Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Vaccines for those visiting baby

Hi All,

I'm an expecting FTM hoping to get some advice! I know not all are pro-vaccine but my husband and I are so I would like to know what your experience has been with visitors and your LO before the 2 month round of shots.

I've seen some discussions about asking grandparents and visitors to update their Tdap (whooping cough) or get the flu shots before baby arrives if they plan to spend time with the baby. Are these the only two vaccines that are recommended for those visiting baby?

I know we should do what makes us most comfortable but I know many of Dh's family will want to come hold baby and I'd like to ask if they are up to date on shots if they plan to hold and play with the LO before 2 months. Please share your experience and what worked for you!

Re: Vaccines for those visiting baby

• I have 2 kids and never asked anyone to get shots before holding them or visiting. Not even when they were newborns. I didn't even make DH get any shots.

Most people knew not to come around if they were sick and even my cousin didn't come to the hospital to visit after DD was born because she had a cold. I definitely get my kids all the shots they need but I don't require family and friends to have them before seeing my newborns.

• I only asked those who are helping to care for my little guy, only our parents, if they would mind getting their TDAP. But that was it. I am pro vaccine buy I would never demand everyone get their TDAP and flu shot as I view it as an invasion of privacy to demand anyone do anything. My guy is 10 weeks old and did just fine
  • Loading the player...
  • We had the people who were planning to visit and stay for an extended period of time get their TDAP (basically just my mom and sister adn DH's mom and dad).  DH had his TDAP a year before DD was born before we went on our honeymoon, so he didn't need to get it again.  Everyone else just used antibacterial before holding the baby.
  • delujm0 said:
    We had the people who were planning to visit and stay for an extended period of time get their TDAP (basically just my mom and sister adn DH's mom and dad).  DH had his TDAP a year before DD was born before we went on our honeymoon, so he didn't need to get it again.  Everyone else just used antibacterial before holding the baby.

Thank you! This is what I was thinking my parents and MIL and SIL want to come help out so they would be around more than just a quick visit.

• Yeah. Couldn't hurt to ask them then. :)
  • I'm actually not a vaxer for my baby yet, in delaying with her, but we all got both shots and made visitors as well.
  • I don't plan on pushing/asking anyone that is going to around my LO, after they are born, to get vaccinated. I am Pro Vaccine myself. However, with the strange vaccine allergies that run in my family, I have NO clue what some of the people I want around my LO has an allergy to! I know my body cannot tolerate the flu vaccine, due to my allergies, but I MUST have to Rubella Vaccine after my LO is born. I'm not immune to that. And I don't think I have an allergy to all of that.

Normally though, the TDAP vaccine is really pushed by Pediatricians, for those that are going to be around your baby. The Flu vaccine isn't pushed much, that I know of. But it never hurts to ask those that will be around your baby all the time, to get vaccinated, if you feel safer that way!
  • I asked my mom a few times to get the TDAP and she did but I also felt pretty comfortable harassing her about it and knew she'd be seeing LO a lot. I also made sure DH got his. I didn't ask the in-laws just because I didn't think it was worth forcing, even though I did ask DH to ask them. Likewise for the flu shot.
  • I asked my parents and in-laws to get the TDAP, and my parents were already good because they were already up do date (they checked with their doctors). They are the only ones who will be around her for extended periods of time (my parents are out visiting us for a week, and we will be staying with my in-laws for several days for Christmas). Everyone else will simply be asked to wash their hands before holding her, since they'll all only be around her for the day.
  • FTM here as well and I'm personally not going to ask anyone to get any special vaccines just to see our baby.  I think most people are pretty courteous about not coming around a baby if they are ill, and with that in mind, I don't plan on addressing it at all with our friends and family.  
    When our son has to go to daycare, I will be a little more cautious about making sure his caretakers are vaccinated, though.
  • You can politely tell people that pediatricianshe are recommending that anyone who will be in close contact with a baby should have then TDAP because of recent outbreaks. They will either get it or won't, I wouldn't press it but make sure no one is sick around baby.
  • We've told my parents and DH's parents that if they want to hold the baby, they will need to update their tdap. We live 4-6 hours from our families so no one else is going to be visiting early on because its not really a day trip. Once we've hit 2 months and the baby has their own vaccines started it'll just be hand sanitizer all around and we'll bring the baby up to our family for everyone to meet in person. Geographical barriers are actually really useful in this situation.
  • I'm also pro-vaccine. Ieally don't understand why people don't. Here's a great article I read about it. Maybe it will convince another mom to do it. Why Should I Vaccinate My Child

• Finally got my husband to get his today plus the flu shot. :) He wasn't against getting it...just lazy.
  • vFinally got my husband to get his today plus the flu shot. :) He wasn't against getting it...just lazy.

I managed to get my hubby to get his a few days before I delivered (and I was already overdue!). He kept meaning to do it but never had time to actually go (aka too lazy).
  • vFinally got my husband to get his today plus the flu shot. :) He wasn't against getting it...just lazy.

I managed to get my hubby to get his a few days before I delivered (and I was already overdue!). He kept meaning to do it but never had time to actually go (aka too lazy).
    Oddly enough he just found out about a pertussis outbreak in our county. Scary.
  • I ask all regular visitors to my home when I have a NB to get both TDAP & Flu. Since both can kill my child, it's not an issue for me to insist upon.

I limit visitors anyway. If the visitor refuses then I tell them to wait.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• FTM here as well and I'm personally not going to ask anyone to get any special vaccines just to see our baby.  I think most people are pretty courteous about not coming around a baby if they are ill, and with that in mind, I don't plan on addressing it at all with our friends and family.  
    When our son has to go to daycare, I will be a little more cautious about making sure his caretakers are vaccinated, though.

Symptoms of pertussis in adults are mild to none. They could have it & not know. Just FYI.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers