July 2016 Moms
Options

Any Trim Healthy Mamas out there?

My SIL introduced me to the Trim Healthy Mama method a couple years ago, and after having DS, I bought their book and started reading. I started eating according to their plan religiously at the end of this past August, and lost 22 stubborn pounds. I think this weight loss is partially to thank for being able to conceive. I still have about 20 pounds to lose to get to my pre-DS weight, which means I'm starting out this pregnancy overweight and need to make sure I don't gain another 65 pounds with this baby. I've found that eating according to the THM plan is in line with the high-protein diet my OB recommends. I won't be restricting calories as I know it's not healthy to "diet" while pregnant, but I do plan to continue using their pregnancy-friendly recipes. Just checking to see if anyone else knows of/is cooking with THM and would want to share recipes, etc.! Or, if you don't/aren't but have some healthy recipes that are your favorites or go-to's, please share those! Similar to the exercise check-ins @LindsayLeigh1989 started, I thought this would be a fun way for those of us who are trying to make good food choices (when it sounds appetizing again) to hold one another accountable and/or provide encouragement.

Re: Any Trim Healthy Mamas out there?

• Options
    I'm not but I'd love some good protein recipes anyway. I was put off by thm because of the special ingredients needed. I'm too lazy for that. I've seen a friend have great success on it though.
  • Options
    I haven't even heard of it before, but now I'll look into it. I know I'm supposed to be eating high protein, low carb, but DH calls me the carb queen. I'm having a tough time. So I will be part of this! I wish I didn't take so long to look at this thread.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh I will have to check this out! I've don't the 21 day fix diet but this sounds really appealing! Is it expensive to purchase ?
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I have never heard of Trim Healthy Mamas but DH is a very healthy eater and is also the cook in the house, so by extension I eat (mostly) clean with him. I'm struggling right now because carbs help settle my stomach, but have big plans to change that in second trimester when/if I start feeling better. Talking to others going through similar things helps me feel more motivated so as long as I don't have to follow a specific diet I'll join :)
  • Options
    @DobbysSock I just got the fixate cookbook from a friend based off 21 day fix it's pretty good also I've heard whole 30 is another good one. I'm really excited to look into this one though !

• Options
    Here's a link to their original book which explains their plan https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Healthy-Mama-Pearl-Barrett/dp/0988775115/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451319348&sr=8-3&keywords=trim+healthy+mama. The book isn't too expensive, and it's interesting to read the theory behind their method. The main idea, though, is that you have basically two types of meals - Satisfying (S) and Energizing (E). In satisfying meals, which I find the easiest to make, you pair fats with lean protein. In an E meal, you pair carbs with lean protein. You can have both S and E meals, you just separate them by 3 hours. They have lots of great shake/smoothie recipes and tons of great desserts, in addition to great healthy entrees, etc. that you think you should feel guilty eating but don't have to. :)

@m8881 I hear you on the special ingredients - I joined a FB group that actually provides some substitutes that are more common/less expensive to use in their recipes, which has helped!

Even if it's not THM, I'm glad there are some people who want to just talk about what they're eating... what's good... what's not! I need some motivation! MS has almost subsided, so I'm hopeful that by the start of the year, when I hit my second tri, I'll be ready to put on my eating-healthy pants again.
  • Options
    OOH Interesting, I am definitely interesting in looking at meal options. Before getting pregnant I was on the 21 day fix aka just eating clean and healthy. I recently got back into it while pregnant due to me gaining weight way too quickly.

In the last 2 weeks, with working out I lost all of the extra weight I gained except one pound so I am within a healthy range for the first trimester but I am definitely not as bloated.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    chanfa said:

OOH Interesting, I am definitely interesting in looking at meal options. Before getting pregnant I was on the 21 day fix aka just eating clean and healthy. I recently got back into it while pregnant due to me gaining weight way too quickly.

In the last 2 weeks, with working out I lost all of the extra weight I gained except one pound so I am within a healthy range for the first trimester but I am definitely not as bloated.

Want to hold each other accountable to 21? I'm not doing the workouts as I'm using a gym right now but trying to get on the meal plan again !