December 2015 Moms
Options

camping mama's

So here's a weird question. My hubby and I are big campers. He desperately wants to go soon (I said he could go once baby is here alone). We generally back pack (hike in) but will of course have to adjust to having a baby, so car camping for us! .

My question is, anyone who camps, who young did you bring your LO's camping? I know my cousin brought hers at 9 months and my sister in law did around the same time! I know hubby will want to as soon as possible.

Re: camping mama's

• Options
    We camp. Not as often as we use to but I've brought my babies at 3-4 months before. If they breast feed they are very portable. Plus I co sleep so the sleeping arrangements weren't a challenge either. Do what you feel comfortable with.
  • Options
    My first daughter was 6 months when we went camping the first time. We stuck to a camp ground that was closer to home just in case we needed to leave. It worked out really well and she loved it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH and I love to fish and were planning on taking DD when she's around 6 months. I'm not sure I'd want to camp with her just because it gets SO cold in the mountains. Are you talking tent camping or like camper camping?
  • Options
    ammnam14 said:

DH and I love to fish and were planning on taking DD when she's around 6 months. I'm not sure I'd want to camp with her just because it gets SO cold in the mountains. Are you talking tent camping or like camper camping?

It would be tent camping. We only have tiny lightweight tents right now, but we are looking into one that's much bigger, so I can use my good air mattress. I've also being looking into a portable bassinet type thing. My LO isn't here yet, so I know there would be a lot of unknown now, but it's nice to see you ladies like to get out
    As well. We are living in Georgia right now, and April would actually be perfect for camping. We will probably also stay fairly close to home just in case.

Thanks for all your help!!
  • Options
    So I'm a huge camper. Hubby isn't but friends of mine are and we've considered going and bringing our kids. I figured, being a survivalist-style camper, I'd know immediately how to care for my newborn in the wild but what keeps coming to my brain is that it is not especially safe, knowing what i know about the wild. 

Don't get me wrong, if you're an experienced camper or are staying somewhere very safe, it's likely just fine. I'd suggest staying somewhere with at least a few basic amenities and staff on hand somewhere nearby in case something goes wrong. Like take a few steps back from the edge of your comfort zone in case you need the extra amenities. 

I'm not a cosleeper. Olive sleeps in a bassinet next to my bed but she doesn't go into the bed with us unless we are awake. So I'd personally not camp with her yet unless we get one of those legless "in bed with you" bassinets (I don't know what they're called but i want to get one) If you're comfortable co sleeping with baby in bed with you, chances are you know what you're doing and that would make the experience a lot easier. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't put a baby in bed on an air mattress. They often deflate a little and get squishy overnight and that can be risky.
  • Options
    taysun said:

I wouldn't put a baby in bed on an air mattress. They often deflate a little and get squishy overnight and that can be risky.

We don't plan on bed sharing as of right now, so I wouldn't have him in there with us.

We aren't equipped for camping with a baby yet, as our tent is tiny, so we will have to start looking into that. We would probably start small, with just a one night trip to a camp ground not far from home. It will all depend on what kind of baby we have. If he's super fussy, and up most of the night then I might have to reevaluate the situation. It's a play it by ear sort of thing.
  • Options
    Lurker from J16. I highly recommend buying Hiking and Backpacking with Kids by Backpacker Magazine (I got my copy from Amazon for cheap). It's a small paperback book (perfect for backpacking!) that has TONS of tips from dressing baby to how to sleep and everything in between. It's good for infants through the toddler years so you'll definitely get your use out of the book. Happy trails, momma!
  • Options
    012016 said:

Lurker from J16. I highly recommend buying Hiking and Backpacking with Kids by Backpacker Magazine (I got my copy from Amazon for cheap). It's a small paperback book (perfect for backpacking!) that has TONS of tips from dressing baby to how to sleep and everything in between. It's good for infants through the toddler years so you'll definitely get your use out of the book. Happy trails, momma!

Awesome thanks!!! My hubby loves a good book! We will def. Get this one!
  • Options
    Another lurker from J16 here - we love camping, our wedding registry was at REI! Anyways, I received the Graco Travel Lite crib (with three stages) and it's perfect for tent/car camping. About 24" x 36" and very easy to disassemble/reassemble, comes with a small carrying duffel - if you get a good size 4 person tent it should fit very comfortably. I'm a FTM (due any day, but technically 1/15) and have been pondering when camping would be OK here in Southern Cal and it's not so much age that I'm worried about but more the weather/temperatures. I'd say as long as you can keep the temperature around 65 degrees in the tent at night you should be good to go. Which in January might be a bit tough. Have fun!
  • Options
    Be careful not to co-sleep with baby near the tent fabric, as it isn't breathable..... I have three boys under 3.5 and can't with to take them backpacking.... my plan is to start once the older two are both out of diapers, simply because I don't want to have to pack all that in and out.
    "There is more to us than we know. Perhaps, if we are made to see it just once, for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker