2nd Trimester

Moms of Irish twins

I just had my son 6 months ago and I am currently 5 months pregnant, any moms of Irish twins? I'm concerned for this baby and the effects it's been having on my son, and also is it safe to lay my son on my chest and tummy, that's the only way to get him to sleep most times.

Re: Moms of Irish twins

• MIL had DH and his brother as Irish twins, they are 11 months apart. Obviously I wasn't around for their infancy but as adults they are both happy and healthy. MIL has never made any sort of comments that they had any problems when they were babies or that pregnancy seemed to interfere with DHs development (he's the older one). She does recall pregnancy in general being miserable- and I can relate to that!

I hope that a current Irish twin mom shows up to give you some more advice, but don't worry!

Also I'm sure it's fine for your son to lay on your chest and belly- if it's not hurting you it wouldn't be hurting baby #2.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Loading the player...
  • No advice about Irish twins, but I have 3 small dogs that lay on my chest and belly everyday and I haven't had a problem yet. I'm 31 weeks and everything is healthy and baby is active as ever. He kicks more when a dog is cuddling next to me or on top of me so I just tell myself he already loves his fur-siblings!
  • 28 weeks here and my 28lb son and 37lb son both snuggle on top of my belly and no issues.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Is that term not offensive? I thought that's why you didn't hear it so much these days....

I've never heard of this being offensive. Is there a reason?
  • Is that term not offensive? I thought that's why you didn't hear it so much these days....

I've never heard this expression so I just looked up what it meant. The Internet says it can be deemed offensive as it was originally
    used (in the nineteenth century) to mock the fertility of Irish families, referencing the stereotype that they do not use birth control and thus have children in quicker succession.
    I'm at least part irish and don't have an issue with it but I'm just one person.  I think most of the reason you don't hear it as much is because it just doesn't happen as frequently today as it used to. 
  • I myself am an Irish twin(I had to look this up!) I can't say whether or not the situation will be different but my brother and I grew up very close, we DID fight a lot, especially as teenagers but we are pretty close now and get along great. I am the older of us two. 

I think almost every term can be seen as offensive if you look hard enough. I don't think you hear it much anymore because it is less common to have two babies in one year

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 3 younger sisters and I are all 10-12 months apart. We all turned out just fine. Our mom had her hands full. It was awesome growing up so close in age. Not one of us had an issue with attention or anything of that nature. It's more so about how you parent them. Since they'll be close in age doing everything as a family, but at the same time give each one equal alone time with you. I'm not a professional on parenting advice but thats how my mom did it with us and worked great for her. I don't think this will have any effects on your son just make him excited about being a big brother and involve him in all the care taking possible once the new one arrives! I know we would lay all over my moms bumps from seeing pictures of us doing so and it caused no damage. I know I want a set of "irish twins" I couldn't imagine my childern growing up any other way.
  • My brother and I are 12 months apart and really close. I don't remember a time where he wasn't around or we didn't have each other. My mom says the 1st 2 years were toughest but then we literally entertained each other and it was actually easier.

As for the belly Ds climbs all over me and lies on my belly all the time. He is 28 lbs.
  • Not technically born within 12m of each other, but close – my first two are 13.5m apart. I wish all my kids were spaced thusly; it was definitely an adventure, but continues to be a wonderful one! They are 5.5y and 4.5y now and are awesome playmates!
    And yeah, it is kind of an offensive term, but now you know :)

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama!