July 2016 Moms
Options

(Irrational) Ultrasound Jitters

Today I am 11 weeks, and tomorrow I have my 3rd ultrasound (one at 6wks, one at 9wks, and now 11wks). I completely realize how lucky I am to have 3 ultrasounds at this point, as I've read many of you have to wait until 12 weeks or longer. You would think that with each ultrasound I would get less anxious and more confident in my pregnancy, but in reality I get more and more anxious and worried that something is wrong (i.e, MMC). I think because the more time that passes, the more attached I get.

Totally recognize that this is irrational, just wondering if anyone else has these (backwards) thoughts as they go for a 2nd or 3rd ultrasound, if applicable. I'm a FTM so a lot of times I think I'm by myself with such things.

Re: (Irrational) Ultrasound Jitters

• Options
    Yes to all of the above.... Mine is on Friday and I'm just trying to keep myself busy until then but I'm thinking all the bad thoughts. I'm just really trying to not think about it and enjoy the next few days because based on what I know, I am pregnant today :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Totally normal! I am a STM who has thankful never experienced a loss and still freak out before every appointment and U/S. I cannot imagine how much worse it would be had I experienced a loss!
  • Options
    I've only had a hb appointment and only get a one before 20 weeks because we're doing the screening. Which is next Tuesday, completely feeling the same way. Big deep breaths and remember you're almost out of the 1st trimester already and everything is fine.

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've had really bad morning sickness this whole time, so every time I throw up it is like a nice little reassurance. I had my second appt last Friday, and was not scheduled to have another ultrasound, but she couldn't find the baby's heartbeat, and I ended up having an ultrasound, and baby is perfectly fine. Any day that starts without morning sickness I am very worried though, and will skip that first pill (diclegis) so I can have my resassurance.
  • Options
    This is how I'm feeling too, you're not alone. My last pregnancy I couldn't stop waiting for bad news and it never came to pass. This time I'm not allowing myself to do that but I'm still nervous
    Baby#3!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I feel you! We're listening for the heartbeat tomorrow. Our midwife doesn't do an ultrasound until 20 weeks, so while she said my uterus felt great at 7.5 weeks, I've been relying on the fact that I feel like shit and trust to get me through. Now I'm bracing myself for listening for the heartbeat tomorrow because I'm gripped by the all consuming terror that something will be wrong. 

• Options
    I truly think everyone is nervous first trimester. I definitely am! My next appointment is Jan. 6th and I knowwww I'll be going crazy while I'm waiting in the doctors office ... Just like last time. I even made this appt. for 9 am so I don't have to spend the day waiting to leave the house haha. I spend a good amount of time talking myself down - luckily I'm good at it and I don't spend all day everyday worrying. I just tell myself we saw a healthy heart beat, my doctor wasn't worried about anything, why should I? I'm fine.
  • Options
    I am so happy to know I'm not the only irrational one here!!!
  • Options
    @elenabrent hope it is incredible for you as it was for me! I heard mine today it was incredible! Little squirt kept running from the Doppler :) totally helped ease my anxiety!
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Same for me (this is my 2nd pregnancy) tomorrow will be my first on appt this time around and I will get a dating ultrasound done (I'll finally have an edd)
    I made my husband come with me to every single appt first pregnancy because of this fear, he will be with tomorrow as well!
  • Options
    Same for me! I've barely had any of the normal pregnancy symptoms but we saw and heard the heartbeat at 8.5 weeks. Our next appointment is December 22nd and while there's no reason I should be stressed I totally am! I think it's normal :) thinking good thoughts for your appointment!
  • Options
    I literally have these same exact thoughts! I know it is not good to worry but that is all I do! Sock of these bad thoughts
  • Options
    I'm with you. I'm a STM and my first appointment is tomorrow (12 weeks). I haven't had any symptoms except for being tired and no period. My husband can't come to the appointment and I'm nervous that I'll have a MMC (with no real basis for my fear). I agree with PP about it being the "irrational trimester".
  • Options
    @elenabrent hope it is incredible for you as it was for me! I heard mine today it was incredible! Little squirt kept running from the Doppler :) totally helped ease my anxiety!
    It was crazy! Mine kept running away from the doppler too, but we were able to hear a few beats here and a few beats there. We mostly heard the placenta, which made the most amazing sound! I'm going to go back next week and hope that the baby is big enough at 12 weeks to catch for a longer amount of time.

• Options
    You're not alone and as a STM I felt similarly up until my first ultrasound on Monday. I was convinced we wouldn't see a baby and that I'd had a blighted ovum. I have no idea why I thought this, but I was convinced. We did see an active baby with a healthy heart rate, though which helped ease my anxiety. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    Feeling exactly the same. I have my second us in 4 hours and 5 minutes -- not that I'm keeping track. I'm nervous because, in my first, dr say two gestational sacs, one that was more developed than the other. Only one had a baby in it -- and that baby had a good heartbeat. s/he was measuring a bit small but dr didn't seem concerned about it, and I'm not really as DS always measured smaller than he was (I'm assuming, because two days before he was born they told me he would be like 6lb 2 oz and he was 7lb 11 oz). At this one we are hoping to see that either (a) the empty sac has reabsorbed or (b) It's no longer vacant. Dr really wouldn't give me odds either way. Like a few other people commented, my ms has gotten worse and worse, which indicates to me that things are heading in the right direction and gives me some confidence. 
  • Options
    After hearing 3-4 beats at a time of the heartbeat last week (at 11+3) we went back to my midwife yesterday (12+2) to hopefully hear a heart rate. They could hear a strong placenta, and they kept thinking they heard the heartbeat behind the placenta, but after about 10 minutes of trying they scheduled me for an ultrasound this morning. 

