March 2016 Moms

Electric or manual breast pump?

Ftm here im in need of advice. I been looking into getting a breast pump im not sure weather to use electric or manual. Anyone have advice or experience with either or? Which one do you prefer or find easier?

Re: Electric or manual breast pump?

• I had and used both with my last. The electric was my workhorse pump that I used 95% of the time. It's MUCH faster and more efficient than the manual and has the added benefit of doing both breasts at the same time. 

I kept the manual in my car for emergencies, and it did come in handy from time to time. I inherited it from my cousin, or wouldn't have ended up with it at all (to be honest). 

If you plan to go back to work and pump, I'd recommend the electric. If you plan to mostly nurse and only occasionally pump, then the manual should do the trick.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• You need to assess your needs.  If you are working, get a double electric, hospital grade if possible - I highly recommend Hygeia Q over Medela PISA (pump in style advanced).  If you just need it occasionally, manual is great. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Loading the player...
  • Even if you aren't going to be pumping at work but plan to have multiple children I think an electric pump is worth the expense.  Although I don't even know if they are expensive anymore now that insurance covers them? I had to purchase mine (Medela Freestyle) when I bought it 7+ years ago for like $300 but it has definitely been used a ton.  A manual is nice to have in a pinch to relieve some pressure, but I was never able to get nearly as much milk using the manual, plus you can only do one boob at a time, so it's very inefficient overall.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I could pump milk faster with my manual, even having to do one breast at a time. However, I preferred my electric because I could do other things while I pumped.

I kept my manual in my desk in case I couldn't make it down to the nursing mothers room on my time slot. It was good back up.
  • When we lived in VA, a snowstorm knocked out the power for a few days.  Definitely worth to have the manual pump!  But, most insurers are covering the Medela Pump in Style.  Works really well for both breasts.  Just be sure to drink lots of water.  My right always made more than my left, but the electric was so easy!
  • I really liked my ameda double electric pump. I see a lot of Mom's suggesting the pump in style but the ameda system is closed so no milk enters tubing so it's SUPER easy to clean (and it's cheaper than the PIS). I used both (I tried both from friends before purchasing) and preferred the ameda. If you're a SAHM I'd consider a hand just for cost alone, if you're around most of the time and only using it for the occasional bottle I'm sure that's all you need. I had supply issues and that's why I bought an electric, otherwise I probably would have went manual.

Honestly I'd hold off purchasing until you're certain BFing is going to work for you. I had a friend purchase a Pump in style before her baby was born and her milk didn't come in, meds didn't even help. She sold hers on a mom board but still lost some money on it (you can't return pumps).
  • If you're in the US, see which pump(s) your insurance covers first off.  Then go from there. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I used my electric pump for the most part and manual for emergency. When I had milk blisters, I used the manual pump because I can better adjust the suction to reduce the pain. Some people told me they get more with manual pump but that wasn't my case. 
  • It was nice to have a manual pump at first to get used to pumping and also for pumping one side while LO nursed from the other.

It was necessary to have an electric pump for work pump sessions.  

Manual pumping takes a lot longer than an electric pump.  It all depends on your situation and need.  
  • For me the beauty of a manual pump is the control you can have over it, squeezing lighter and quicker or tighter and longer to adjust your flow. Lots of the electrics are adjustable in that aspect, but it's not the same. I have both and use both, depending on my intent. Insurance provided the electric, and I bought a small cheap manual on my own.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • I have a double electric and a manual.  Manual will live in diaper bag for the just incase times

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• I had and used both with my last. The electric was my workhorse pump that I used 95% of the time. It's MUCH faster and more efficient than the manual and has the added benefit of doing both breasts at the same time. 

I kept the manual in my car for emergencies, and it did come in handy from time to time. I inherited it from my cousin, or wouldn't have ended up with it at all (to be honest). 

If you plan to go back to work and pump, I'd recommend the electric. If you plan to mostly nurse and only occasionally pump, then the manual should do the trick.
    This!! I bought both just in case...manual are way cheaper!! I kept it with me at all times when I was away from home!! Used it for emergencies or just enough to last until I could get home! I took my electric with me to work so I could pump there and then at home! With my electric I bought a bra that held the pumps up so I could do more than just hold them up to pump!! LIFE SAVER!!! I suggest getting both!
  • I was given a manual in the hospital because I hadn't gotten my electric yet from insurance and my milk came in super early. I had problems with a strong let down that would choke DD early on, so the manual was great to use to pump until my flow evened out- very easy to control. I used my electric when I went back to work, but I still used the manual from time to time and for travel. I would get an electric if insurance provides one. Manual pumps are much cheaper so you could always buy one on your own.