April 2016 Moms
Options

Kim Kardashian's amazing placenta

Everything this woman does has a price tag on it. She was caught advertising for Diclegis on Instagram and subsequently found to be paid to talk about the drug. Now this...
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/kim-kardashians-amazing-placenta

Gag!!!! "Amazing placenta"!!!

This looks straight out of Pinterest. Just can't be taken seriously! She's obviously being paid to talk about it positively.

Re: Kim Kardashian's amazing placenta

• Options
    Advertising for Diclegis?? Wow.

I have acquaintances who have done placenta encapsulation. From what I've read, there's little research that supports it having a positive impact, just anecdotal evidence like what Kim quoted in that article. I guess it's one of those things where, if you want to do, it's unlikely to cause harm (assuming the person doing the encapsulation follows safe practices). But I don't really get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AEG84 said:

I have acquaintances who have done placenta encapsulation. From what I've read, there's little research that supports it having a positive impact, just anecdotal evidence like what Kim quoted in that article. I guess it's one of those things where, if you want to do, it's unlikely to cause harm (assuming the person doing the encapsulation follows safe practices). But I don't really get it.

It's a money making business, it's what it is!
  • Options
    I'm sorry but consuming your own placenta is to me self cannibalism and very absurd. Is there no end to the madness with this family?

• Options
    Oh barf. This family really needs to go away. I had a hard time looking at my placenta...you couldn't pay me enough to eat it, pills or not.
  • Options
    I am all for natural, what our bodies are intended to do, and you know, learning from what our ancestors did....I just don't think first off any human ever instinctively did that, and I don't actually think it was meant to be consumed by us, although I am sure it isn't harmful. I just think it might be a bit trendy at this point and the benefits might be hyped a bit.

The endorsing diclegis and getting payed for it...honestly no. There's enough money in pharmaceuticals and doctors pushing it to begin with. again I don't think it's harmful...just think "celebrities" endorsing medication is backwards.
  • Options
    I have a picture of my OB holding up my placenta after giving birth to DS. It's one of my favorites because he looks so crazy. I haven't consumed my placenta, but my doula's daughters have and rave about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I assumed you were just (successfully) click-baiting me into this thread with that title and then it would be about something else. Nope... actual title of the article. What has happened to the English language? Not to mention society as a whole. Sigh. 

Also, this is a pretty great article on the ridiculousness of things like Rx ads both on TV and via KK's instagram: https://www.upworthy.com/kim-kardashian-got-in-big-trouble-with-the-fda-for-false-advertising-and-its-a-huge-deal 
    Anniversary 
  • Options

Kim Kardashian is doing something for money?? To each their own on eating their placenta...but does anyone really expect anything more from this family.

• Options
    My friend and I were just talking about this. John and Yoko apparently ate her placenta back in the day but like ate it ate it. The pills are interesting to me. If they really do help women with postpartum depression then that is amazing. 

KK is so ridiculous and that jar. I must get one.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @AEG84 that placenta soap dish though.. :tongue:
  • Options
    @cmjenkies - for the mom who has everything! ;)
  • Options
    I won't side eye someone for encapsulating or even making a tree print thing, but the beads??! Nope nope nope
  • Options
    @AEG84 OMG Placenta Smoothie!?!?!?

• Options
    thaisac1 said:

Really though, is there any other way? I mean, it may be slightly lacking it's original fiber but the nutritional value would still basically be intact.

Bottoms up!
  • Options

Really though, is there any other way? I mean, it may be slightly lacking it's original fiber but the nutritional value would still basically be intact. Bottoms up!
    I haven't vomited this entire pregnancy, but the thought of a placenta smoothie may do it!
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

thaisac1 said:

Really though, is there any other way? I mean, it may be slightly lacking it's original fiber but the nutritional value would still basically be intact.

Bottoms up!

I haven't vomited this entire pregnancy, but the thought of a placenta smoothie may do it!

You're overdue, then. Think of all the flavor combination possibilities!
  • Options
    AEG84 said:

I was considering encapsulation since every other mammal eats it for the most part, so why not? But it's expensive, and I don't really care enough about it to be bothered. Those beads or en flique though! (Forgot who I stold that from on this board, wish I could give you proper credit)
  • Options
    @allaire314 I almost used that one! Too perfect
  • Options
    My thinking is that if something comes out of your body, it is supposed to come out and not go back in. I don't think there is anything my body expels that should be consumed.