April 2016 Moms

Wednesday Ticker Change

Week/Baby Size:

Symptoms:

Rants/Raves/Stories:

Upcoming Appointments:

Questions:

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, every or just recently?
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Wednesday Ticker Change

• imrachelleaimrachellea member
    edited December 2015
    Week/Baby Size: 23 weeks, 1 to go until viability!!! A grapefruit...? Which seems smaller than last weeks papaya...

Symptoms: My rings are already getting snug!!! What the heck?! :( Plus I get back/hip pain a lot easier now. And those raging hormones of all kinds are at their peak, I feel like a crazy woman...

Rants/Raves/Stories: I've started secret teaching DD the name I've picked for DD2 that DH seems kind of wishy washy about lol

Upcoming Appointments: 24 weeks on the 17th

Questions: none

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, every or just recently? The Scent of Rain and Lightning, a cold case murder mystery that goes back and forth between present and past. Also by the same author, and same past/present writing, The Virgin of Small Plains
  • briterfly84briterfly84 member
    edited December 2015
    Week/Baby Size: Week 20, size of a banana...or the size of an average penis...teeheehee

Symptoms: re-found my sciatic nerve, yay. But at least the puking is starting to taper off!

Rants/Raves/Stories: I want to get home at night and see my Christmas lights. DH gets home before me, but never turns them on. I get way too upset about it. But I don't tell him, that makes too much sense.

Upcoming Appointments: next week, on my birthday, A/S and hoping baby cooperates so we can find out what we're having

Questions: is it Christmas break yet?!

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, ever or just recently? I LOVE the Rock Chick Series! But favorite book ever...Nine days til Christmas. It's about a little girl's first posada. My Grammy used to read it to me, regardless of what time of year it was.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Week/Baby Size: 23 weeks! A grapefruit... Whatever bump, you stink at fruit sizes.

Symptoms: bronchitis :neutral:

Rants/Raves/Stories: we had our first baby class last night. It should be named 'how not to harm your baby'. Seriously.. Every topic she had, she shared a horrific story about a baby who had gotten hurt/worse. It was a little like the mean girls character that ended everything in 'you'll get and STD and die'.

Upcoming Appointments: monthly check up next week, I think we'll schedule my glucose test then too.

Questions: those of you that have done the 1 hour glucose test- did the nurses do it in your office, or did you have to go to a place for bloodwork?
    Just curious if I should start scoping comfortable Quest Diagnostics around here- some have comfortable lounges.

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, every or just recently?
    The cracked slipper series! It's a dark take on the Cinderella story, but I liked it.. Now if the author could finish the last book, I'd be great.
    edited December 2015
    @misstopsail With my DD I was given the drink and a form to fill out when I drank it at my 24 week appointment. Then I had to drink it within an hour of my 28 week appointment time. Then I gave them the form at the office, and everything was done right there. That appt was no longer than any other because I was given the drink beforehand. Btw, if you are given it beforehand keep it in the fridge and drink it cold, that supposedly is best. It honestly wasn't bad, like Flat orange soda.
  • thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited December 2015
    Week/Baby Size: 23 weeks - grapefruit

Symptoms: None. :)

