June 2016 Moms
Options

Weight gain - worried it's too much

I'm 17 weeks and have gained about ten pounds. (Originally 5'6 130.. Which was a little high for me due to if stress weight gain)
All the "online trackers" say I should have only gained about two-five by now.

Feeling like a whale and concerned I'm blowing this baby weight gain out of the water. My OB friend guessed I was 24 weeks along!

Still in regular clothes as my jeans and dresses all have a bit of stretch to them but will need to switch soon. Mostly because my thighs are humongous.

Cried yesterday because my favorite shirt tore at the seam from the strain from my growing boobs!

I know I'm overreacting. Just worried!

Re: Weight gain - worried it's too much

• Options
    Unless YOUR OB is worried about it, it probably isn't an issue. Now if you've been eating potato chips and ice cream for three meals a day that's a different story. But, 10 lbs doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I read you should gain 0-5 first trimester, and a pound per week after that. It sounds like you're right on track to me. Like @likeabel said, as long as your OB tells you everything is looking good, don't worry about it. I think you're being super hard on yourself. You're growing a human, and I'm sure taking care of yourself. That's all that matters.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    dennyandleedennyandlee member
    edited December 2015
    I'm 16 weeks and have gained 8 pounds total. I was concerned too, but my OB said I was on track as long as I wasn't making bad food choices all the time. I am going to start walking again though to make sure I keep it in check.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am 14+1 and I've gained 10.  I'm kind of freaking out but the doc told me not to worry but start making better food choice this tri. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    EDD: 06/25/2006  M/C: 11/03/2005
    EDD: 04/08/2012  M/C: 09/03/2011
    EDD: 12/27/2012  Born Sleeping: 07/19/2012
    EDD: 12/07/2013  M/C 05/30/2013 & 05/31/2013
    EDD:  07/01/2016 Born sleeping: 03/02/2016

• Options
    For all you know some of this is water retention or any other reason. I gained 2lbs this week but I have enjoyed the festive run up a little too much. lol. 
    I know with my first pregnancy I gained 8 lbs all of a sudden in the 4th month.. I was shocked but my OB said that often you get the weight gain in spurts so as long as you are in the general range I think you are fine. I still rounded it out within the guidelines.
    I am trying not to obsess about any gains I am making (which I find hard) but if your OB is happy with you, remember they are the ones in the know and would advise you if you were outside the recommended levels.  

• Options
    mamabuddmamabudd member
    edited December 2015
    I carried two babies to term before and in my own experiences, I gain a lot of weight during the first and second trimester and then barely anything in the last. It's weird and frustrating (especially while waiting for the bump to actually pop out), but my midwives were never concerned. Don't worry about it. It's such a North American thing to regularly weigh all pregnant women, and it's kinda silly.
  • Options
    With my first, I gained nearly 40 lbs... and I LOST weight in the last two weeks of my pregnancy. Everyone is different! Eat as healthy as you can, and don't stress over it unless your OB gets concerned. You're growing a human!
  • Options
    My online tracker kept telling me I was under weight and I'm shorter and weigh more than you. I wasn't gaining any weight at all,then gained 8lbs in 3 days. I'm only a little over 13 weeks.
    I wouldn't worry too much, 10lbs isn't terrible. I started increasing my water and now that my enegery returned I'm working out (walking, hiking) again, so I think it'll help stablize my weight. Try to decrease sugar and salt for a week, then weigh yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I've been obsessed with weight this year, I went from a size 12/M-L to a 4/XS over the summer and bam, got pregnant (which I'm thrilled about), but I'm so afraid of gaining my weight back! The cravings for sweets isn't helping
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Like PP said, unless your OB is worried I think you're okay.

Keep trying to make good choices and take advantage of the not cold yet December (if you're on east coast) and walk outside.

I'm actually worried about exactly the opposite- I'm 15w1d and I keep losing weight due to nausea, vomiting and food aversions. But my doctor hasn't said anything and baby is growing so I am trying not to worry.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Maybe this is a period for rapid weight gain. I gained like 2-3 pound my first trimester and about 7 pounds in the last two weeks. The holidays aren't helping but I weighed this morning and freaked out. I'm just focusing on healthy eating now that Christmas is over who know we may not gain a pound the next couple weeks then it will all even out I hope.
  • Options
    This is why I'm glad my scale is broken. I was obsessed with my weight gain for a while but then the scale ran out of batteries so  I just decided not to replace them. I only get weighed once a month at my OB appointments. 
    January Siggy Challenge: Why I don't shop at Walmart 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I'm 17 weeks but had already gained 15 pounds by the end of the first trimester..(50 overall, originally 155 lb & 5'9") The same thing happened with my first & I had a goal to eat less this time around, but unlike others who don't feel good when they eat, I only felt better if I snacked almost constantly. I eat pretty healthy so I'm not going to worry. I lost all the weight last time so I'm not too worried about that & figure everyone is different.. But what's frustrating is all my sister-in-laws tend to gain a total of 5-15 lb throughout their pregnancies so I feel like a giant!
  • Options
    I'm right at 15weeks today and I've gained a total of 16 lbs, 13 of which was all gained by the end of the 1st trimester. My OB was a little surprised but she said everything was progressing fine and the big thing to look out for is not necessarily all the snacks, but the beverages. There is so much sugar in juices and pop, etc, that it can be very easy to consume a bunch of calories thru your drinks even when you're not eating like crazy. I was sick thru the entire first 11 weeks so I drank a lot of ginger ale to get me thru the mornings and I'm sure that's where some of the weight gain came from. Now that I'm feeling better, all I want is skim milk and my weight gain has leveled out it seems. I've always struggled with weight so being pregnant makes me extra nervous now that it's not just me who can be affected, but I also feel like stressing and worrying isn't good either. Some women gain more weight than others, and at different times during the pregnancies and I'm trying very hard to remember that.
  • Options
    I too gained more than 10 pounds, I think almost 15 by now. [Currently 17 weeks] Though i am taller and most people dont even see the weight gain elsewhere besides my belly, and im sure my boobs! My midwife doesnt seem at all concerned. I havent eaten great, but i havent eaten horrible either. I have always very very easily gained weight and lost weight. I could gain and lose 10 pounds over the course of a month normally, so im trying not to be too concerned myself. Especially since i agree that it deosnt really look like ive gained as much as the scale says.
  • Options
    I was worried because I had lost weight and was projected to gain. Totally freaked out, talked to OB and she just said that it's a 25-30lb gain overall, not necessarily 2lbs per week. Hope this helps you! You can always talk to your OB too, they're the experts!
  • Options
    I'm the same height as you and already outweighed you by 30 pounds (which was still right at the very high end of "normal"), so it sounds like you were quite thin. As others said, your weight gain sounds on track and the fact you can still fit into your clothes says a lot. I can't. Even busting out of the next cup size up. We're all different. Just keep eating well and exercise IF you have the energy. My routine has been shot to H with being so tired.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I feel just the opposite of you all.  I will be 15 weeks Friday and have lost over 10 pounds.  I had no morning sickness or very many food aversions.  My OB said not to worry because it is how my body handles a baby.  With my first I only gained 15 the whole pregnancy, but I was younger and very active (like ran 2-3 miles a day + other exercise classes).  I'm happy I am loosing weight, but I worry because I eat like a pig and do not gain (again OB said not to worry unless I loose excessive amounts of weight from here on out).   

Everyone's body reacts differently to things like this.  I think you will be fine like the pps have said as long as you just try to keep your activity up.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Me:23  DH:26
    Married: 6/7/14
    DS: 3/19/12
    Baby #2: June 2016
  • Options
    I gained 46 lbs with my first. I was 5'6 and 125 lbs. OB never said anything about my weight and every time I went in they made me face away from the scale so I couldn't see what I weighed. I once asked them about gaining so much and they said if they were concerned then they'd tell me but I was doing just fine. I think I was only supposed to gain 35 or something like that.

Like PPs have said, OB will tell you if it's too much. Try to keep healthy snacks around but don't worry if you have some ice cream occasionally as well.
    Married: 08/04/13
    DS: 11/25/14
    DD: 06/25/16
    EDD: 12/05/18

• Options
    I've gained about 15. I was 130 before and now I'm about 145. I gained 75 with my son and lost it all. I'm not worried, nor is my doctor

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    I gained a good 50 lbs with my first. So far this pregnancy I haven't gained anything at 16 weeks, but I've been working really hard at it. Not to say I don't cave now and then, but I'm not craving junk food. A lot of protein and healthy carbs, and I started this pregnancy heavier than I ended my last pregnancy at (very tough 2015). 

Every woman/pregnancy is different. If you weren't that heavy to start with (and it doesn't sound like it) I wouldn't fret it. 
  • Options
    I gained about 80lbs with my first and my doctor only started to get a little concerned towards the end. I'm 16+6 right now and have only gained about 7 lbs this time so I'm personally hoping it will be better. I did eventually lose all the weight from last time and actually got pregnant weighing less than I did before I had DD, but it did take over a year to lose. I want to add that I think at least a decent amount of the weight (and the reason it took so long to come off) was that we moved out of state for my husbands new job while I was pregnant and we ended up living in a hotel for 3 months and ate basically every meal out at restaurants during that time--which I really don't recommend.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers