April 2016 Moms

Buyer's remorse.. help!

cmjenkiescmjenkies member
edited December 2015 in April 2016 Moms
So, yesterday I went and splurged on a stroller/car seat - I got a Chicco Keyfit 30 & a Chicco Urban stroller. I paid ~580$ after tax. This was much more than I intended to spend. Today, at Target, I found a Britax B-Safe 35/B-Agile 3 travel system on clearance for 298$ after tax. I started feeling major buyers remorse as this was another option that I liked initially. It was the only one left so I bought it too until I could make up my mind.. because I do stuff like that too often.

Money has been kind of tight for us lately and yesterday's purchase was a big splurge (which we could afford thanks to Christmas.) Question is - is it really worth the 300$ difference? Or could that money be better spent elsewhere? I'm so conflicted and indecisive and it's pissing me off! Anyone have experience with either of these strollers in particular that could give me feedback? What would you do?

Re: Buyer's remorse.. help!

• I agree with pp the Britax on clearance was a steal. I would return the 580.
  • Loading the player...
  • I liked the Britax better than the Chico, so I'd go for the cheaper one!
  • I loved my bsafe & still use the bagile all the time, so I would keep those for the big price difference.
  • Thanks ladies, that's what I was definitely leaning towards. I used Chicco with DS first time around so I'm more familiar with the brand, which is why I chose it initially. My main issue is I'm not crazy about the 3 wheel stroller.. BUT I barely ever used a stroller with my first either because he hated them so who knows. I'm all for a good deal.
  • We heard great things about Britax, so we went with that-- we got ours on Amazon around Thanksgiving and it was $268 for the B-safe car seat and stroller.  $580 sounds a bit steep but I did not specifically look at that stroller/what options it has.
  • We use Britax car seat, stroller, and now the Britax Marathon seat with DS and love it.

Take that shit back and buy some A+A blankets and bibs of you want to splurge.
  • @Mailmans Baby Momma ahh I *love* A+A blankets!
  • I can't speak to stroller, but we actually just bought the Chicco keyfit 30 car seat today.  We went to multiple stores and spent (far too many!) hours online doing research, but ultimately went with the Chicco because it consistently ranks highest in safety and customer satisfaction!   Here are a few samples of reviews:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/04/5-best-car-seats-for-your-baby/index.htm
    https://baby-car-seats-review.toptenreviews.com/
    https://carseatblog.com/26915/the-safest-infant-carseats-new-crash-protection-ratings-and-methods-from-consumer-reports/
  • I used this Chicco Keyfit 30 with the buggy you just snapped it into (I don't recall what is was called, but it was no more than $150).  While I liked the Keyfit 30, DD1 has a long upper body so she outgrew it by six months.  I'm not sure if the stroller you bought can be used with a different attachment, but I would have hated to sink almost $600 into something which was useful for so little time.  But I am looking forward to reusing the Chicco Keyfit 30 again soon!
  • I bought a $13 49ers onesie yesterday and wanted to immediately return it. I can't imagine what your remorse feels like haha!

I'm a FTM so no experience, but my cousin swears by Britax. I'm super frugal and all about saving money, so I say return it and use the extra as savings or something else you need!
  • I haven't seen or tried any of the products you mentioned so can't give a direct opinion, but now that you have both at hand take the opportunity to critically evaluate them for functionality, build and ease of use... If you find yourself equally happy with both, return the more expensive pieces... But if you do end up thinking the more expensive one is superior, and you didn't go out of your means to afford it, keep it - I'm all about price per use, and these items will be used A LOT.
  • lol I feel like a big cheap ass because I paid only $125 for my travel system which I got from Walmart :P
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loved my chicco but would not have spent the difference bw the two! I'd stick with the britax.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • rebelone said:

lol I feel like a big cheap ass because I paid only $125 for my travel system which I got from Walmart :P

The one I have picked out is around $175...
  • @thaisac1 that's how I rationalize purchases too, cost over time. It wasn't over our means to purchase, but there are other places I could shuffle that expense that make more sense practically speaking.

I really loved the Chicco seat the first time around, and the Britax seat looks really narrow. I'm considering keeping the Chicco car seat (which was around 200$), returning the stroller (around 380$), and returning the Britax system too. Then taking my time to look into other stroller options. DS hated them and while I know every baby is different, I hate the idea of sinking that much money into something that may not get a lot of use. I saw that the Liteway Plus accepts car seats now so I may go that route. Had a Liteway first time and really liked it. Decisions are hard!
  • I'd keep the britax. Two of my neighbors have the b-agile and I love it. I've never heard of the chicco urban but it gets pretty bad reviews online. For that price it better be flipping amazing
  • edited December 2015
    I loved my keyfit and DD used it until she was just over a year old... I am having a hard time imagining a 6 month old outgrowing it, @JadaBlue your LO must have been crazy long!

That said, I would definitely return the more expensive system as I know people who SWEAR by their Britax stuff too.

Actually, I would do what you're thinking and get a lightweight stroller rather than a travel system. I have a frame stroller, big stroller, and lightweight, and the lightweight has been the most valuable.
    kids with flags
  • cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited December 2015

rebelone said:

lol I feel like a big cheap ass because I paid only $125 for my travel system which I got from Walmart :P

The one I have picked out is around $175...
    I'm usually fairly frugal so I think I surprised myself by jumping on something that pricy too. You're talking to the girl who chose a crib on sale for 99$ and prefers buying old furniture to refurbish over buying it new. :#
  • fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited December 2015
    As long as they are both rated well, save the cash and return the more expensive one!  Before you purchased, did you consider the idea that you might receive one as a shower gift?
  • @DougalMcG reviews online were definitely all over the place, I really liked it in store. Paying over 200$ for a stroller is difficult for me to justify, honestly. That one is usually sold at $399 pre tax.

@JadaBlue that surprises me too - DS was always high on the height/weight curve and he was in his until probably 11 mo when I (regrettably) decided to forward face him in a convertible. You must have a lanky leggy little lady (holy tongue twister batman!)

@brenlo42 I had a Cortina travel system with DS and rarely ever used that bulky stroller. We had a Liteway that I really liked for the times he would actually use it. Now that the new ones can be used with the Keyfits, I think that's going to be my route. I'm not crazy about the 3 wheeler stroller on the B-Agile, I wish it was the 4.
  • cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited December 2015
    Thank you ALL for your input, by the way - needed other mom rationale desperately. That savings will be well used elsewhere. ;)

Even the second time around, this stuff is difficult!