Rants/Raves/Stories: I have so many stories this week! So sit down before you start reading. :O)
    1) The echogenic bowel saga: We had the level 2 ultrasound two days ago and the echogenic bowel has disappeared. YAY! Best news. We had genetics appointment last week, sent off blood for Panorama & cystic fibrosis carrier status, and all my serologies have been negative for acute infections. 
    2) The mild pyelectasis: On the level 2 ultrasound we found out that the baby has mild unilateral renal pyelectasis (6mm). The doctor wasn't worried about it at all and said it is super common and should resolve before birth. However, it is also a soft marker for Down's - but we are already waiting on the Panorama anyways.
    3) The marginal cord insertion: I also learned on the level 2 US that I have a marginal cord insertion to my placenta… This has now become my biggest source of worry (because, you know, pregnancy has transformed this go-getter woman into a worry-nut…). Apparently this is, like, 5 times more common in IVF pregnancies (my case). I have read a lot of articles and most of them refer to a velamentous cord insertion, which is even worse and can be associated with increased risk of IUGR, fetal demise, premature birth, neonatal ICU admission, etc…. The data on marginal cord insertion is not as abundant. The only study I found was a large cohort study of over 600,000 people, and in this study marginal insertion was also associated with the same outcomes as the velamentous insertion, but to a much lower degree. Anecdotally, it seems that most women go through pregnancy just fine with this condition. I'll be discussing it with my OB next week.
    4) The baby size: I am a big woman (5'7'', size 11 shoes, big-boned), husband is a tall (6'2'') and skinny guy. I always imagined this would be a big baby! But our boy is growing on the 22nd percentile. Although I KNOW this is within the normal range, I am a little concerned about it because of the marginal cord insertion - is my baby getting all the nutrients he needs?? This has been eating me up, so yesterday I spoke to my mom and husband's mom, and I found out I was a big baby - born at 3.5Kg or 7 pounds 12 oz…. Husband, on the other hand, was a smaller baby born at 3Kg or 6 pounds 10 oz… When I look at fetal growth curves, I was born at the 75th percentile for weight, and husband was born just below the 25th percentile for weight. So now I am trying to calm myself down since our baby seems to be following the same growth curve as his dad did. :) I hope this is all there is. Can't wait for another US to re-check!
    5) The Zika virus: I am going to Rio de Janeiro in 2 weeks to spend the holidays in my family. The issue is that there is an outbreak of a new mosquito-borne illness, a virus called Zika virus. It was introduced to Brazil at the time of the world cup. Because Brazil is such a populous country, there are new issues being discovered with this virus now that were never described before, and one of them is that it seems to cause microcephaly in in babies whose mothers were infected while pregnant. Because this is such a new outbreak and a new complication, no one knows anything about it just yet. So I am here wondering whether I should cancel my trip (which means unfortunately I won't have another chance of spending Xmas AND New Years with my family for several more years), or go anyways and bathe in mosquito repellent every day…. Oh, decisions...

Upcoming Appointments:  OB next thursday (next week) for 24 week visit.

Questions: Although I eat a lot I have only gained 7 pounds at 23 weeks. Should I be eating more??? I never thought I would ever want to gain weight, but I'm concerned I'm a bit behind on the weight gain issue.

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, every or just recently? I love everything Agatha Christie, I can devour the book in a day. From her collection, I think my favorite was "And then there were none".
  • Week/Baby Size: 20 weeks/Banana

Symptoms: no sleep, heart burn, stuffy nose

Rants/Raves/Stories:  I literally just started showing and feel like I went from being able to hide it last week to huge over night. 

Upcoming Appointments: Next appt 1/6 to confirm all is on track. 

Questions: Nothing thus far

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, every or just recently? Angels & Deamons is one of my favorite of all time but I also love all Chelsea Handler books. They are funny, light reads that I really enjoy. 
  • @thaisac1 When I took a child development class in high school the average weight of babies was 7.5 pounds (I remember this specifically because I was 7 lbs 7.5 oz, so basically average). I had heard that the average now is 8.5 pounds (and I believe this may be relative to the US, or possibly to first world countries?), given that the average weight of people in general has increased. There is so much variance to baby size for so many random factors, I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Especially given that LO is following YH!
  • @thaisac1 When I took a child development class in high school the average weight of babies was 7.5 pounds (I remember this specifically because I was 7 lbs 7.5 oz, so basically average). I had heard that the average now is 8.5 pounds (and I believe this may be relative to the US, or possibly to first world countries?), given that the average weight of people in general has increased. There is so much variance to baby size for so many random factors, I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Especially given that LO is following YH!
    I hope you're right, hope he's just a tall skinny guy like his dad... The only part of him that seems to be at the 50th percentile is his legs - long legs like daddy.
  • Week / Baby Size:  20 weeks / a banana

Symptoms:  Some back pain and I'm peeing all the time again, but nothing too bad

Rants / Raves / Stories:
      We had our anatomy scan last Friday and found out we're having a baby boy!

Upcoming Appointments:
      Anatomy scan part 2 next week, because baby was not cooperating and we couldn't get all the requisite pictures.

Questions: Nope

GYKY - What is a favorite book you have read, ever or just recently:  My absolute favorite book is Pride and Prejudice.  I must have read it 7 or 8 times so far.
  • Week / Baby Size:  22 weeks / a papaya - I swear I feel like the weeks are flying

Symptoms:  Still peeing all the time.  My hips hurt from side sleeping, I'm normally a back sleeper.  I do put a pillow between my knees to try to alleviate the pressure but that's not always helpful

Rants / Raves / Stories:
      I kinda love how when my mom and MIL see me now the first thing they do it give me a kiss, then they immediately bend down and kiss my belly and start talking to the baby.  It's a little weird, but very sweet at the same time.

Upcoming Appointments:
      Regular 23 week appointment at the OB next week.  

Questions: None, I swear I had one though.  I need to write these things down

GYKY - What is a favorite book you have read, ever or just recently:  The Shining is def a favorite.  For something newer I really loved reading The Martian.
  • Week/Baby Size: Spaghetti Squash/Week 22!

Symptoms: Migraines and swelling in hands and feet. Constipation is a beast also, so I'm increasing my water intake.

Rants/Raves/Stories: I'm just so excited about everything now. I literally go online and update all my registries at least twice a week because I think of things that I may need or change out items that I don't like anymore. The only item I am really struggling with is a nice travel system that is in our price range. The ones that I like online look like crap/feel cheap in person. It's crazy though, because I still haven't purchased ONE SINGLE ITEM for the baby yet myself. Not even a onesie. LOL.

Upcoming Appointments: On 12/30, I'm doing a follow-up A/S ultrasound with my OB. LO didn't want to cooperate to get all the measurements, but we confirmed that we are having a BABY BOY!

Questions: For STM moms -  What's been your experience in making your own baby food? I'm SERIOUSLY considering adding a Baby Bullet to my registry.

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, every or just recently? Same as @reddingite810, Pride & Prejudice.

• Week/Baby Size: 22 & papaya

Symptoms: big belly

Rants/Raves/Stories: I have a cyst on my foot I need to have removed. I have no idea when I'm going to be able to do this.

Upcoming Appointments: next week just a regular check up

Questions: none

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, every or just recently? I'm currently reading Shantaram and it is EXCELLENT. It's so well written.
    edited December 2015
    @linzoirv I made almost all of DD's baby food, except for buying organic pouches for travel and on-the-go. I honestly wouldn't waste money on a contraption made especially for baby food. I used my regular pots, pants, and cookware to steam/microwave/etc whatever needed to be made, and when were doing purees I just used my food processor. I froze the purees in ice cube trays (each square is about an ounce, also a great way to save small amount of breast milk when you just need an ounce or two) and stored food in the fridge using Reynolds snap and go tupperware. I loved making her food, and it really wasn't much of a hassle. She didn't do purees for very long, we started at 4 months and by 6 months she was already doing textured foods (with no teeth, she didn't get her first until 16 months!) and at 7 months she started eating off our plates. Kiddo is an awesome eater, she has a more advanced palate than my MIL!
  • @imrachellea Great point. The Baby Bullet sounds like a bunch of hype. I currently don't have a food processor, so I'll just buy one of those instead. And I never thought of the ice-cube trick. Thanks so much for the info!

• @linzoirv I made almost all of DD's baby food, except for buying organic pouches for travel and on-the-go. I honestly wouldn't waste money on a contraption made especially for baby food. I used my regular pots, pants, and cookware to steam/microwave/etc whatever needed to be made, and when were doing purees I just used my food processor. I froze the purees in ice cube trays (each square is about an ounce, also a great way to save small amount of breast milk when you just need an ounce or two) and stored food in the fridge using Reynolds snap and go tupperware. I loved making her food, and it really wasn't much of a hassle. She didn't do purees for very long, we started at 4 months and by 6 months she was already doing textured foods (with no teeth, she didn't get her first until 16 months!) and at 7 months she started eating off our plates. Kiddo is an awesome eater, she has a more advanced palate than my MIL!
    @linzoirv this is all great advice and what we did! Get a regular bullet and use it for yourself and baby. 
  • Week: 23! Grapefruit which I have been munching on daily Symptoms: occasional sciatic nerve pain and peeing all of the time! I think this little man is living on my bladder Rants/raves/stories: my husband told me I am looking so much more pregnant than last time. I think he meant it as a compliment but it came out all wrong. Upcoming appts: jan. 30 at 26 weeks, also have to schedule my gd test Questions: nope Gtky: Wuthering Heights is my favorite classic. In terms of more recents I am a huge Harry potter series dork!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Week/Baby Size: 21 weeks, pomegranate :) my favorite!!!

