March 2016 Moms

Holiday Foods

So I'm trapped under a dozing 20 month old.  Indulge me ;)  What holiday foods are you making, planning to make, planning to eat at someone else's house?

My sister is doing appetizers on Christmas Day, and she always goes all out, so I'm really hopeful my OB will either say things are good and I can stop bed rest, or at least get a little clearance to leave the house and switch to her sofa for a bit.  My inlaws are joining us for the holiday, which means MIL is bringing a ham (yum!) and she also makes this rich chocolate brioche French toast... 

Re: Holiday Foods

• I'm making caesar salad.  And by making it I mean I'm getting the bagged one from Costco.  Bam!

Christmas Eve we're going to in-laws and they're doing turkey and ham and cheesy potatoes.  Christmas day is my family and I have no idea what we're doing other than Christmas cookies.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• No idea what anyone else in my family is making, but my job gave all hourly employees a 7.5 lbs ham! So I'll be providing a honey and spice glazed ham.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Loading the player...
  • JLaVO888JLaVO888 member
    edited December 2015
    Christmas eve we always do a seafood feast...crab legs, shrimp cocktail, butterfly shrimp etc. Chistmas day we are having a leg of lamb.

Adding that tonight when my parents get to town they are treating us to Outback steak house. Broccoli has been my only true craving since day one and I've already decided I'm going to order it as BOTH my sides becuase DH is sick if it and banned it from our dinners at home.
  • I'm going to my MILs....she doesn't cook. I mean she does but EVERYTHING comes out of a box. It's a tragedy.
  • Craving broccoli?? Way to have a healthy craving! All I crave is sugar and carbs.

We did Korean food with my DH's family last weekend because he has a bunch of adopted Korean siblings. It was yummier than I expected! 

We'll spend Christmas Eve and Day with my family and we just make a boatload of appetizers to last all weekend. Bacon wrapped weenies, egg rolls, "crack" dip, cheese and crackers, deep fried mushrooms, cheese dip, Chex mix, caramel corn, etc. No vegetables allowed. ;-) And Christmas morning, my mom always makes egg casserole and monkey bread. Mmmmmm. I can't wait!!
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • We celebrate Christmas Eve so my mom prepped tamales (ready to cook tomorrow). I made a crap ton of cookies: Oatmeal w/cranberries and walnuts; plain chocolate chip; Nutella and hazelnut cookies; powdered pecan sandies; peanut butter; Polish kolacky cookies. Here are just some of them cooling.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Next up, I'm making an Oreo crust cheesecake. I usually make marshmallows to drink with hot chocolate on Christmas morning but seeing as how it's kinda warm and rainy, I'm nixing that idea his year. It's not hot chocolate weather.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • @jlavo888  Can I come live at your house?  That sounds amazing!  And DH and I have been craving Outback sooooo badly lately.  We tease each other just talking about their bloomin' onions...
  • @soxfan9968 you're killing me.  I've had a solid craving for oreos the last month or two.  It won out over my chocolate milk craving.  But since I suck at cheesecakes, could I beg your recipe for the oatmeal cranberry cookies??
  • smushi said:
    @soxfan9968 you're killing me.  I've had a solid craving for oreos the last month or two.  It won out over my chocolate milk craving.  But since I suck at cheesecakes, could I beg your recipe for the oatmeal cranberry cookies??
    Guess I shouldn't tell you that I just stocked up on a Costco pack of Oreos, should I?  Like we're talking 10 sleeves.  The primary purpose was for cheesecake but I've got 8 left!
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• @mrspepper05 Oh I love the sugar and carbs too...but I loved those before I was pregnant so I don't really consider it a craving. I went from cooking steamed broccoli about once every three month to cooking it at least once a week. It was also one of the few things that sounded yummy when I had morning sickness. I read somewhere that you crave what your body needs. I'm lactose intolerant and broccoli is high in calcium so maybe that's why????
  • skruhmin said:
    smushi said:
    @soxfan9968 you're killing me.  I've had a solid craving for oreos the last month or two.  It won out over my chocolate milk craving.  But since I suck at cheesecakes, could I beg your recipe for the oatmeal cranberry cookies??
    Guess I shouldn't tell you that I just stocked up on a Costco pack of Oreos, should I?  Like we're talking 10 sleeves.  The primary purpose was for cheesecake but I've got 8 left!
    That sounds glorious!

I've got a new pack in the cabinet (but with DH the hoover around, he can eat an entire sleeve in one sitting...) and at least weekly I get an Oreo McFlurry.   I can say the Oreo company is definitely not hurting this season...
  • I'm working 12hr night shifts Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas- so no amazing holiday food for me. We are having an appetizer potluck at work Christmas night though for me to look forward to. This doesn't stop me from my Christmas baking however. Day 2 of baking for me, when I'm done I'll have: Chex mix, almond bark snack mix, fudge, snowball cookies, peanut butter blossoms, cut-out sugar cookies, and toffee. Yum!

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • @smushi I'll post it as soon as I get a chance.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • smushi said:
    skruhmin said:
    smushi said:
    That sounds glorious!

