. I don't take blanket statements well.
  • I stay away from the uncooked sushi only because I know the fish isn't "fresh." I live in St. Louis, and even though my favorite sushi restaurant is amazing, I know that the majority of their fish comes in frozen. If we lived closer to a coast, maybe I'd be more likely to indulge in all the sushi.
  • All raw sushi should have been previously frozen for a set amount of time. IIRC, it's an FDA standard because it kills off parasites. Considering that the parasites are one of the two major risks associated with eating sushi, that's a great thing. I previously lived in coastal Mississippi and Alabama and the fish is treated the same there. As log as your sushi doesn't smell 'fishy,' you should consider it fresh-esque.

The other risk is from eating high Mercury fish. From common rolls, I believe that pretty much means tuna. Avoid those. I feel perfectly safe eating sushi from a reputable source.