Symptoms: feeling baby move more! How amazing :) Some back pain, and ravenous appetite. That's about it.
    Oh, a complete loss of sexual drive which is annoying DH something fierce.

Rants/Raves/Stories:
    I feel like TB app has been down for ages!
    Headed out for our honeymoon cruise and I'm SO EXCITED!!! We waited until the off season, so hopefully it won't be too crowded.
    Another note, I have a full time teaching internship starting in January, and as long as little nugget can hold off until his due date I should be able to finish without going back after the birth! Stay in there til 4/20 baby boy!

Upcoming Appointments: Had my anatomy scan last Friday (past appointments) and everything was great :)

Questions:

GTKY: What is a favorite book you have read, every or just recently? One of my favorites is Water for Elephants. Yes, there's a movie too, but the book is great :) & the author is from my home state, which is always neat.
  • @thaisac1

I missed this last week's check in due to work, but after searching the board for cord issues your post in here popped up. I had part two of my anatomy scan today, (they couldn't get everything last time) and was told the same as you with the marginal cord issue. My dr didn't seem concerned, just said they will monitor baby well and do monthly growth ultrasounds to make sure all is well. Said nothing I did caused it, it just happens sometimes. I came home and tried to research some ( there really isn't much besides posts on baby center) I did find enough to see that marginal and velamentous, while similar, are different with velamentous being the more dangerous one. ( the arteries are in the open) it has more of the risks that goes with it and the marginal while it still has some (IUGR) thankfully isn't as bad. Forgive me if you've figured this out since you posted, I just wanted to share with you what I found out. Here's a good visual I found that helped me too.

I know we're going to monitor it and my dr doesn't seem concerned, but my mind won't stop running in all different directions of possibilities. My next appt is in 5 weeks (had work conflicts) we'll do another ultrasound and I'll ask more questions. I'm wondering a lot about delivery, and if this will impact that. Of course I'm going to worry about him getting what he needs as well.
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Forgot the picture, sorry.
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

DS2 9/12/13

• @thaisac1

I missed this last week's check in due to work, but after searching the board for cord issues your post in here popped up. I had part two of my anatomy scan today, (they couldn't get everything last time) and was told the same as you with the marginal cord issue. My dr didn't seem concerned, just said they will monitor baby well and do monthly growth ultrasounds to make sure all is well. Said nothing I did caused it, it just happens sometimes. I came home and tried to research some ( there really isn't much besides posts on baby center) I did find enough to see that marginal and velamentous, while similar, are different with velamentous being the more dangerous one. ( the arteries are in the open) it has more of the risks that goes with it and the marginal while it still has some (IUGR) thankfully isn't as bad. Forgive me if you've figured this out since you posted, I just wanted to share with you what I found out. Here's a good visual I found that helped me too.

I know we're going to monitor it and my dr doesn't seem concerned, but my mind won't stop running in all different directions of possibilities. My next appt is in 5 weeks (had work conflicts) we'll do another ultrasound and I'll ask more questions. I'm wondering a lot about delivery, and if this will impact that. Of course I'm going to worry about him getting what he needs as well.

Yes my research led me to the same conclusions... I'll see my doc on Thursday and ask then.
    Is your baby growing well so far?
    Hope this is just another passing worry and everything ends well!
  • thaisac1 said:

@thaisac1

Yes my research led me to the same conclusions... I'll see my doc on Thursday and ask then.
    Is your baby growing well so far?
    Hope this is just another passing worry and everything ends well!
    At my appt yesterday baby was measuring fine. They didn't give me percentiles, or exacts, but I was 23w 5d and he measured right there or close to it depending on what she was measuring. They said he also weighs 1lb 5 oz which is bigger than any of my apps say he should weigh right now. So growth wise he's doing well, it's later they're worried about.

DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

DS2 9/12/13