June 2016 Moms

14 weeks....too early??

Here's the elective U/S we got at a 3D place at 14 weeks exactly. She said girl, but we never saw the 3 lines. It was 2 days before Christmas and it was slammed....do u think the tech just rushed? I have felt BOY my whole pregnant and my regular baby doc said if I was told a girl to just wait and see because it could be wrong. What do u think??

Re: 14 weeks....too early??

Here's the elective U/S we got at a 3D place at 14 weeks exactly. She said girl, but we never saw the 3 lines. It was 2 days before Christmas and it was slammed....do u think the tech just rushed? I have felt BOY my whole pregnant and my regular baby doc said if I was told a girl to just wait and see because it could be wrong. What do u think??

QFP.

Sorry but I don't even know what I'm looking at. My guess is the tech was right, but if you don't believe her I would wait for your next ultrasound.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • VikingGirl12VikingGirl12 member
    edited December 2015
    It's only going to be a few more weeks until your anatomy scan. You're probably going to get the most accurate answers then. The tech knows a lot more than we do.
    ETA- your dr is right. Listen to her, always.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • goldie987goldie987 member
    edited December 2015
    Trust the medical professional (especially since you presumably paid them out of pocket for the scan), not random internet strangers. It is possible that you'll find out they were wrong at the anatomy scan but if you went to a place for an elective gender scan, they're likely quite good at what they do.
  • We had an elective ultrasound done at 14 weeks as well. Hubby wasn't going to be able to be at the 20 week ultrasound.. So we really went into it thinking that this would just be nice to be able to see the baby once together for Christmas etc and didn't plan on finding out the sex definitively. The ultrasound tech was the same woman as the one that works for my OB and knew us, she ended up literally saying "I'm 101% sure it's a girl" before we even had a chance to ask. Long story short... Here are our 14 week u/s pics for comparison. That being said, I know it's hard being patient ... I'm no less guilty than you! Lol but I'd definitely trust your OB and maybe hold off announcing until you're 18/20 week scan. :)

DH - 24; Me: 26
    Married 3/7/15
    Expecting Baby #1: 06/06/2016
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Trust the professionals.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • The tech is much more qualified than you or I to give their professional opinion on your scan. To me if it helps (which is pointless), I think she looks like a girl. My concern is if you keep questioning the tech and convincing yourself it is a boy , you might set yourself up for disappointment in what will be your beautiful baby girl later down the line. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We also had our elective scan 2 days before Christmas and opened a box with a doll and the u/s on Christmas Day. Ours says girl and it looks exactly like yours, with one bright line there, not the 3 lines you typically hear talked about.

I didn't ask the tech how sure she was but she spent awhile trying to get it cause baby's legs were crossed and finally said "got it'", but I will say, we had elective scans with our boys at 16 wks and 14 wks and with both, it's pretty apparent there was a penis. In yours, just like ours this time, it's pretty clear that there is nothing sticking out from the legs. I would say trust the tech, they see these every single day. Hope that helps some.
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • Had a friend go to an ultrasound place inside a baby store down here in Miami at about 14 weeks too bc she was too excited to wait. They confidently told her it was a girl, she posted on social media, started preparing, etc. Couple weeks later at the Dr's office, the ultrasound revealed it was a boy. We were all like "what???!!!" when the new announcement came lol
  • Is it bad that I thought I was looking at an arm? That's not a very good picture. Trust the professionals.

• This is our little boy at 14 weeks.  Two feet on either side, his little parts, and the line above it going from foot to foot is his chord, so definitely not a chord confusion.  We also saw it on the 4d, she just din't snap any of those pictures.  By 14 weeks it's usually pretty obvious if it's a good quality scan and the person knows what they're doing
  • With my last I had an elective scan at 14 close to 15 weeks and it was accurate. I even announced because the techs who do these ultrasounds are skilled and trained. Definitely looks like girl to me as well. :)
  • I will add I even wanted to say what I seen sticking out was boy, but she reassured me it was her clitoris that was swollen. She was right and very knowledgeable.
  • Personally, just by looking at that scan I would say it's a girl.  However, I would listen to whatever your tech says.  They know far more than we do.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I think there is a very high chance she is right. But don't "set your heart on it" until the next ultrasound. (My tech had told me a confident "boy" at my 12 week scan, and was correct.) However, it certainly seems more common to be told "girl," only to have that change to "boy" later.
  • BoonhildeBoonhilde member
    edited January 2016
    If she said it's a girl I'd believe that over my feelings. I generally feel like I'm having a girl and they've all been boys so far.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• My boy stuck out a lot more than that at 14 weeks!