March 2016 Moms
Options

Switching doctors/care

Have any of you switched doctors this late in the game? I'm currently seeing midwives at my regular clinic but I'd feel more comfortable under the care of a doctor (my ob will only get involved if there is a problem). The midwives are so kind, but my husband and I feel they are not listening to my concerns and our birth wishes. I don't want to get into the details, just looking for any insight from anyone else who has changed..

Re: Switching doctors/care

• Options
    I switched at 36ish weeks due to a military move. It went well, but we had several months of notice, so I was able to research new providers quite a bit.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Options
    I just switched. We moved so I had to. Try to do a bit of research, just as you did when you started with the midwives. You will probably have to sign a form to transfer your medical records.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just moved out of state, so I had to get a new doctor. I did my research ahead of the move with what hospital I wanted to deliver at, and found a doctor who delivered there who matched with my needs for care and such. Before they could make an appointment for me I had to sign a release of records with them so they could have my old doctor fax my records over, and the new doctor had to look them over and be sure she could take me as a patient. It wasn't too hard though, just do your research like you did the first time and I'm sure you'll find someone you like.
  • Options
    I had to switch doctor too because my insurance was covering my first OB, but not the hospital where he was delivering. I researched online and read reviews about the doctor that were delivering at the hospital where I can go to. It went really well for my first appointment.
                                                                                  image

• Options
    Switching at this point shouldn't be a problem, especially if you've been having all the routine tests and whatnot an OB would want.  Like other's have said, do your research and maybe have a couple options and call and talk to the office to see what they need record-wise.

My OB retired from delivering babies midway through my 2nd pregnancy (with no warning- she was the only OB at the practice) so when I showed up for my scheduled 24 week appointment the receptionist handed me a packet with all my records from that pregnancy and said to show up at another OBs office monday morning, if I had any problems in the meantime to call their office.  It was all really weird and I was caught totally off guard and unhappy about it, but it ended up being no big deal at all.  A nurse at the new practice 'interviewed' me to get the rest of my medical history at that first appointment, then it was like I had been there all along.  I would defnintely do it sooner rather than later because things can get a little tricky in the 3rd trimester.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lurking.

I switched at 34 weeks. It wasn't difficult and I'm extremely happy with my care now.
  • Options
    How did your insurance handle it? I'm also very unhappy with my OB and his lack of care.
  • Options
    Make sure you call the new office you'd like to go to and make sure they accept transfers past 1st tri. Mine only accepted me because of extenuating circumstances, their policy is normally to only accept before week 13.