I've got a new pack in the cabinet (but with DH the hoover around, he can eat an entire sleeve in one sitting...) and at least weekly I get an Oreo McFlurry.   I can say the Oreo company is definitely not hurting this season...
    I kept their peanut butter Oreo department running my entire last pregnancy.  That was THE craving!
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Spiral ham!! It's just DH, DD, and I this year so we will have left over spiral ham for DAYS!! I can't wait! I swear it tastes better cold and on a sandwich the day after! Mashed potatoes, green beans, and rolls too. We always make cookies on Christmas Eve for Santa, so we will have cookies for dessert.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I may have to stop reading this post becuase it's making me want to drive to the store and buy preps RIGHT now!! I have to stay focused on cleaning. Family will be here in 3 hours.
  • My parents were in town this weekend, so we had an early Christmas with them and made roast pork, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and squash.  On actual Christmas it'll just be me and DH so we are going non-traditional and making stir fry.  I might pick up some stuff to make cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning too. Mmmm...
  • @ejverre it's the same way at our house, I like to cube up the ham we don't use, and freeze some and make the rest into a quiche for the next day for breakfast.  Mmmmm.
  • I wasn't going to do a big dinner, but DH invited some friends over, so here's the menu. I'm actually really excited about it now:

Brown sugar ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, vegetables, sweet cornbread muffins, green bean casserole, twice baked mac and cheese, pumpkin pie, banana pudding, and cherry cobbler.

Three of those are being brought by friends and I'm making desserts tomorrow, so it's not as much work as it looks like. I JUST WANT TO EAT IT NOW!
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Christmas eve I make homemade cinnamon rolls to pop into the oven as soon as we get up Christmas morning. They are my husband's favorite part of Christmas.

I'm cooking Christmas dinner this year, so I'm keeping it simple. I got a honey baked ham and am making au gratin potatoes and green beans. We'll have rolls on the side. I'm doing a cheese and sausage platter for appetizers, and my MIL is bringing dessert.

The next day we're going to my Mom's to celebrate her birthday. For that we're making a brisket, carrots, and potatoes. For dessert I'm making her homepage meringues, homemade lemon curd, and homemade creme anglaise with fresh fruit.

Then I'm not cooking for a month, LOL!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I usually make a pot roast for Christmas Day dinner but my kids want a spiral ham and mashed potatoes green beans and yeast rolls this year.

We have lots of appetizers on Christmas Eve and watch a movie while in our Christmas PJs we also make lots of cookies for Santa. I also prep our Christmas Day breakfast on Christmas Eve, my kids don't want to open presents until we have breakfast but we usually have homemade cinnamon rolls, hash browns, sausage patties, eggs, and fresh fruit.

Although I'm craving beef stew, but since Christmas Day it will be 82 degrees outside I'm hoping we get cooler weather for New Years and I can make my beef stew with rolls that day.
  • Christmas eve I make homemade cinnamon rolls to pop into the oven as soon as we get up Christmas morning. They are my husband's favorite part of Christmas.
    Mind sharing the recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls, on the recipe thread??
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • We're doing potluck with our friends group tonight (Happy Festivus!) where we're brining sausage and cheese dip and chocolate truffles I made last night and miraculously haven't eaten. I have no idea what our friends are making but they're all awesome cooks.

Christmas Eve is usually apps but with our toddler we're doing nothing special - pineapple turkey meatballs.

Christmas Day is our food day - speciality giant crossiants for breakfast from my fav local bakery (chocolate, prosciutto and provolone and plain), smoked salmon for lunch for me and Mac and cheese for the boys and then beef tenderloin and Yorkshire puddings for dessert.

Boxing Day is traditional turkey dinner at my MILs.

After reading some of your posts I think I want some ham in there - maybe New Year's Day!
  • I'm interested in your recipe too @cmerribury! My usual go to for cinnamon rolls is Alton Brown's overnight cinnamon rolls. I add caramel dripping and pecans to them and they taste like Cinnabons pecan bun. But I wanna try something different so please share!

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage

Sure thing! They are super simple and always turn out awesome. They are very classic cinnamon rolls (no nuts or dried fruit) but you could jazz them up if you wanted to. I make the night before, then on Christmas morning take them out of the fridge and let them rise on a warm oven for a bit until they double in size. Then bake. Mmmmm. So nums.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Sure thing! They are super simple and always turn out awesome. They are very classic cinnamon rolls (no nuts or dried fruit) but you could jazz them up if you wanted to. I make the night before, then on Christmas morning take them out of the fridge and let them rise on a warm oven for a bit until they double in size. Then bake. Mmmmm. So nums.
    I just tried this one the other day and they were amazing.  https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/1-hour-easy-cinnamon-rolls-recipe/

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I'm making a hot spinach artichoke dip for my extended family's Christmas party. They are more into appetizers than a meal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Cheese and crackers, candied nuts, etc while dinner was prepped and cooked. Started with a walnut, Roquefort, and watercress salad. We got a dry aged country ham, rehydrated, and cooked it with apple juice and honey glaze. Served with apple ketchup. Sides were maple and cayenne glazed tri-color carrots, mushroom risotto, mashed butternut squash/sweet potatoes/parsnips, and my mom's candied sweet potato/yam stuff. Dessert was a chocolate cake with ganache, and raspberry shrub to drink.

My MIL made veggie quiche for breakfast, and chocolate croissant bread pudding for second breakfast (we are hobbits).

May have gained five pounds yesterday.