October 2015 Moms

Sleep training baby

What does everyone do to get their baby to sleep? Do you have some sort of routine and does it work? I'm going to start doing something bc lo is 6 weeks so I want to start some type of routine. Any advise would we great. Thanks all

Re: Sleep training baby

• During the day, I let him nap as he likes (wherever, however long) but at night I take him to his room, we have a turtle that projects waves in the wall and makes ocean sounds so he's got the white noise and very dim lights. I give him a warm bath, change him, and do his evening feeding in the dark room. No talking or activity, just snuggling and burping until he dozes off. I know many recommend laying them down partially awake but my LO is 5 weeks and he just doesn't seem ready for that yet. After he's decently asleep I lay him in his pack and play still swaddled. I can get a good 3-4 hours out of him that way. If he wakes when I lay him down, I'll give him a pacifier, and shush while I pay his bottom but don't pick him up and he usually will go back to sleep that way. Good Luck!
  • We're sleep training, 6 weeks old today and started last Monday. At 8:30, even if he's sleeping, I wake him up to feed him, change him, wash his face, put on pajamas and swaddle. We have nature sounds and a night light on as well. Since baby boy was heading into a clingy phase we've also been working on attachment. We have a little musical plushy bunny he loves that I hold next to him throughout our routine so he feels calm even when I'm not there, especially when I set him down in his crib awake. He's usually fully awake when I do and falls asleep within about 30 minutes. I think the hardest part for me is listening to him talking up a storm and not going to cuddle. If he starts crying I pick him up and rock him and try again, but if he's just being noisy I leave him.
  • Loading the player...
  • We're sleep training, 6 weeks old today and started last Monday. At 8:30, even if he's sleeping, I wake him up to feed him, change him, wash his face, put on pajamas and swaddle. We have nature sounds and a night light on as well. Since baby boy was heading into a clingy phase we've also been working on attachment. We have a little musical plushy bunny he loves that I hold next to him throughout our routine so he feels calm even when I'm not there, especially when I set him down in his crib awake. He's usually fully awake when I do and falls asleep within about 30 minutes. I think the hardest part for me is listening to him talking up a storm and not going to cuddle. If he starts crying I pick him up and rock him and try again, but if he's just being noisy I leave him.

That's what my husband is pushing for us to do. I have such a hard time letting DD be on her own when I know she's awake. But ur absolutely right in having him go down awake - it's such a good habit to learn early on so when he wakes in the middle of the night he might be able to soothe himself back to sleep. I may get a lot of backlash for saying this but babies are smart and may not "learn" habits but definitely start "making associations" even this early on.
  • I've been using babywise sleep training principles since day 1. We began focusing on full feedings every 2.5-3 hrs (avoiding a habit of snacking) and watching baby closely to learn her sleep cues. I start every day at 8am despite when her last feeding is to establish a routine. Once I learned her sleep cues, I've been able to figure out a good schedule for when I need to put her down for daytime naps with minimal/no fussing. So far, I would say it's been successful in that our days and nights are predictable (only one motn feeding), she sleeps great and is a happy baby, and my hubby and I have freedom in our day knowing when she's going to be hungry and/or asleep.

I understand like PP said that her sleeping rhythms may change in a few months, but in the meantime, I believe we are encouraging good sleep habits that are helping her now and will hopefully provide framework for sleeping habits as she grows. And it hasn't been that difficult that if we have to retrain her in a few months, so what?

Before daytime naps, I put her on the changing table, lights out, white noise on, change diaper, put on swaddle, and then we sit for a little bit in the dark. When she starts slow blinking, she goes into bed and I shush her for a minute- leaving the room while she's still falling asleep.

Bedtime routine is bath (every other night), lotion, change diaper, pjs, bedtime story, lights out, white noise, and then sit in dark til sleepy and put down drowsy. Most of the time she's already sleepy after her story so we just go ahead and put her down.

I will say I think the most important part is learning your LO's sleep cues. If I miss the window (too far after the sleep cues), putting her down is much more of a chore. Getting her in the dark and calm as soon as I see her cues means she falls asleep easily. I took notes for two weeks of how long she was awake before the cues during the day in order to create a schedule based on her optimal wake time (which is different in the morning than afternoon by 20 minutes).
    momma2charFatPony
  • Even when I've read info on sleep training they don't recommend doing it until like 4 months. We have been following her lead on sleep. We don't try to put her down until she is well asleep. I know they need to learn to self soothe, but I think that can wait a few months. As PP said, when they're so young sleep is more fluid. The only way I've really "scheduled" her is to feed her really well right before we are trying to go somewhere so she will sleep. I don't specifically wake her either, I just gently change her and it gently wakes her.

Schedules can be great, but then they also tie you down a lot. I guess it's a personal preference, but my older sister has her kids on a schedule and she's so married to it that she almost put her kid in half day kindergarten instead of full day because she didn't want to have to pick her up during the other kids' naps. I mean it's just intense. I'm a very big type A person in life in general but somehow as a mom I just think they know what they need. They're not getting their way about a toy or a snack or something it's them listening to their body.

No judgement whatsoever on the choices of others though! I totally respect my sisters naps schedules, I just wouldn't want to be that tied down to that personally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    sdnyc99chein1
  • ElleMF728ElleMF728 member
    edited December 2015
    crbpjb said:
    Even when I've read info on sleep training they don't recommend doing it until like 4 months. We have been following her lead on sleep. We don't try to put her down until she is well asleep. I know they need to learn to self soothe, but I think that can wait a few months. As PP said, when they're so young sleep is more fluid. The only way I've really "scheduled" her is to feed her really well right before we are trying to go somewhere so she will sleep. I don't specifically wake her either, I just gently change her and it gently wakes her. Schedules can be great, but then they also tie you down a lot. I guess it's a personal preference, but my older sister has her kids on a schedule and she's so married to it that she almost put her kid in half day kindergarten instead of full day because she didn't want to have to pick her up during the other kids' naps. I mean it's just intense. I'm a very big type A person in life in general but somehow as a mom I just think they know what they need. They're not getting their way about a toy or a snack or something it's them listening to their body. No judgement whatsoever on the choices of others though! I totally respect my sisters naps schedules, I just wouldn't want to be that tied down to that personally.
    I kind of don't blame her.  Depending on the other kids ages, dealing with LOs who need to nap but don't several days a week is no fun at all.  Although I'm definitely biased since I don't want my kids in full day kinder anyway, so it wouldn't bother me. However, now that my older child is 2 he is way more adaptable to schedule changes and can handle the occasional no nap day.  However, yesterday he didn't nap and he ended up falling asleep in his spaghetti! 

ETA: Bad phrasing