March 2016 Moms

SGA Baby at 25 weeks

I was just diagnosed with an SGA baby today. He is in the 9th percentile and still tracking behind. No big deal was made about this at previous appointments, but now it's a big deal. I'm freaking out. They took 12 vials of blood to do screenings which I originally opted out of. And I go back in 2 more weeks for another ultrasound. I naturally turned to online articles for more info. But I think what I'm looking for is reassurance and other moms who've been through this. The waiting game is awfully stressful. Please help!

Re: SGA Baby at 25 weeks

• Maybe try the High Risk Board?  I haven't heard of anyone here dealing with that.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I googled SGA because I hadn't heard that term before. Apparently it means small gestational age, which there could be many factors at play. I have small babies (son born 12th percentile at 41+5) and current baby is at 18th percentile for weight. I'm sure they're just being overly cautious but some babies have to be at one end of the spectrum.

Good luck, trust me this won't be the last time you fret over baby's size.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our doctors had some concerns about my second baby's size, and she hovered around the 20th percentile, so she never dropped low enough to be considered sga, but she ended up being 7 lbs 7 oz at birth at 39w5d, so totally normal sized. At 20 months, she has definitely turned out to be a peanut and small for her age, always around 10th-15th percentile.

So just keep in mind that the ultrasounds have a pretty big margin of error. It's better that they are keeping an eye on it and checking to see if there are any other issues or if it's just a smaller baby. Try not to google too much! Just eat, drink, and rest as much as you can!

• My daughter measured small all throughout my pregnancy. They never expected her to come out 6lbs 15oz (they were expecting 4lbs at most). Still yes she was small but not nearly as small as they predicted, she came out a day before her due date without any complications. And after she was born she grew like a weed, now 6 years later people are always shocked to hear how old she is considering her height. They always guess 7 or 8.
  • My son measured three weeks behind for the entire pregnancy. He was born at 41 weeks. 6 pounds, 5 ounces. I had to do non stress tests at each of my appointments during the third trimester. But he was healthy. Hopefully these blood tests all come back with showing no issues and can put your mind at ease.
  • Thanks everyone for the responses. It's so nice to have a place like this to turn to. I'm definitely trying not to overthink anything at this point.
  • Update: Now 27 weeks along. Baby has been diagnosed with Trisomy 16. Very little online in the way of information. Looks like the results of pregnancy could range anywhere from miscarriage to severe birth defects to minor defects to nothing noticeable at all! These next 3 months are going to be agonizing to get through. My docs don't have many answers for me now. Just trying to stay positive at this point.

Just thought I would share an excellent website I came across though: trisomy16.org aka the DOC 16 Foundation for anyone else who may be dealing with similar issues.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this. Thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome for baby.

• Thinking of you and your family. Praying for the best for your precious LO.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hugs and prayers for you and your LO.
  • Positive thoughts your way. Sorry you are going through this.
  • Thoughts and prayers for you and your family!! Praying all works out well in the end.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Sorry you're going through this. Positive thoughts and prayers for LO and your family. Hoping for a good outcome.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Prayers for you and baby!
  • T&Ps to you and baby hoping for the best for you all.