Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby walkers

So I recently read something on line that says that baby walkers are actually not good for babies! I'm a first time mom... Since I can remember everyone I know has use a baby walker. We just got one for our son and he loves it! We read the article on line after we purchased the walker. What should I do?

Answers

• I was gifted one at my baby shower. I had read some negative things about them but I still use it. As long as you don't keep baby in it for long periods of time, he should be fine...The things I've read are that it can be damaging to their hips but that's with prolonged use. I've also read that they can be dangerous. We live on one level so stairs aren't an issue, and we never leave him in it unattended. Just go with your gut.
  • It's bad for hips and doesn't really help babies walk. Like the PP said, don't leave your baby in it all day. I'd say maybe only 30 mins max.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not only are they bad for baby's hips, they're also dangerous. Unlike baby bouncers/jumpers/exersaucers, which are equally bad for baby's physical development, using a walker a baby can walk into dangerous situations like down stairs. Personally I wouldn't use it, but you should be fine using it for short periods of time IF you closely supervise your baby. Just use it for a limited time when you're able to keep a close eye on baby
  • Definitely NOT recommended.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Yeah, I think they actually delay babies walking on their own. They are not even legal to sell in some countries. I just wouldn't use it, tbh. (Nor would I make a big deal about it to the one who bought it, just not mention it.)

Honestly, I wanted to keep my baby immobile as long as possible. He's more trouble now that he can crawl, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was gifted one at my baby shower. I had read some negative things about them but I still use it. As long as you don't keep baby in it for long periods of time, he should be fine...The things I've read are that it can be damaging to their hips but that's with prolonged use. I've also read that they can be dangerous. We live on one level so stairs aren't an issue, and we never leave him in it unattended. Just go with your gut.

This.  Our main floor doesn't have any stairs (so falling down stairs would be impossible), and we never leave LO in it for more than 15 minutes or unattended.  Basically, now that it's cold outside in the morning, we stick her in the walker when we used to take her on her morning walk, because she's looking for an activity other than her playmat.  She also has a Jumperoo and rarely will use it for more than 15 minutes at a time, once a day.  Everything in moderation.

I understand that walkers can be dangerous because of falling down stairs...but i find it so odd that countries have banned them because of this.  Use common sense, don't put a kid in a walker where it's even a possibility that he will fall down a stair, and you're fine.  I understand the hip issue possbility, but that is also present with exersaucers, jumpers, bumbo seats...and those things aren't banned.  it's just weird to me.

• @everythingsbetteroutside I am just coming across this post and wanted to see what bouncer/ jumper are you are using for your little one?
  • @littlelazaro I don't have a baby of my own yet. I work with families who have infants and toddlers and have worked with many physical therapists who warn families not to use them. I've been told of the dangers and lack of benefits often enough that I'd rather find a different solution. But I do understand reasons why families use them and think that it can be okay in moderation (but still not beneficial to baby). Here's a physical therapist's article that explains it: https://www.pinkoatmeal.com/jumpers-bad-babies-understanding-physical-therapist-may-answer-yes/
  • We just had 6mo visit with the pedi and her recommendation was no walkers on wheels. Stationary walker is ok for short periods of time, will not help baby stand up or walk on his own. We have the baby Einstein and at my parents house he has fisher price rainforest friends. He has a lot of fun in them but also gets bored soon so I mostly keep him on the floor and rotate toys.