June 2016 Moms
Options

2 door car and car seats

About a month before we found out I was pregnant we bought a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 2 door. About a week after finding out I was pregnant I had to put my niece (7 months) and her car seat in the back of my Jeep and it took two people and was an ordeal.

So, my question is... for you mama's that have or had 2 door cars and a baby, did you just buy a second car seat to leave in the 2 door car or were there car seats that worked especially well for you?

We also have a 4 door Corolla that will most likely be our primary vehicle, but you never know. So, I'm just looking for some opinions from people that have been in a similar situation. Thanks!

Re: 2 door car and car seats

• Options
    I never had a two door car, but I HIGHLY recommend getting a car seat for both cars regardless of the number of doors.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    @NicknShan Really? I hadn't even really considered that outside of our 2 door issue.

Is that more of a convenience thing or more of a safety thing? Not having to reinstall the base and such when you move the seat from car to car?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NicknShanNicknShan member
    edited December 2015
    @ahernandez I guess I could have added on to my original post.

We had 1 infant car sear, but two bases.  One base stayed in each car, but we only had one infant car seat since they just latched into the base.  We had two bases initially when DS was born, and I returned one thinking we could just transfer.  Within two weeks we went back and bought the second base.

We moved my DS to a convertible seat somewhere around 10 months (when he was just too heavy to lug around the infant seat).  That was when we got two car seats.  My husband and I both work, and share responsibilities with day care pick up/drop off, so it is SO much more convenient to have a seat installed in each car.

As for safety vs. convenience, I would imagine it would be both actually.  Convenience.  Yes yes yes.  Not to mention - the convertibles can be really heavy and an even BIGGER PITA if you take that in and out (especially of a 2 door).  Safety, once your car seat is installed right one time, you don't really have to worry about it anymore.  I check the level and sturdiness from time to time, but it is nice to just have to adjust straps.  Car seats are not always made to be easily installed.

I am not someone that like to spend money in places I don't need to.  I am pretty frugal.  So, initially it was hard for me to buy 2 seats for that reason, but we found something that worked for us, and I couldn't ever imagine having to transfer a convertible seat, or even the bases for that matter.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    Yes. Get 2 bases. Your can always install the infant seat without a base but it will take longer and is a pain.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Installing a car seat is not a quick and easy thing. An infant bucket seat without a base is one thing, but a larger car seat for an older infant or toddler is not meant to be swapped between cars. Every time I have to take mine out is a hideous ordeal, even though the model I have is supposedly an especially easy one to install. 
  • Options
    Definitely get two bases! When DS moved to a convertable we bought the $35 seat from Walmart for DH's truck that DS rides in maybe once a month. The officer that works at our school is also a certified car seat tech or whatever it's called and he said that all seats on the market have to meet the same safety requirements regardless of price. We got a good highly rated seat for my car.
    you're gonna hate yourself if you don't have one in both. Especially if you want to run out real quick.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Second what @VikingGirl12 said about all seats meeting the same safety standards - you don't have to feel like you need an expensive seat to keep your baby safe. That said, sometimes it is difficult to find a seat that fits in a small car, so it might be harder to find a budget one specifically that fits. More expensive seats also tend to be easier to use and install. Most decent stores will let you check the display model in your car to see if it'll fit ok.
  • Options
    ahernandez16ahernandez16 member
    edited December 2015
    That's good to know! I always equated a lower priced car seat to being less safe. We'll probably go the 2 base route and buy 2 convertables - and buy a cheaper one for the Jeep which will probably rarely be used to transport the baby. Thanks ladies!

Edited because spelling.
  • Options
    We have 2 britax seats installed in both cars for my 4yr old. I keep a cheaper, lightweight evenflo in the garage in case we need to let someone else use it. It saves a lot of aggravation.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers