Infertility
Options

Altitude change and risk of miscarriage after IVF

Hi all,

So I know this is a very specific title, but I am in a bit of a weird situation and I wanted to see if anybody had some advice or experience to share.  So I had a fresh embryo transfer on 12/7 and am currently in my 2WW awaiting beta on 12/18. So DH and I switch off who's family we spend major holidays with and this year is my year for Christmas. A few months ago DH and I made plans to spend this Christmas with my family at our family's ski cabin - elevation 6,200 ft.  I told my nurse and RE about my Christmas plans on Friday when I was having my estrogen and progesterone levels checked and they told me that it wasn't safe to travel to an elevation 3,000 ft above what I am used to (I live at sea level) because the risk for miscarriage increases. I was totally shocked and now I feel like if I do get my BFP this Friday in a way I"m going to be punished because I can't spend Christmas (which is SO importantly for me) with my extended family - and believe me having to spend it with my in-laws instead is truly a punishment. 

I am also a doctor so I tried to look up the data on altitude and the risk of miscarriage and to be honest there really isn't anything substantial out there to support what he is saying. But, on the other hand I know now that since he has put the idea in my head and I did go - and miscarried then I will wonder if I caused it by going to a higher altitude. This is such a strange situation. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? 
TTC 2 years
Me: 32
DH: 33
DH: 3% morphology, low volume
Me: DOR, early ovulation, short luteal phase
IUI + clomid x 3 cycles - all BFN
IVF # 1 - stims 11/21
ER: 12/2 - 11 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to day 5 blastocyst - now 4 frozen snowflakes
Fresh ET -12/7 - transferred 1 embaby
12/18 Beta #1 BPF !!! - 617 
12/21 Beta #2 -1552

Re: Altitude change and risk of miscarriage after IVF

• Options
    I bet a doctor in a higher altitude city would have a little more experience with this. Might be worth a call for a second opinion? I live in Denver and most of the major ski resorts are more than 3,000 feet above the city, so this is probably a pretty common occurrence here.
  • Options
    I was wondering about the same thing.  I experienced two miscarriages after going to higher elevations, but my doctors never asked if I did change in elevation ( I also didn't think to mention it ).  I think KatBH's suggestion is a really good one.  Maybe try contacting some doctors in resort-ish areas, ski resorts, state and federal parks come to mind such as Yosemite and Yellowstone?  I'd love to hear what you find...  Best to you!
    Married 4/2011
    TTC since 4/2015
    bfp 7/14/2015 EDD 3/22/16 m/c 7w0d o:)
    bfp 10/2/2015 EDD 6/22/16 d&c 9w0d o:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was wondering this same thing for when DH and I visit his parents. They live in the mountains at 5,900 feet, and I live below sea level. I thought I read somewhere that the concern is having less oxygen in your blood than your used to. I'm also curious to know you what you find out and if it is something that needs to be avoided first trimester only or throughout pregnancy.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    @rshatsky I have not been in your shoes but just wanted to say I'm sorry you're in that position and I'm sure the added stress doesn't help! My DH and I also alternate major holidays so I know how important it is to get to my fam when it's my turn! I hope you find some good info and you get to spend the holidays with your family! Fx for you!
  • Options
    Just want to say thank you guys for your ideas and support! I am going to look into second opinions, but I have a feeling I'm not going to risk it since I have gone to such lengths to get pregnant. 

To be TOTALLY honest this morning I am 7dp5dt and I broke down and POAS for the first time and I finally got my BFP!!!!! I repeated it and it was positive again on a first response. My beta isn't scheduled until this Friday. I am over the moon, but trying to get too excited because I have had a chemical pregnancy once before about 2 years ago. 

TTC 2 years
    IVF # 1 - stims 11/21
    ER: 12/2 - 11 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to day 5 blastocyst - now 4 frozen snowflakes
    12/21 Beta #2 -1552

• Options
    Congrats!!

If you'd like, I can PM you the number for my RE here in Denver. They might be able to give you a second opinion.
  • Options
    Congrats!!
  • Options
    oxinfreeoxinfree member
    edited December 2015
    @rshatsky - congrats on bfp

All I can say it is one christmas to sacrifice for a lifetime with your child. 

Your body does adjust naturally to altitude changes. ie. increased blood pressure, lower levels of oxygen. You're doubling what your body is used to so your body will naturally have to adjust... while also adjusting for baby. I think the doc has a point, and is trying to give you all the information. I know girls who fly in first trimester without hesitation. Just wouldn't be me. 

After all I've been through personally, there isn't a chance in hell I'd do anything to risk that. do what's best for you and what you can feel confident about.
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011
    Me: 32, DH: 32
    Diagnosis: Endometriosis

• 2012 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    • 2013 - 1 Fresh IVF with 2 day 3 embryos - BFN
    • 2014 - 1 Frozen IVF with 2 day 5 embryos - BFN
    • Took a long break, continuing trying naturally
    • Feb 2016 - Biopsy = Endo, DH sperm improved from 1% to 6% morphology
    • March 2016 - Fresh IVF cycle with acupuncture & intralipids: 20 eggs retrieved (17 mature), 7 ICSI'd fertilized, 9 naturally fertilized. 16 total embryos!
    • April 8th - 2 embryos (1ICSI and 1 Natural) transferred. (7 blastocysts frozen), April 18th - Beta = BFN
    • Sept 23rd - Lupron Depot Injection for Endo control
    • Nov 15th 2016 - Started daily Lupron Injections for upcoming FET
    • Nov 22 - Baseline US/BW - Intralipid Infusion - Start Meds for FET with immune protocol
    • Dec 16th FET transfer of 3 embryos (1 - AA, 2 - BB)
    • TW below
    • Dec 22nd - first ever bfp (very faint lines FRER & cheapie)
    • Dec 27th Beta = 192, Dec 29th Beta = 379
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    I'm a YouTube vlogger who talks about Infertility, IVF and Endometriosis. Check it out here!
    Follow along at http://liv4today.blog
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• Options
    Hi guys,

So yes after my BFP I cancelled my trip to the mountains because I don't want to risk it. I had to tell my family, which was earlier than I was planning on telling them, but they were all very understanding. 

My beta on Friday was great at 617 and I am just waiting to get the call now to see what my second beta was to make sure it is doubling. I'm so nervous about losing this pregnancy that there isn't much I wouldn't do to keep it at this point. 
    TTC 2 years
    IVF # 1 - stims 11/21
    12/21 Beta #2 -1552

• Options
    I'm sorry you're missing Christmas with your family this year.  Do you think you can double up and get two years in a row for the next two, since your husband might get two in a row this time?  That seems fair!

And congratulations!!!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)