June 2016 Moms

Back sleeper/sleeping issues

I'm 13 weeks, 4 days prego & ever since I became pregnant, I went from being a side sleeper to only being able to sleep on my back. In still pretty small now, so it isn't an issue yet, but I know I'll have to start side sleeping again soon. Any advice?
Also, no matter what time I go to sleep, I seem to wake up at 3AM, even on the rare occasions when I take something for sleep. I also tend to have a hard time falling back to sleep once this happens. Anyone else having this or similar sleep issues?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Back sleeper/sleeping issues

• AshleyBKeenAshleyBKeen member
    edited December 2015
    Different problem, but I'm a chronic stomach sleeper. One of my friends recommended a product called a snoogle, which is basically an enormous pillow that wraps around your entire body. After some research, I ended up getting the "back n body" pillow instead, and it really seems to help. It's basically like sleeping in a giant pillow cocoon that keeps you on your side. It is enormous though, so definitely check with the spouse before drowning him in pillows!

Also, it's 6:30 and I've been up on and off since 4:00. I feel you, sister! *hunger games salute*
  • I actually ordered the snoogle on Christmas, after I saw a post on here about it, wide awake at 3AM! Lol. It's scheduled to arrive Wednesday. If that doesn't work I'll try to back and body pillow.
    It's funny during my first 9 weeks of being pregnant, all I did was sleep. All day, all night. Anytime I didn't have to be anywhere, I slept. I didn't clean or anything.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @mar101483 That basically describes up until a few days ago. First semester was rough. Now I'm up at 6am every day although I wouldn't say that I'm less exhausted. I haven't purchased this yet but probably will soon. I'm sleeping in every position known to man because I've been so restless.
  • I am a back sleeper and I've been trying hard to sleep on my side but I inevitably wake up on my back even if I feel asleep on my side. I think I'm going to need one of those pillows to keep me on my side...

also, I've been waking up A LOT in the middle of the night. Last night I was up from 3-6am... :(
  • I take Unisom at night for nausea but it's actually a sleeping aid.

Maybe that plus a snoogle will help?

Do you have caffeine late in the afternoon at all? If so I would cut that out. Even chocolate has some caffeine it in.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I only have caffine once a day, at 5AM, when I have to get up for work. I may drink a decaf tea here and there. I try not to drink anything after dinner too. I don't eat chocolate at all. Must be my body preparing me to be tired all the time. I'm hoping for some relief and sleep during the 2nd trimester. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to be at work by 6AM and be there until almost 5!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Oh and right now, when I do try to sleep on my side it increases my need to pee! I keep telling myself "just 6 more months!"
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I could have written this! I always slept on my stomach but now I can only sleep on my back. I fall asleep on my side but inevitably wind up on my back. I read that sleeping ok your back is ok if you are not flat so I have been putting extra pillows to prop me up. I'm going to check with my OB on Wednesday. I bought a Snoogle thinking it would help me stay on my side but nope!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sounds like we are sleep twins! I have a body pillow that helps somewhat keep me on my side. But, with my last two pregnancies, I found when I got further along, my back got less comfortable and I transitioned back to my side pretty easily.
  • I've always been a back sleeper. The snoogle has been my godsend. I've been at my parents the last week and haven't had it and I kept waking up on my back and waking up in the morning with super sore neck and back. I want to get home to it lol. I also wake up around 3 am and can't get back to sleep. Usually I just look at pinterest on my phone until I get sleepy again, but that part totally sucks
  • My snoogle arrived yesterday (I love Amazon),and it's amazing! The only reason I'm up right now is because my dog woke me up at 3:45 because he was sick and needed the go outside! But I went to sleep at 8PMish, after working a 12, hour day,on my feet and slept like a baby...on my side! I slept with the big part of the snoogle to my back
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I didn't like the Snoogle during my last pregnancy, but I'll probably look into other pregnancy body pillows as I get bigger.

I've been getting up to pee around 3 or 4am or getting up to soothe DS and then having a hard time falling asleep again until 5
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You can sleep on your back as long as it's comfortable, even if that's in your third trimester. I slept on my back often during the last little bit of my last pregnancy because it was the only way my back didn't hurt.