Pregnant after a Loss

Pregnant after loss

On July 27, 2015 at 24 weeks pregnant I went into labor and delivered my baby boy who was unfortunately a stillborn. Now I found out I'm pregnant again six weeks pregnant. And I'm so excited but also scared and honestly I don't want to get excited because of what happened before. Has any mother experienced stillbirths and are pregnant again ? How did you cope with everything ?

Re: Pregnant after loss

• So sorry for your loss. My experience wasn't a still birth so I can't speak to that specifically, but I'm sure everyone here can relate to the anxiety you are feeling. I'm only a little over 4 weeks and am right there with you balancing tempered excitement with fear.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a MMC and a chemical pregnancy, but I can't imagine what you've gone through. There's a woman from TTCAL that is now on my July bmb that had a similar experience, but I don't think she comes on this board.

Like @crob5685 said, we all know the anxiety you're feeling. Hopefully as you have successful ultrasounds, you'll start to feel better. For some reason, after I had really high hcg and an u/s at only 5w2d I started to get a good feeling about this pregnancy, even though I lost my first one later than that. I would say don't fight the excitement. You deserve to enjoy this new baby. It's okay to feel scared, too. Just don't miss out on the good feelings.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry that happened to you, I can't even imagine. I have read similar stories on this board, so may be do a keyword search if no one replies? Wishing you and your little one a full term, healthy pregnancy.
  • Hi there ! My daughter Lillian was stillborn this past May at 28 weeks. So I understand very much what you are going through. I am now almost 20 weeks pregnant with baby number two and so far so good.
    Do you know what went wrong with your first baby? My DH and I went ahead with an autopsy and they found nothing, which is relieving but also upsetting to say we don't know if it will happen again..
    But I'm high risk because of what happened before and I'm getting lots of ultrasounds.
    This pregnancy WILL be stressful , and some days I do great and am so thankful for this new baby, and other times I feel horrible and have a hard time getting past the fact that this baby isn't my daughter... But try and stay positive. My only advice is Talk about how you feel emotionally with as many close friends/family as you can, because I feel a lot of people forget what I've just been through and aren't very sympathetic when I'm having a bad day.
  • They told me it was a placenta abruption. I didn't get an autopsy done just because the doctors kept telling me it was my placenta that had removed itself. I'm about to start going to a doctor soon hopefully hearing this heartbeat will calm me down.
  • spatter1spatter1 member
    edited December 2015
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I haven't experienced what you have but like others lost my first baby in the first trimester. I don't think the fear will go away with this pregnancy until she is in my arms... I totally agree with what @kwrightnb said about talking about your feelings as much as you're comfortable. My mom has been very sensitive, but others in the family (especially in laws and even DH sometimes) seem to forget what we went through before this pregnancy and don't fully understand how traumatic it was.

Congratulations and best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

Edited for spelling mistakes!