3rd Trimester

UPDATE: Very erratic growth chart??

Mousie93Mousie93 member
edited December 2015 in 3rd Trimester
UPDATE: Had the growth scan today and baby is absolutely fine. His current estimated weight is 6lb 11oz which is very good. Fluid levels and cord function normal. So who knows what the funny measurements were about! So relieved! Thanks to everyone who replied, I really appreciate your input and support.

Hi all,
Just got back from 36 week midwife check up and I'm only measuring 31cm (bump tape measurement). I have been referred for a growth scan on Friday.
At 27 weeks I was 26.5cm.
At 30 I was 31cm
At 33 I was 33cm.
At 36 I'm now measuring 31, so I've somehow decreased in growth.
The 30+33 week were done by the same midwife. 27 and this most recent one by different midwives.
I hope this makes sense.
Has anyone else had erratic measurements like this? I'm very nervous!

Re: UPDATE: Very erratic growth chart??

• The numbers aren't always going to be accurate and also could depend on where LO is sitting. Don't be nervous! If your midwife/wives didn't bring up any concerns, you don't need to be concerned either!
  • I wouldn't worry, Everytime I go to my midwives they tell me I am not growing much. However I went for a scan and baby is laid back to back across my stomach so im really low down and hardly look pregnant some days
  • Loading the player...
  • Okay thank you, I feel a little more reassured! It was just so random, I hate those charts!
  • I think it's a silly way to measure your baby. My sister in law was so worried when she was 32 weeks because of the same reason. X
  • I've never even been measured from the outside- it seems like such a silly thing to do because everyone is shaped and carries differently

*Kate*

February 2016

• It depends on why they are doing it. Some offices just do that. I'm diabetic so it is required. I get a weekly ultrasound and then I see my OB. The reason it's required for me being diabetic is to make sure they know how baby is growing more accurately. Since I'm at risk for a big baby it helps us really narrow things down. Measuring my belly will trump what the ultrasound says anyways, but I had low amniotic fluid with my DD so extra crap either way.
  • I did a measurement of my bump with my mum and it measured at 36cm! I know we aren't trained midwives but it's helped reassure me slightly. I think when the midwife did it baby was lying back to back and it sort of made my uterus deflate. She did say his position was likely affecting it. These babies do make us worry!
  • It depends on why they are doing it. Some offices just do that. I'm diabetic so it is required. I get a weekly ultrasound and then I see my OB. The reason it's required for me being diabetic is to make sure they know how baby is growing more accurately. Since I'm at risk for a big baby it helps us really narrow things down. Measuring my belly will trump what the ultrasound says anyways, but I had low amniotic fluid with my DD so extra crap either way.
    do you mean that the ultrasound would trump the belly measurement? If not I'm so confused as to how this works...

*Kate*

February 2016

• My midwife stopped doing the measuring tape at 36 weeks and just sort of felt my belly to determine position and size of the baby. Your measurements can vary according to baby's position (especially if you've dropped), and even time of day. I was measured right on track early in the morning one week, and then at the end of the day two weeks later and was way bigger. The next appointment after that, I measured right on track. If your midwife isn't sending you in for growth scans, I wouldn't worry.
  • I've been referred for a growth scan due to the strange measurements, but she said it's just what they have to do if they record something unusual. It doesn't help that I've had no consistency of care. I've literally seen the same midwife only twice this pregnancy.
  • Mousie93 said:

I've been referred for a growth scan due to the strange measurements, but she said it's just what they have to do if they record something unusual. It doesn't help that I've had no consistency of care. I've literally seen the same midwife only twice this pregnancy.

Good luck with your growth scan, hopefully it will clear things up and give you peace of mind!
  • Keep in mind that even u/s "growth scans" are notoriously off a lb or two in either direction.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • mcklough said:
    It depends on why they are doing it. Some offices just do that. I'm diabetic so it is required. I get a weekly ultrasound and then I see my OB. The reason it's required for me being diabetic is to make sure they know how baby is growing more accurately. Since I'm at risk for a big baby it helps us really narrow things down. Measuring my belly will trump what the ultrasound says anyways, but I had low amniotic fluid with my DD so extra crap either way.
    do you mean that the ultrasound would trump the belly measurement? If not I'm so confused as to how this works...

I'm saying to actually determine things, they should be taking both measurements because that's how they would be able to tell which measurement is off to begin with or if it's all right on track. My belly measures right on track and my baby is measuring in 50th percentile which is right on track. Also ultrasounds are less accurate the further along you are so no, I did not mean the ultrasound would trump a belly measurement.
  • My measurements were always a little bit unpredictable, but not quite as far out as yours. We were expecting a smaller baby, but he was born only 1oz lighter than my first LO! This baby's head began to engage a lot sooner though, so I think that affected the bump size. Good luck with the scan!
  • My baby's head began to engage at 31 weeks, but his engagement was the same at my most recent appointment. I wonder if the funny measurements are because he dropped early? I'm also petite (5 ft 5 but small build) and was reasonably fit before the pregnancy. I've got the growth scan this afternoon and trying not to worry as baby's movements are fine. I also don't look or feel like I'm carrying a small baby, and the midwife said he doesn't look small to her. My biggest worry is that my waters are leaking or I have an inefficient placenta, but normally that would result in reduced movement wouldn't it? I'm 37 weeks tomorrow though so I would guess worst case scenario is they induce me ASAP.
  • There is an easy test to see if you are leaking amniotic fluid, they just swab and squirt the swab with a liquid that reacts. If they are concerned about that, they'll look for it (and note it) on the u/s...or suggest further testing.
    BabyFruit Ticker