Infertility

Any advice for stimulation period before egg retrieval ?

Hi ladies ! I am starting my ivf cycle this month . I start my meds tomorrow and am having my egg retrieval tentatively on January 8. We are planning for a frozen transfer in March . I was just wondering if anyone has advice for the days leading up to the retrieval while doing all the meds ? Should I exercise ? Should I avoid alcohol ? Avoid people (haha !) My doc is very lax and says I should be able to do anything I normally would but I'm just curious what yalls experience has been ? I am doing acupuncture to keep my anxiety down but I'm just still freaking out !!!

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
DH: 29
Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
DH: No issues.
Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
October 2015: IUI: BFN
January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !

Re: Any advice for stimulation period before egg retrieval ?

• Hi @mskeenan!  I stayed pretty normal, but the 3-4 days before the retrieval I felt like a turkey I was so bloated and ugh feeling.  You may or may not be able to feel your ovaries swell due to the number of follicles being produced.  I couldn't feel them, but certainly felt like it was heavier down there due to the extra fluid.  All REs are different, but in my IVF paperwork, I'm not allowed any alcohol the month leading up to the retrieval.  They actually said hubby should not either (and he only had two in the month beforehand).  Whatever my RE says, and he has been proven successful, so I didn't question it.  I'm not sure about the exercise, but I'd probably recommend slowing it down a little right before the retrieval.
  • Depending on how well you stimulate, you may not be able to do much exercise beyond walking. I got extremely sick due to overstimulation and had to get meds to stop puking, meds to stop pain, and meds to sleep. Not ideal for sure.

I didn't have alcohol restrictions but also didn't feel like drinking when I was hauling a couple ovaries the size of oranges around.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't experienced this yet (starting in a few days), but I understand that you should be moderate with exercise. Too vigorous a workout, and you might hurt your swollen ovaries. But mild exercise should be good.

I'm avoiding alcohol because it can have a positive impact on success rates, per the book "It Starts With an Egg", which my RE loaned to me. I'm also avoiding caffeine, have been for months.

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• wondering if you found any tricks that helped. Been on meds for 3 days and feeling fine so far. I stopped drinking alcohol and started drinking more water than I normally would to say hydrated. I haven't been able to give up a cup of coffee in the am. Not sure what impacts caffeine has.

--------

Me: 42 | DH: 39 | Us: Married since April 2014 | TCC 20 months before IVF

Me: unexplained infertility (AMA?) | DH: No issues

1st IVF cycle with ICSI & PGS | ER 1/21/16  | FET  4/26/16, ectopic

2nd FET 09/20/16 | DS born May 2017

3rd FET 09/14/20

• My nurse said no alcohol once I started injections. Otherwise, I think everything else was pretty normal. You'll definitely want to make sure you stay hydrated. I've read avocados and other foods w monounsaturated fats are good for your eggs. Odds are an avocado isn't going to make or break your IVF success rates, but why not enjoy some extra guac :). And I agree w what the others say about exercise- probably not something you'll want to do while your ovaries are filled w marbles. Just relax and take care of yourself

@MeID17001 My RE wasn't concerned about me having a cup or two of coffee a day. I think they might have told me to try to limit it once I had the embryo transfer. I think caffeine is only an issue if you're downing tons (like 6+ cups) per day.

And when you do have your transfer, try to just chill and watch some funny movies- there's actually been a study showing laughing afterwards can improve your chances.

Best of luck to you all!!
    ***pregnancy mentioned***

Me: 27/ DH: 29
    Dx:  obstructive azoospermia 
    IVF#1:  October 2015
    10/7/2015:  ER  11 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI
    10/12/2015:  Transferred 5AA and 4AA blasts, froze one 4AA and 4BB
    Beta #1 9dp5dt:  122!!! BFP!
    Singleton, due June 2016