Immediately I freaked out, because my midwife and her assistant were saying it was very unusual for her not to be able to get a clear beat. I did some googling when I got home and it seems pretty common for it to be hard to hear the heartbeat reliably before 14 weeks. We're going in soon for the ultrasound and I'm really hoping that everything is okay, but I'm also really nervous because there just wasn't any reassurance. It's possible my midwife just isn't the reassuring type, and that's fine, but I really kind of needed that yesterday.

• Options
    This post describes exactly how I'm feeling. I was getting anxious, nervous yesterday about my ultrasound (which is tomorrow, NT scan) and I'll be 13 weeks. So glad I'm not alone. I'm sure the baby is fine but I can't help but worry!!
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • Options
    I've had really bad morning sickness this whole time, so every time I throw up it is like a nice little reassurance. I had my second appt last Friday, and was not scheduled to have another ultrasound, but she couldn't find the baby's heartbeat, and I ended up having an ultrasound, and baby is perfectly fine. Any day that starts without morning sickness I am very worried though, and will skip that first pill (diclegis) so I can have my resassurance.
    This is exactly me! My last appointment was a week ago and the Dr. couldn't find the heartbeat so we got another ultrasound. Baby was moving around like crazy and everything seemed fine, but the last week or so I've had zero symptoms and it's freaking me out. I should be grateful I feel so normal but instead I worry!
    Me: 28 & DH: 32
    Married Since November 2013
    BFP: October 29, 2015
    EDD: July 6, 2016
  • Options
    I feel the same! Our first ultrasound was at 6 weeks 4 days and we were able to see/hear the heartbeat. That was a month ago and I have been driving myself crazy since then worrying that we wouldn't hear a heartbeat at our next appointment which isn't until 12/30. Yesterday I finally decided to go to one of those elective ultrasound places and it completely eased my mind! My husband and I got to see our baby kick, punch, twirl, and squirm around on the giant screen. We even bought one of the little stuffed animals that allow you to record the heartbeat, it ended up being a lot of fun and brought great peace of mind. If you have any in your area, check one out!
  • Options
    I was super nervous about my ultrasound today (my NT scan) but everything was great! The little babe was jumping all over the place! Such a relief! Maybe now I can chill the fuck out and worry a little less haha.
  • Options
    I am a STM, and I've already seen the hb for this LO at 8w5d. But still, I am anxious about a MMC. At my OB appt since first seeing the hb, they couldn't yet hear the hb, but it was still early. Next week is the NT scan and I am nervous as hell.

But hey, we're all nervous wrecks together!
    DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    trucksntutustrucksntutus member
    edited December 2015
    Update from my
    Earlier post in this thread: HUGE sigh of relief. Just had my
    NT scan today and the little babe looked perfect and all measurements were within normal range. Just waiting on my
    Blood test results for that but I'm not nearly as worried. Hang in there ladies, I'm sure you're little babes are going to be just fine! :)
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • Options
    Bringing this back to life again because I have another ultrasound tomorrow- it's soon, I know, but I'm seeing a new OB for the first time. Cue the irrational jitters.

Where, oh where, has my rationality gone?!
  • Options
    am0987 said:

Bringing this back to life again because I have another ultrasound tomorrow- it's soon, I know, but I'm seeing a new OB for the first time. Cue the irrational jitters.

Where, oh where, has my rationality gone?!

It's probably hiding somewhere with my appetite ;) best wishes for tomorrow it will be fun to see little one try to think happy thoughts like that! Maybe it will be dancing or flipping or sucking its thumb :)
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I am in the same boat... as a STM  I am also worried and stressed for every time the next ultrasound is due.
    Because my First pregnancy went so well and baby was perfect I keep worrying that there may be something wrong with the second pregnancy... (silly  I know)

So glad I am not the only one stressing over this... I am sure we will all be fine though :)

Next scan is due on the 4th of Jan and by then I should be just over 14 weeks.... 

• Options
    Stm and until I can feel the baby move I'm nervous before every appt! Also have virtually no symptoms this time around which is very different than last pregnancy! Us tomorrow morning for me, 12 weeks! Hope all goes well!
  • Options
    Welcome to motherhood, where the worrying never ends :blush:
  • Options
    I feel like pregnancy hormones make us all a bit irrational. I went for my NT scan last night. The baby was asleep and they kept shaking my stomach with the ultrasound wand thing and making me roll back and forth to wake it up. When it finally woke up, it jumped around too much and wouldn't move into the right position so I have to go back today for another one. She said the baby was perfectly fine, but the whole thing still freaked me out a little. I couldn't sleep at all last night, just had weird dreams about all the ways things can go wrong.

I just want to go back today and have a cooperative baby to ease my mind a bit.